cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Motorola Buds Review (Moto Buds)

Journeyman

buds-white-540.png

The days of getting tangled in wired headphones are over! Bluetooth technology has allowed users to

break free from the literal tethers of wired audio, and allowed them to enjoy their tunes and podcasts from

across the room, or without worrying that they'll unplug while swinging their arms on a jog, or flailing

their arms in the air, dancing furiously to Tailor Swift songs. Whatever the case may be, if you are in the

market for a pair of bluetooth headsets, you will want to seriously consider the Motorola buds.

Specs:

From the Motorola website (source)

Wireless Bluetooth range - Up to 150 ft extended range (When paired to a Bluetooth Class 1 device)

Bluetooth version - 3.0

Profiles

• Advanced Audio Distribution Profile - A2DP 1.0
  • Audio/Video Control Transport Protocol - AVCTP 1.3, Controller, Target
  • Audio/Video Distribution Transport Protocol - Acceptor, AVDTP 1.0, Initiator, Sink, Source
  • Audio/Video Remote Control Profile - AVRCP v1.4, AVRCP v1.4, Controller, Target
  • Baseband 
  • Generic Access Profile
  • Generic Audio/Video Distribution Profile - Acceptor, GAVDP 1.0
  • Hands-Free Profile - CVSD audio coding over SCO
  • Hands-Free (HF)
  • Hands-Free Profile 1.5
  • Headset Profile - Headset (HS) , Headset Profile v1.2
  • Interoperability Test Specification
  • Link Manager
  • Logical Link Control and Adaptation Protocol
  • Radio
  • RFCOMM with TS 07.10
  • Serial Port Profile
  • Service Discovery Protocol 

Audio

1-mic

Advanced voice prompts

Audio Performance - Premium HD speakers. AptX® audio coding technology offers audio quality indistinguishable from wired with impressive dynamic range.

Music

Dedicated music buttons - 3 EQ presets for customized listening

Physical

Dimensions - 180.4mm X 75.18mm X 139.08mm

Weight - 33g

Wearing Style - In-Ear Wrap Around (Micro-Adjustability)

Power

Connector port - Micro USB

Standby time - 17 days

Talk time - Up to 10 hours

Note: All talk and standby times quoted are approximate. Battery performance depends on configuration, signal strength, operating temperature, features selected, and voice, data and other application usage patterns.

ruby-volume.PNG

(source)

ruby-mfb.PNG

(source)

Ergonomics and Appearance

The headset is beautiful. It not only looks sturdier than some of the competition, it is! It does not feel

flimsy in the least, and looks and feels like a high quality bluetooth headset. The device weighs in at a

light 33g, with most of the weight distributed on the back, and most of the buttons located in the front. The

backside has the power/pairing button, and the microUSB charging port, which is covered by a small plastic

lid. Most of the device is a matte plastic, with a small strip of rubber lining the bottom of both "antlers"

(for lack of a better word), presumably for comfort while resting on skin. The actual buds are, by far, the

most comfortable buds I have ever used.  Motorola includes several tips to make sure the size is just

right, and the buds actually position themselves within the ear to optimize comfort and sound cancelation.

The comfort alone is enough to make me want to buy 5 of these. I can run around with my sprightly

dog without having to worry about them flying out of my ear. The headset is not extremely flexible, but

the actual buds are attached to a left and right cord, respectively, and are fastened with very strong

magnetic tips, securing the buds in place when not in use.

Performance and Sound Quality

motorola-buds-3.png

(source)

For the most part, the sound quality has been excellent for me. I have been using this with my Moto X

(1st gen), and have had no complaints. Highs, mids, and lows are pretty well balanced. I mainly listen

to intrumental music, normally heavy on strings and brass, and sound fidelity seems to be accurate.

There are also a few preset equalizer settings available, so if you don't like the stock one, you will want to

give those whirl. Call quality has also been great for me. I hear everyone with no issues, and the other end

hears me crystal clear.

I used to think there was no replacing my pioneer wired headphones, but these produce a good enough

sound for me to think otherwise, especially when taking the extra "convenience" features into consideration.

Bluetooth pairing is, by far, the fastest of any wireless headset I have used in the past. Battery life is also

better than any other headset I have used. It is advertised as up to "10 hours", but I have been able to

get, with sporadically heavy use, about 2 full days worth of audio goodness from these (see my battery blog).

The only possible complaint I could have is that I cannot seek within a track via the headset, but that is

a feature most people won't notice is missing.

motobuds.jpg

(source)

Overall Impressions and final thoughts

I really enjoy these headsets. Pairing is quick (with the ability to be paired to multiple devices), sound quality

is good, and build quality is better than every bluetooth headset I have used. This is a quality device that I had

a hard time finding any negatives on. One thing to watch out for is the flexibility of the actual headset, so bigger

necks beware, but the buds being attached by cords gives more flexibility to compensate. If you absolutely need

the "seek" feature, you may also have to take that into considering, but the other niceties that come with this amazing

deal offset anything you may miss with that. I would highly recommend these to anyone trying to make the wired to wireless leap.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee