cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International travel

Highlighted
Journeyman

International travel

Does anyone have experience with international travel with this phone? For that matter any advices for any phones in general? Buy a SIM card, pre pay phone or get the international travel plan? thanks for your advise.

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello,

I don't have any experience with that type of phone...I use a Blackberry 9630. I travel alot through Europe, Africa, different parts of Asia. I have tried to use SIM cards that I have purchased overseas - I was told the phone was unlocked. But, after a few phone calls, it locked up my phone. It's happened with a couple of different SIM cards in Europe and in Africa. So I bought a cheap phone (from another retailer) that I could swap out the SIM card and have had no issues at all.

The international travel plan on Sprint works fine, just know what you are going to be paying for rates. There are some countries that will not allow you to call other countries - for example. I just returned from a trip to Latvia, Lithuania, and Finland last week. While I was in the Helsinki airport, I needed to call my friend in Latvia who was picking me up. The call would not go through. I called Sprint customer service and for whatever reason the Finnish carrier blocks calls to Latvia. I've had that happen while trying to make a call to London last year as well. So you may want to check and see if there are any blocks while you're in a particular country.

Hope this helps and safe travels!

Highlighted
Journeyman

cwangs1 wrote:

Does anyone have experience with international travel with this phone? For that matter any advices for any phones in general? Buy a SIM card, pre pay phone or get the international travel plan? thanks for your advise.

Just got back from Greece/Turkey with the phone. Had called Sprint to authorize international. Was advised to pop out the battery when I landed, did so and it synced up with GSM carrier. Got messages as I changed carriers about rates (all high.) Made/received some US calls/text messages, didn't try and "local" calls. All seemed to work fine. When I got back in the US, had to again pop the battery to get it to pick Sprint back up.

Obviously, turn off data, unless you want a very big bill...

eric

Highlighted
Wizard

Thank for the info Eric.

Planning to bring mine to UK/Africa soon, but will use local provider.

Data will be Wi-Fi only to avoid big bill (even locally)

Highlighted
Journeyman

You can do voice but not data. Well documented on the data thing. Working as Designed, totally locked out.

Highlighted
Master

Motorola Photon is a GSM Phone  supports  voice and data.Photon is a  Quad Band GSM / EDGE, 850/1900/2100 WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA GSM Voice Services: GSM 850/900/1800/1900, UMTS 2100. You need to buy a sim card and put that in Motorola Photon and use it for making and receiving calls. For more information on International Dialing you have to contact

Sprint World Wide (SWW) handles International Long Distance Calling – activations and troubleshooting the ability to place calls to international countries while in the U.S or International Roaming which is for use while roaming in an international location.

For International Long Distance Calling - Dial 888.226.7212, option 1.

For International Roaming – Dial 888.226.7212, option 2.

For Technical Support – Dial 888-226-7212, option 3.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Strike that data part:

Most foreign providers requires that a new Access Point Name (APN) be set up for the  SIM. The problem is that the Photon won't let you create and save a  new APN. If you set the MCC and MNC in the  APN to Sprint's values (310 and 120), then save the newly created  APN, the data connection won't work. If you set them to the  appropriate values for  say Vodafone (505 and 03) then press save, the newly  created APN disappears.

Sprint says that this was by design. So  if true, it appears that the SIM is unlocked for voice but locked for  data (at least, if the carrier requires specific APN settings, as  Vodafone does).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have always used Sprint, never had a world phone never had a smart phone before either.  The Photon seems like the first Sprint phone that had it all.   Anyway, All this about GSM, SIM Cards, Locked/Unlocked, Voice vs Data is somewhat foriegn.   I will be going to Brazil in a couple of weeks for several weeks.  I know the Photon comes with a SIM card.  Can someone briefly explain what the issue/concern/controversy is?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Where in Brazil are you going?  All of my Sprint phones for the last 6 years have always worked in Rio de Janerio. I always call a few days before to make sure the latest tower locations are pushed down. The issue is the while you can get a local SIM card and make calls all you want the data part, that is the part for e-mails and the like, may not work. It is hit or miss. I THINK that Sprint is a part owner of a cell company in Brazil you may have luck with the data and the text feature has worked for me from time to time based on the phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sao Paulo (the state not necessarily the city).   I was there in March with a standard Sprint phone and it did not work, nobody's Sprint phone in my group worked.   I did a little research before leaving and the information on Sprint's website for Brazil made it sound like GSM was the only option and that the service in Brazil had changed at some point.  When were you there last?

One of us had a an EVO 4g and could use WiFi in quite a few spots for web and email. That was when I decided I needed a smart phone, and then the Photon came out with international calling, so my wife should be able to reach me in an emergency.  That is my main concern, as it was there was no way for her to contact me until I connected with my laptop from the hotel at night or called from the hotel at their outrageous rates.  I am not a phone junkie that cannot stand to not be connected. 

Highlighted
Wizard

CHMN,

If all you want is the voice than the issue with the data on the photon shouldn't be an issue (it has WiFi so you can still use that). Otherwise, our other world phones are also unlocked on the GSM side. Phones like the Blackberry 9930, the Blackberry Torch, and the Motorola XPRT would all work for what you need.

-Alec

Highlighted

Hello there, I am curious about how much they charge to answer your phone and make phone calls back US from Turkey? Of course not using the data. Thanks

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat