cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GSM Global Data Issue -- Currently only possible with Sprint SIM

Highlighted
Journeyman

So I purchased the Photon 4G with the understanding that the GSM Radio is unlocked, and that there are NO restrictions on Pre-Paid SIM services outside of United States.  I was told by both Tech Support and Sprint World Wide Services that I can use Data and Voice on any carrier outside of the US.  This excited me because I travel to Europe almost monthly. 

Fast forward to today.  I have a Pre-Paid SIM for my carrier of Choice in Germany.  The Phone will NOT store the APN settings for the carrier... effectively cutting off my access to international data..... except for on the Sprint SIM... where I would have to pay $17-$20 per MB. 

I've called Tech Support and Sprint World Wide services..... and they do not seem to grasp the issue and try to push it off as an issue related to the Pre-Paid Sim.  It's not.  If the Phone cannot STORE the APN data, then the phone doesn't know how to use the SIM to connect to the Carriers Network. 

If this is by design, then this is a big design blunder on Sprint's part..... This phone is not world friendly if the ONLY way to get data is to pay an exorbinant amount to Sprint. 

Sprint.... Please help address this issue, or confirm whether or not it's done by design.  Because if it is, I need to return this phone for something else. 

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

I don't totally understand your issue here - but under Settings/Wireless & networks/Mobile networks/Access point names clicking Menu/New APN gives an input screen for APN data. After input, clicking Menu/Save and the new APN shows up. It looks like you can select the APN that you wish to use by selecting the radio button next to it.

I have just set it up for O2 in the UK and will see if it works when I go out there next week...

Journeyman

What mnc/mcc settings are entered for the O2 APN?

310 and 120?  That's sprints mnc and Mcc.  If you try to zero it out or set it to O2 settings, the phone wont save the APN

Journeyman

I just put in an old Vigin UK SIM card for kicks. When the phone is in  GSM only mode, I have a 'T-Mobile UK' APN - general.t-mobile.uk (I guess  this came from the SIM card since I did not set anything). It has an  MCC of 234 and an MNC of 30 which is T-Mobile UK (formally One2One). I  can set up any other APNs but only with the 234/30 to match the SIM  card.

Journeyman

Yeah, this has been confirmed in a few places now, and ITS COMPLETE BS.  SPRINT!!!! WTF are you doing?!!!!  REALLY?  Your going to force us to use your INSANE data pricing while overseas?

Un-acceptable.   In an era where people have become accustomed to using local sim cards in world phones, this is a really low blow and a sneaky move.  Shame shame shame.   I am going to scream this from the internet mountaintops and make sure as many people find out about this shady crap.

Journeyman

I am not a Sprint Fanboy and I am new to this international roaming, and I agree the rates seem kind of ridiculously high, but you are criticizing Sprint for not letting you use someone else's service on a Sprint phone?   A phone I assume Sprint subsidized.  Don't "unlocked" phones typically cost $500- $700 dollars or more?

The more valid argument here is if Sprint wants to be the carrier of choice for international travelers they need to provide reasonably priced rates and/or plans.

Journeyman

Yeah I am critizing them for not letting me use another carriers service on their phone, as this is kinda the point of roaming internationally.   FYI, you are using VERIZON towers all the time when you are on Sprint (and vice versa).   but they offer "free roaming" nationwide so its all transparent to the end user.   Imagine if all of a sudden you had to pay roaming charges on those towers....

Yeah, if sprint wanted tp provide their own plan that was comparable, it would be great.  Thing is, they used to have this and discontinued it.   And I highly doubt we are going to see them reduce roaming data rates from 17.00/mb to 2.00/mb (which is what it is in Hong Kong, and I think that rate was in HKD - so thats like .25 USD!!)

What I think is ridiculous is that I had a 9630 blackberry that I could do this with.  Which means, that Sprint has made a concious decision to handicap one of its flagship "world phones" to not use data via a SIM card from an overseas carrier, thus forcing us to buy their high priced data roaming.  Oh ya and what if I wanted to have a local # while traveling, this is only possible by using a local sim card, but then....ummmm no data? 

The issue really comes down to a locked APN setting - some carriers require a special APN setting if you are going to use their network, and the photon does not allow for this setting to be changed.   

I really hope that Sprint decides to unlock the APN settings so that international travel can be made affordable and easy.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat