cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7/11 - Motorola Photon 4G Software Update - 4.5.1A-1_SUN-254_13

42 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: 7/11 - Motorola Photon 4G Software Update - 4.5.1A-1_SUN-254_13

Photon users are better off using GO team Launcher software. Then apply ice or jellybean themes or the many other themes available. It's much more customizable then any stock Android OS. I've been running it for months without any issues..

Even if they offered ICE or Jellybean I wouldn't change, that's how good it is. It's free too and you have nothing to lose. Most reliable and trouble free software out of all the replacement launchers. Publisher updates and improves software on a regular basis.

Stop crying and just install it.. You'll be glad you didn't waste your time with ICE or Jellybean from Android/Motorola. Motorola already knows that Photon users love it, so why should they even bother wasting their time on something that isn't even as capable as the GO Launcher EX software.

Journeyman

Photon users are better off using GO team Launcher software. Then apply ice or jellybean themes or the many other themes available. It's much more customizable then any stock Android OS. I've been running it for months without any issues..

Even if they offered ICE or Jellybean I wouldn't change, that's how good it is. It's free too and you have nothing to lose. Most reliable and trouble free software out of all the replacement launchers. Publisher updates and improves software on a regular basis.

Stop crying and just install it.. You'll be glad you didn't waste your time with ICE or Jellybean from Android/Motorola. Motorola already knows that Photon users love it, so why should they even bother wasting their time on something that isn't even as capable as the GO Launcher EX software.

Journeyman

For those that haven't seen it yet, there is an interesting bit of conjecture about the WHY going on in the Motorola forums.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/e598071946

It is well worth the read.

Journeyman

To my knowledge, 4.5.1A-1_SUN-254_13 is the latest build and that incorporates Android 2.3.5, NOT 2.3.6 (If anyone has official proof otherwise, please post)

System version is 45.4.13.MB855.Sprint.en.US

My current PRL is 51090

=====

If it indicates as "not available", you may be roaming or it may not like Wi-Fi, so I would try this process:

Force your service onto Sprint only:

=====

From the home screen:

MENU button on phone (bottom lower left corner)

Select "Wireless & Networks"

Wi-Fi "Un-check" the box to force it to disable during this process.

Scroll to bottom and select "Mobile Networks"

"Network Mode"

"Sprint Only"  (If this is NOT already Sprint only, then note what it is set to in case you wish to restore it back to what it was later)

=====

Then perform a regular update request:

Return to Home page by hitting the House icon.

MENU

Settings

Scroll down and select "About Phone"

Re-verify that you are not already on Android 2.3.5 and 4.5.1A-1_SUN-254_13

Verify that you have at least 51090

"System Updates"

Select and perform each of the three updates in order

You're not going to see much of an improvement from 2.3.4 to 2.3.5 and there were MANY complaints about it that can be gleaned from reading about this update in this thread and others.

=====

Once complete, you can restore the roaming and Wi-Fi settings above as desired.

Good Luck, and let us know if this helped if you do decide to install the update.

Journeyman

You will not get anymore official updates for the Photon 4g.  Motorola and/or sprint has stopped software development on the Photon 4g.  Eventhough we were promised Android 4.0 ICS software when we purchased the phone, and both Sprint and Motorola signed the Android Update Alliance that guarentees 18 months of software updates on new android phoned back in 2011.  They both have failed to update the Photon 4g phone to ICS.

Motorola is giving people $100 trade in credit for other phones that are not getting upgraded (if you purchase a new motorola phone from the list that is...none of which is available on the sprint network.)

Journeyman

I keep getting a "check for update is not available at this time. Try again later" message when I try to update my phone. Even when connected to wifi. This is frustrating. Im running on all old software including 2.3.4 when 2.3.6 is available. I want to be able to get the most out of this phone that is supposed to so great. Please help!!!!

Journeyman

Yea that google play really sucks.  U know since they started google play the phone defaults to sending all your contacts, email info, personal info to google servers??  you have to uncheck all those options in a special settings screen and hopefully you did that immediately after google play was updated or else google knows all your freinds and familys names and phone numbers, maybe even addresses if you enter that in your phone.  And if you uncheck these options now its too late, they keep whatever has been uploaded to them. GUess where all that goes? marketing firms. So you'll never have an end to junk texts, emails, and mail.  This is all in the NONprivacy notice.

Iphone is no picnic either. Ive had one and Id say its even more of a hassle.  You're forced to use Itunes to  load any kind of media to your phone.  You cant just copy and paste media from your computer to your phone like the Photon.  Itunes makes you sync your entire phone phone every time you want to add a song or app to your phone., takes like 10 min.

Journeyman

I think you are correct about Motorola having a bad batch.  My first one sucked, all the problems people have mentioned, I was ready to throw it against the wall.

I was able to get a replacement Photon and its been working very well and the battery last longer.

Journeyman

You haven't had any problems with texts?  My girlfriend is on Boost and when I text her, she will either not receive it, or receive just the shell of the text, indicating she has received one from me, but the message is not there at all or just one line.

I bought this phone because it was supposedly an international phone, however, when I travelled to Mexico, I had problems placing calls back to the US.  Also, of the 20 texts I sent from there to the US, only about 5 made it through, but I was charged for all 20.  It was explained to me that I was charged because the text went out, whether it was received or not was not part of the consideration for charges.?  I was also told that while roaming in other countries, we are on that countries network, and so if they are having problems, we roamers are last priority.  That made sense until a friend's daughter went to Mexico and had no problems with texts or calls on her i-phone, also on Sprint network. 

Finally, when I text my girlfriend or her family members in Mexico, they only receive part of the message so it's not just the Boost phone.  I think it's the Photon.

Journeyman

i believe they had a bad batch of phones my photon works perfectly never had a problem