ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10/12 - Motorola Photon Software Update - 4.5.1A-1_SUN-198_6

Journeyman

Just got a second Photon (for my wife), mine was a first day phone.

My phone had no problem with the update, did it a few days ago.

My wife's brand new phone is having the same problem everyone else here is reporting - stays stuck on downloading for hours, finally says ready to install, then the update fails.

Journeyman

Re: 10/12 - Motorola Photon Software Update - 4.5.1A-1_SUN-198_6

Mark

I purchased a Photon this past Sunday.  It would not update the software. Called Sprint and they said I could bring it in and if they could not fix it they would replace it with a new one. My reply was I purchased it at Best buy and would take it back to them. So I did Monday...SAME PROBLEM. Called Sprint Tech support again Monday night.  After working with them for quite a while including hard resets and reprovsioning the phone they gave me the Tech support direct number. Talked with Tech support several times through the day yesterday. Did all their recommended steps including the full reset going down to the Andriod recovery, No change.  They were able to see each of my Failures and told me the system shows it is missing files for the upgrade. They forced it to me (I had to keep calling back as I was at work) so I talked with 3 different Tech support people. The last one during the day said she could see multiple times trying this so she removed them from the system thinking this was confusing the phone. Then she said when I get home disable everything but WIFI and try it again . FYI one of the things they had me do earlier in the day was after doing the andriod recovery  (I had to do it 3 times yesterday) but on the last one they said do not log into anything just go to the update and that failed too.

Anyway it failed again last night. Yesterday they told me if this fails again take it back to the store and exchange it. I explained I have already done this and If I do go back I am NOT coming back out with a Photon.  I even found your updates  on the Motorola owners site and checked the down load on WIFI only as you posted there, still no change.I also see when I do a google search that this (or similar problems)have existed on past Photon upgrades.  Could this be a Photon Problem that Moto is trying to mask? After all I do find telling the world it comes with 16 gig internal memory and then you find there is really only 8.92 available and the rest is consumed internally and hidden( Blot ware, or is it moto blur stealing the space) either way that looks like deceptive advertising

I plan to call one last time this morning. I also plan to bring everything that I need to return the phone to work with me. If I do not see some reasonable solution from TS or posted by lunch  my plan is to go to Best Buy return this phone and leave with the EVO 3d. I really could care less about the 3d it is a gimmick but it is either that or go back to my Samsung Epic which continues to crash and have probelms.  Bad thing is I really like the way this phone feels and operates but if I have had all these problems and I am only in day 3 and it is only a simple update, I'm afraid of what other  problems are waiting when I can't return this phone

Journeyman

I have just finished working with the 2nd line tech support on this issue. They  found the problem and I'm not real happy with the fix. The reason the phone will  not update is there are 2 CRITICAL files missing. They watched over the air as  this phone attempted to update. The Phone is missing the DATA SAVE file and the  CACHE SAVE file. There is NO way to install these unless I do one of these 2  options. 1,  go to Sprint and have them replace the phone with one already at  the newest level of software.  I see past post of others having issue with  software upgrades ( one shows the same issues when people tried to upgrade to  this level of software) The question I then have is HOW do I know these files  are present on one which is already at the current software (4.5.1a-1_SUN-198_6)  The told me with out these files the phone will never upgrade to this or any  other later version. To me unless there is some way know 100% that file is there  it is a crap shoot and once my 14 days are up, I'm stuck.

The other option is to send this phone to Motorola so the can FLASH the  phone. So it really is not as simple as replacing the file. This means I have no  phone for a week or even more depending on Shipping times. This option is off  the table.

I really like the way the phone performs but not being able to update is an  issue. If I keep it am I just waiting for the next issue to appear?  I went to  this phone as my Samsung EPIC to me is total failure. I have spent more time in  the Sprint store the past 8 month getting my epic (and my kids Samsung  intercepts) repaired then I have in the prior 13 years with Sprint.  Each trip  to a Sprint store basically means I"ve wasted 3 hours of time. At this point the  EVO is looking better all the time

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well that makes sense now. That is bad since all the "recent" photons have this issue. My phone is a week and a half old and got one replaced already. Both phones wont update plus the Sleep of Death.  This is a hard issue to solve for us...They need to find a way to do this over the air.

Journeyman

Well at this point having just spent 8+ months in Samsung Hell with the Epic I think I am heading to Best buy and returning it. I think the Tech support people I dealt with at Motorola really did a good job compared to the attitude you get from Samsung Tech support. However I can not escape the fact that from Day 1 this phone has had problems and right now I have no clue that once this problem is resolved that won't happen again. If you look onthe right side of the forum page there are links to other photon upgrade probelms at lower levels of software. They are clearly listed, 8/23/11 4.5.1A-1_SUN-154-5 ugrade problems, 9/14/11 4.5.1A SUN_154-6 upgrade problems, now 4.5.1A-1_sun -198_6. Does not take much to see there is a repeating pattern

That (at least to me) seems to say there is something bigger going on. How did these 2 CRITICAL files get repeatedly missed on brand new phones?  Was this the problem with those other upgrade issue?  Think I need to go get the EVO even if the software does not seem as slick and the Camera is only 5 meg.  Could care less about the 3d but from everyone I have spoke to over the last month of research.. it works 

Journeyman

i am having this very same problem. my dad and i just got back from best buy not too long ago to get new phones. we both went with the Photon and it prompted us that there was a system update and i have tried several times to download the update on both phones and it keeps saying system update failed. we just got these phones not too long ago and so i thought it might just be these units. but i'm researching on different message boards and everyone seems to have this problem. what is going with this update?

Journeyman

I upgraded from an EVO to the Photon just a month ago. My Photon stopped downloading the newest update.

I did a hard reset after backing up all my data.

After the Photon restarted, it downloaded the update with no problems.

Journeyman

Celloholic  Interesting when you say you got yours about a month ago yet it seems like all the people with issues (myself included) just got theirs.  You said yours was updating but stopped  then a hard reset fixed it. Then you have me and others like Santos_April12 who just got one and they do not update. In the less then 1 week I had this it has already been replaced. Advanced 2nd line tech support at Motorola has identified the problem as the missing files and there is no way to solve it with out trying new ones or sending it back to Motorola. Moto Tech support walked me through several hard resets done differently then the way Sprint does it but no help for the problem

I went to the local Sprint repair center and the tech said others have been in there too with this issue and they did not know how to solve it.  Based on what you say and what others are seeing it seems like there may be some type of problem in the manufacture of these phones in the last month.  The local store told me my only option is to return it to Best buy (They are $100 cheaper then Sprint) Best Buy has told me they are not going to activate phone after phone until they find one that works. SO I go back to the Epic or maybe an Evo 3D. The only other options is to root the phone. It does surprise me that anyone can go root the phone and restore the files with a stock ROM but the Sprint store can't. The issue there is the waranty would be void.

Overall I really like the phone but with all these problems this early what else lies ahead. The Sprint tech told me today he really wants to love this phone but can't as too many are starting to show problems.  Another told me of a phone they had a short time ago and it has problems and he said till this day they still can not resolve the problems. Hopefully the Photon won't be it's replacement but they did not seem too encouraged to recommend this phone today.  I also noticed it has been a couple weeks since I've seen the photon commerical on TV. It was always on a few weeks ago and now many sellers are at $99 and I saw one at $49... Coincidence?

Journeyman

I just went back into my Reward Zone screen and saw I got my Photon on 8-10-11. I purchased it at a Best Buy Mobile at a local mall.

I have gotten all my current Sprint phones from Best Buy. The only problem I have run into is that within the thirty days Sprint will not tough the phone. They told me to go to Best Buy.

I am in North Carolina if that helps track down a bad batch.

Have you tried to reload the OS from your SD? I know I saw the last update file posted online. This is a link to the 10-2-11 update on XDA.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1202666

Journeyman

So you got the phone when it was new. htere have been 2 software upgrades since them The current one (in is this forum) looks liek the 3rd one.  I'm in Texas and over 2 months after you got yours so finding when things went wrong would be hard. I suspect Moto and probably figure this out since they have their own forum and this issue is on there too.

FYI Sprint has change their policy and now you only have 14 days to change your mind on a phone. Best buy will replace it for up to 30 days but they told me after 14 days they will only swap it for the same model. Prior to 14 days you can back the whole transaction out but on the 15th day you are stuck with the phone. After teh 30 days at Best Buy you are either getting it replaced by Sprint or the geek squad.

Journeyman

Mark or someone at Sprint or Motorola please let us know if you are monitoring this discussion and if possible give us a status report. 

Journeyman

Not sure if Mark is monitoring this as I have not seen any reply but I was offically told by Sprint today they were notified on 10/18 by Motorola that this is a Valid  phone problem.  I have been dealing with Sprint  on another issue and they called me today on that issue. While on the phone I mentioned I was returning the Photon and they told me they got offical notice on 10/18 on this problem.  I really like the phone but now I have the EVO 3d. It is the only other current option with a dual core and is 1.2 gig vs 1.0 gig  on the Photon.  If you doubt it, call sprint and have them put you through to tech support. They will have the notice. Since there were several people on this forum who also just got this phone. If your within the 14 day return window you may want to take advantage of it.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat