cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Comparo - Moto Buds vs LG Tone Pro

Sprint Product Ambassador

I was asked by a coworker to compare the LG Bluetooth earbuds to the new Motorola Buds. Sprint sells several BT headsets by LG; Tone Pro, Tone Ultra and Tone Infinim. I own the LG Tone Pro BT headset, so I can make that comparison. Sprint recently started selling the LG Tone Infinims, equipped with Harman Kardon sound. I expect them to have better sound reproduction. They also cost 2x (retail pricing) what the Tone Pro and Moto Buds cost. We also sell the LG Tone Ultra with signature JBL sound, which retail for $99.99, but I have no experience with them.

This blog is my opinion of how the LG Tone Pro compares to the Motorola Buds.

What's the same for both:

• Wrap-around-the-neck style
  • Ear pods snap to magnetic ends when not in use for easy access
  • Rechargeable internal battery via microUSB port
  • Music play time is rated at 10 hours
  • aptX® Compatible for best music sound
  • Easy to use buttons and controls for managing music and phone calls
  • Stereo Bluetooth for great music sound
  • Bluetooth 3.0 specification
  • Built in mic for phone calls, voice command/search
  • Passive noise isolation via different size rubber earbud tips
  • Compatible with any BT equipped smartphone, tablet laptop or device
  • Offered in Black and White models
  • Retail price $69.99

With the similarities out of the way, let's talk differences.

The LG Tone Pro have excellent sound and easy to use controls located on the "ends" of the neck wrap. The Moto Buds have similarly excellent sound, also with easy to use controls located on the ends of the neck wrap. The Moto Buds come with three preset EQ settings that you can switch between "on the fly" while listening to any source.

The LG Tone Pro seems a little more flexible around the neck as the band is thinner. The radio and battery is built into rather bulky, "bulbous" end pieces. The Moto Buds are noticeably stiffer around the neck and much less pliable. The radio and battery is mostly housed in a thicker section at the center-back of the neck band. The ends of the Moto Buds are thin and light, less mass, so less flopping around if you're jogging.

As stated above, both the LG Tone Pro and Moto Buds are available in Black and White models. However, the LGs additionally come in some fun colors like Blue and Red.

The LG Tone Pro is rated for 15 hours of talk time and 21 days standby. The Moto Buds are rated for 10 hours talk time and 17 days standby.

LG Tone Pro weighs about 35 grams. Moto Buds weigh 33 grams, so they are a few hairs lighter around the neck.

LG Bluetooth supported profiles:

• Headset (HSP)
  • Hands-Free (HFP)
  • Advanced Audio Distribution (A2DP)
  • Audio/Video Remote Control (AVRCP)

Moto Buds Bluetooth supported profiles:

• Advanced Audio Distribution Profile - A2DP 1.0
  • Audio/Video Control Transport Protocol - AVCTP 1.3, Controller, Target
  • Audio/Video Distribution Transport Protocol - Acceptor, AVDTP 1.0, Initiator, Sink, Source
  • Audio/Video Remote Control Profile - AVRCP v1.4, AVRCP v1.4, Controller, Target
  • Baseband
  • Generic Access Profile
  • Generic Audio/Video Distribution Profile - Acceptor, GAVDP 1.0
  • Hands-Free Profile - CVSD audio coding over SCO
  • Hands-Free (HF)
  • Hands-Free Profile 1.5
  • Headset Profile - Headset (HS) , Headset Profile v1.2
  • Interoperability Test Specification
  • Link Manager
  • Logical Link Control and Adaptation Protocol
  • Radio
  • RFCOMM with TS 07.10
  • Serial Port Profile
  • Service Discovery Protocol

The LG Tone Pro supports Advanced Multipoint connections, which means you can pair the Tone Pros with two devices simultaneously. This is handy if you have a tablet and smartphone by your side. You can listen to music or a movie on your tablet and the smartphone can cut in if you get a phone call. The Moto Buds do not support Advanced Multipoint, which means you have to disconnect one paired device in order to pair up with a different device. Boo!

Where the Moto Buds really shine is Bluetooth connection distance. The Moto Buds are compatible with BT Spec 1 devices, which means they can theoretically stay connected up to ~100m (~330 ft). The Moto Buds advertise a 150 ft maximum connectivity to keep it safe. If you're one who leaves your phone or tablet on a desk or table and wander around with the headphones on, then the Moto Buds will give you superior distance performance. If you keep your paired smartphone close by, like in your pocket or bag, then the feature is negligible.

The LG Tone Pro is rated for Spec 2 devices only, which means maximum connection distance is no more than ~10m (~33 ft). If you read up on BT specs, you will also see that BT Spec 1 power output is 100mW, vs Spec 2 output is 2.5mW, or a 2000% power output difference (for those concerned about RF exposure).

As far as sound goes, I'd say both the LG Tone Pro and Moto Buds have really good sound. I like the built in EQ settings of the Moto Buds as I listen to a WIDE variety of music styles. They both have decent, but not overwhelming volume.

One major differentiator between the two units is resistance to water and sweat. The Moto Buds have it and the LG Tone Pros don't. If you are an outdoors person, or if you occasionally get caught in the rain or a lawn sprinkler, or if you work up a nice sweat when you workout, then you want the Moto Buds. They will take it. LG does not recommend you get your Tone Pros wet.

I hope these details help you make the best choice in wireless BT headphones. Please post your questions below and I'll try to answer them.

Until next time,

Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee