cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10/12 - Motorola Photon Software Update - 4.5.1A-1_SUN-198_6

Journeyman

my phone will not update.  phone prompted update this morning by itself, keep saying "update failed"  I have tried 3 times... it downloads, then attempts update, then error message. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mark:

My phone is a recent replacement from Asurion (the autofocus on my first one failed). Currently has 45.2.7.MB855 installed.  I believe this is the first update since I received it last week

Journeyman

Same error message as the others?

Mark

Motorola Support

allisonreneecardone wrote:

my phone will not update.  phone prompted update this morning by itself, keep saying "update failed"  I have tried 3 times... it downloads, then attempts update, then error message. 

Journeyman

@stanmarsh

Thanks for the info.

Mark

Motorola Support

Journeyman

Re: 10/12 - Motorola Photon Software Update - 4.5.1A-1_SUN-198_6

Mark, this is my first update. I just got the phone few days ago. It's actually my second unit because the first one was giving me the SOD. This replacement one is still giving me the SOD, however Sprint store doesn't want to replace it anymore and said to try to update it first. Maybe that would fix the SOD. But i've tried over 15 times already and it has failed all times. Ive also factory reset the phone and still failed after the update.  Another user suggested doing OTA updates on recovery mode. Could that work

Phone has 45.2.7.MB855

Journeyman

@stryz

Sit tight please. Doing it in recovery mode won't work as it isn't passing the security checks in order to ensure a safe install.

Mark

Motorola Support

Journeyman

I'm in a similar situation.  Had the update messsage awaiting on my phone this morning.  Clicked to install.  Phone rebooted.  Came back up with message that update failed (no further details as to why).  Went to the android market and manually updated youtube app after getting notification for it to be updated.  Went to Phone Info to manually restart update.  Now phone is stuck in this state where it thinks it's downloading the update (it's not), yet I can't cancel or restart the update.  Rebooting makes no difference.  I just bought this phone last week and did an update at the store when I unboxed it.  Firmware says 4.5.1A-1_SUN154_6.  How do I force it to update now? I can't believe there is no cancel/retry capability.

UPDATE: Was able to get the phone to finally download again but update failed again same as the way described in this thread.  That's 2x it failed now, and no feedback at all as to why. TO be clear the ONLY message I get is that the update failed -- nothing technical at all.  The only app I've installed is Quadrant for benchmarking.  The only other odd things I've done to the phone settings are:

1) I set quite a few things to auto end in task manager because bloat annoys me. But nothing on my auto-end list seems like it would affect updates:

Flash

Live Wallpapers

Bookmarks Widget

Books

Calculator

Camera

CarDock (Why does this even start up?)

Contacts

FM Radio

Files

Live Wallpaper Picker

Magic Smoke Wallpapers

Music Visualization Wallpapers

Photo Editor

Preset

Print to Retail

QuickSms

Quickoffice

Rich Location

Sprint ID

Sprint Installer

Sprint Mobile Wallet

Sprint Worldwide

Sprint Zone

Street View

TeleNav GPS

Video Player

Voice Readouts

Voicemail

World Clock

Youtube

Zoom Mode

2) I enabled encryption for a while but then turned it back off due to the impact on performance and battery and reduced video recording ability

Those are the only possibly suspect things I have done to this phone in the four days I've had it.

Journeyman

@Noel0

Until we understand why users are getting that error you won't be able to update your phone. Don't worry I'm not going anywhere.

Mark

Motorola Support

Journeyman

I just attempted one last time, it took almost 2 hours to download, then it rebooted.. same message.. SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED!    with the exclamation point..  I can tell you this ..all 4 times, the download progress got stuck at 37% for at least an hour...  Also stuck at 7% for about 45 minutes.  I just got this phone (replacement, but it is brand new) less than a week ago. I have only downloaded RHAPSODY and a flashlight app thus far. 

Journeyman

I dont think it matters what apps we installed since I even tried updating right after a factory reset and still resulted in "software update failed".  I do get the android and triangle with the ! and the status bar after the reboot. The status bar goes to around 20% then disappears and continues to boot the phone..then the update failed notification once you enter the phone. So frustrating.

Journeyman

Yup that's exactly my scenario...then I'm not even gonna fiddle..this is obviously their QA mistake. It's not too late for me to go Samsung Galaxy II I suppose.

Journeyman

I wanted to replace mine with the the Galaxy Epic touch but the Sprint store said I can only exchange once. This is my second unit.  But I'm still within the 14 days exchange period. It a whole big BS.  My brother's Photon isn't updating also.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat