Highlighted
Wizard

9/14 - Motorola Photon 4G Software Update - 4.5.1A-1_SUN-154_6

Motorola Photon Software Update - 4.5.1A-1_SUN-154_6

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Adjustments to Wi-Fi functionality

Important Notes:

- The new software version is: 4.5.1A-1_SUN-154_6

- The customer may initiate the update or wait until a notification is sent to the device

- Updates are released in stages. When checking for the update, you may receive a message that no update is available,  

check back later or wait until the update notification is sent to your device  

- Refer to the Motorola Photon Software Updates blog for install instructions

19 REPLIES 19
Journeyman

My phone seems slower since applying this upgrde.

Wizard

KB_BOYKIN,

Are you referring to the data speeds or the phones snappiness moving from one screen to the other? Have you tried power cycling by pulling the battery with the device on after the update was installed?

Journeyman

Re: 9/14 - Motorola Photon 4G Software Update - 4.5.1A-1_SUN-154_6

The phone snappiness is most definitely gone.  Not the snappiness that attracted me to the phone.  I did try try taking out the battery, but it was with the device off.  I will try pulling the battery with the device on.  It definitely makes me want to remove the update.  I liked the phone better before this update and I didn't have any issues with the phone.  Just got it one week ago.

Update:  Tried it with the phone on and still is laggy, not horribly, but definitely noticeable from before the update

Wizard

KB_BOYKIN,

When are you experiencing the lag? I haven't seen anything posted on this and couldn't really find any other reports on Motorola forums or various Android forums. Could you give me exact descriptions and examples so I can test it out with one of our lab devices please?

Journeyman

When the phone is turned back on from screen shutting off, it is like a slow refresh whereas before the update it seemed to snap instantly to the home screen or whatever screen I left.  Apps seemed to pop up instantly, but now seem to be a few milliseconds slower to pop up.  The MarketPlace was the fastest loading of any phone I have had (even the latest version), but now loads at average speed and sometimes takes a several seconds to load.  Email takes a few seconds whereas it seemed to load instantly before the upgrade.  I realize these are all subjective.  Even the Sprint Splash Screen seems slower than before.  I switched from the Epic 4G to this phone and it was definitely snappier when I first got it and now after the upgrade, it seems to be about the same...

Wizard

KB_BOYKIN,

I can't really tell a difference on the device I tested this on, I usually monitor other forums so I'll keep an eye out for any one else reporting this to see if it's a growing trend or anything. I have seen some times where a software update can cause issues almost as if some of the pieces of the software weren't correctly installed so I've seen where a hard reset was able to fix it. I had this happen to my phone in the past when I moved from 2.1 to 2.2 and began having all these weird issues that were really hard to duplicate but something just didn't seem right, after I did a hard reset I didn't notice it any more.

Journeyman

Yeah,  I might just have to try that tonight when I get home.  Thanks for your help.

Journeyman

Did hard reset last night.  Maybe a small noticeble improvement, but homescreen still seems laggy on unlock and return from other screens.  Gosh, I wish I had not done the upgrade.  I liked the snappiness much better before.

Journeyman

I just got the update, well it most likely came in the night, since I just took it off the charger.. I accepted it and after a few min and reboots it came up smiling.  Decided to see who else had it, and found this post. But to KB_BOYKIN I have tested the things you mention and do not see the "LAG" or slow down you mention. I do several things with my phone tho as mentioned by the Android developers.  I turn off my phone completely once a week, I only use what radio I need at the moment, ie at home/office I use wifi and leave 3g going. On the road wifi is off blue tooth is on. I wish it was efficent as my T-Mobile slate that manages the switch automatically for me. My surprise is that this is pushed out so fast after the other release.. I think Motorola and Sprint are trying to keep a better face after the horrible release with the silence on phone call problem.  The only problem I have had since the first update was I had received a call and tried to hang up, and my photon totally locked up on the screen.  Finally I did a power down and when it came back ok, and I have not had that problem since.

Journeyman

Since there are reports of lagging after this update could one of you download the Android Benchmarking app called

Quadrant and run a before and after (OTA Update) test?

Journeyman

Got the notification for this update this morning.  Ran the update and now my WIFI is actually broken.  Every time I try and activate it, it says ERROR.

I had no problems before this.

Serves me right for not checking to see what the update was for.

CharlesJR

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat