cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors– Motorola Buds Bluetooth performance

Sprint Product Ambassador

A Bluetooth device can only be as good as its Bluetooth transmission performance.  In this blog I will share my crude empirical experience with my Motorola Buds Bluetooth headset.

Just to refresh memory, the Motorola Buds can be comfortably worn around your neck.  I literally wear it all day and most of the time is not aware that it is around my neck.

IMAG0442.jpg

My previous LG Bluetooth headset occasionally dropped its connection while I am driving.  I was not able to pin point whether it was an issue of the phone (my HTC One E8/M8) or the LG headset.  Occasionally, while I am on a voice conversation while driving, I just lost the Bluetooth connectivity to the LG; I had to switch the Bluetooth device off and on to regain the conversation via the headset.  I had the feeling it was something to do with the combination of the CDMA radio condition which triggered this issue.  I have not observed the same thing with the Motorola Buds.

I took a simple test, by placing the phone on the ground with music playing and slowly walking away from the phone.  I did this in open space as well as inside my house.

In the open space, if I walk away from the phone, the first noticeable sound drop is about 153ft away. It is also worth mentioning that it corresponds to the situation where my back is facing the phone, so likely the Bluetooth antenna of the headphone has direct line of site to the phone.  If I face the other way, the first noticeable sound quality drop is about 105 ft. away.

Inside my house, the sound quality starts dropping when I am about 50ft linear distance through drywalls and furniture.  With that being said, I can place the phone in the middle of my house and can have good conversation on the phone or listen to the music throughout the house.  It is a drawback that this Bluetooth headset does not vibrate on incoming call, so I do miss a few phone calls while I am using the phone inside the house.  However, I usually check the caller ID before I answer the call so I like to have the phone close to me if I really want to answer any call anyway.

Bye for now.

Your Sprint Product Ambassador*

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.