cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data streaming problems

Highlighted
Journeyman

Data streaming problems

I am having issues with data streaming apps like sprint tv, pandora, youtube etc. Pandora and youtube work with wifi on. I have tried to unistall and reinstall apps. I have spoken to two different people from Sprint technical support. I hard reset my phone 2 times, updated profile and prl. Also I tried pulling out the battery. The Sprint tech suggested I return the phone and exchange it where I purchased it. I returned to the Sprint store and was told it was a known issue with the Photon. Also I was told it would work properly in 4g. Unfortunately I don't have 4g here. Has anyone experienced this problem or heard of when an update is scheduled to come out? Thanks in advance!

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Wizard

Data streaming problems

Hello!

Sorry to hear about the problem with steaming media. At of yet, I have yet to hear of another case of this sort of behavior on the Photon. I am also not showing it listed on our recognized device issues list. What happens when you try to use an application that uses streaming data?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Data streaming problems

Hi. Sprint tv comes up with error 80000042. Pandora and youtube will both come up, but they stay stuck loading a song or video unless on wifi.

Highlighted
Wizard

Data streaming problems

You may want to check

Home > Menu > Settings > Battery & Data Manager

Select the Data Saver & make sure it's unchecked

Next select Data Delivery and make sure that both Background Data and Data Enabled are checked

Highlighted
Journeyman

Data streaming problems

Still no luck. Not sure if it's related but one thing I did notice was when I went to sprintzone and tested voice and data connection it says profile update available even after I updated it.

Highlighted
Wizard

Data streaming problems

Reboot after profile update and see what will happened

Time to go bed here. Will check tomorrow

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Data streaming problems

I use a streaming media service called Grooveshark and have the same problems!  You can try this: http://help.grooveshark.com/customer/portal/articles/95903-android-i-m-with-sprint-and-i-have-stream....  Essentially Grooveshark concluded that Sprint Evo owners were having problems because Sprint redirects all streaming multimedia through its own servers, which causes problems with a lot of streaming media providers.  I tried this but it didn't work for me however you may have more luck so give it a shot.  This can be easily undone, just write down the values that you are deleting so you can put them back in if, for whatever reason, you decide you want things to be as they were.

The process is similar on our phone, but our menus are different than described so here is what you do:

1. Go to your phone dialer, and press ##3282# (you don't have to hit send, it should bring up a hidden settings menu.)
2. Select Multimedia.
3. Press your options key (the one on the bottom left of your phone.)
4. Select Edit.
5. Put in your passcode.*
6. Replace HTTP PD Port with 0
7. Replace HTTP PD Address with 0.0.0.0.
8. You are done, back on out.

*Your passcode is really called a MSL Code.  The MSL Code is a super awesome secret code that Sprint will probably be reluctant to release to you because you might be a nice guy but they don't believe in the honor system.  This code gives you magical powers, very similar to Aladdin wishing the Genie to be free from his lamp.  They may ask you to pay the 200 dollar account cancellation fee but don't let them strong arm you.  If they refuse to give you the code then just ask them where the nearest repair shop is.  You can go there and have them perform the procedure for free.  Or you could just hang up and keep calling back till someone gives it to you because no two customer reps are the same.  You are best asking straight up for it rather than complicating things with a long explination.

Highlighted
Wizard

Data streaming problems

While this has occured on the original EVO, we actually came up with a much easier server side fix that can be pushed down. Since that issue was recognized, I haven't heard of any other device having this same issue, including the Photon. The above shouldn't hurt anything, but neither do I believe it will address the problem. If it does though, let me know so I can spread the word and see if we can get the server fix loaded for the Photon as well.

Sprint Zone will usually say that there is an update available, even if there are no problems. It's a general fix that can be applied that will almost never hurt anything, but can fix a wide variety of issues, so it is usually one of our fix steps in fixing anything with connectivity.

I did a bit more research and I could only find one other case of this. You mentioned you did a hard reset, how did you do that on this phone? There are a lot of meanings to that term and a lot of ways to do it, so I just wanted to make sure I understood which one you attempted already.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Data streaming problems

Sorry for the delayed response. The sprint rep had me do ##4digits# and reinput my phone number and another 7 digit # and my phone restarted. I got the msl code and changed the http address and port as mentioned above. Still no luck.

Highlighted
Wizard

Data streaming problems

I am going to PM you as to get some specifics in regards to your device and information.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Data streaming problems

If you guys figure out the reason he is having problems, feel free to help me because I was never able to solve my issues with Grooveshark given the HTTP PD fix they gave me.  I restored the previous data that I had changed under ##DATA#.  For now, the service will only work if I don't cache any of the songs onto the device.  (I know its a 3g issue because the service works as it should when over wifi.)  Oddly enough, when I had a motorola xprt a month ago, the service was working fine so it could just be related to the Photon 4G.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Data streaming problems

I also have this issue with any streaming app (youtube, Pandora, etc) over 3g. The display unit at my local Sprint store also exhibits this same behavior. As a test I used my wifes Optimus to play the same video on youtube. Her phone started playing in about 5 seconds, mine took about a minute.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat