cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Photon 4G Not Receiving Texts

Journeyman

Issue with Photon 4G Not Receiving Texts

I have had this issue almost since the day I bought the phone in August 2011. I can send texts and I can always recieve texts from Sprint customers as far as I can tell. However, randomly (sometimes multiple times a day or a few days a week) I stop receiving text messages from everyone else. I have to pull the battery out of my phone and put it back in, then I am bombarded by all the messages I have missed thoughout the day. I have brought it into the Sprint store, and they even gave me a new photon. Without installing anything, leaving the phone as I received it, with the exception of the store making sure it was up to date on all software, PRL, etc, I had the same issue the following day. They kept telling me I had an issue until a sprint employee texted me from their verizon phone and proved I did not receive messages. Pulled the battery out and put it back in, and 9 messages came in from throughout the day. Anyone with similar issues? From What I have found, its a hardware issue with the phone, but sprint and motorola both deny that.

- All software is up to date

- Google voice was not activated

- Every time my ticket gets escalated, I get a call saying they see its been resolved, and I reassure them it has not.

- It is apparently at the networking team now.

- This happens across the US. Seattle, WI, Oregon

- I have a good Cell connection

- I can access data just fine.

- Sometimes a call will cause my texts to come in, but usually need to power cycle my phone

26 REPLIES 26

Re: Issue with Photon 4G Not Receiving Texts

critmonster06, I am going to send you a private message

Journeyman

As expected, I got a call yesterday afternoon. The guys tells me "Networking sees theres two way traffic, looks like the issue is resolved." No! so frustrating because no one actually reads what the problem is. The guy on the phone then read the ticket and even he understood there was still an issue. He has to again re-escalate it to the networking team. I think this is the third time now. All I want is a phone that works all the time, that I dont have to pull the battery out of, and that can manage to get my my texts. Verizon isn't looking half bad.. Its not worth all this hassle.

Journeyman

Just got another call from Sprint. NO HELP WHAT-SO-EVER!!! Same response that it was de-escalated from networking. They never bothered to read what the issue was, just looked for two way traffic and tried saying it was fixed. This has been going on for months. Its not fixed. now I have to call them when I think its happening. So Hopefully I can figure out when Im not receiving messages. Never had a problem on my DroidX with Verizon. Going to head there at lunch. Wasting too much time and too many missed messages on Sprint.

Journeyman

Agreed!  I have had this problem for at least a year and on top of it, my boss informed me that he got the messages that I sent to his non-sprint phone more than 30 hours after I had sent them to him.  I would not consider Sprint's SMS service to be reliable in any way/shape/form.

Journeyman

So this is how it has played out:

I refused to take "we will work on it" as an answer. They talked about giving me a new phone, then changed the story that I had to go to the Service store. I get to the service store and they tell me theres nothing they can do for me, that customer service has to do it.

I was not happy. I called tech support again. spent another hour on the phone. this guys was nice, despite my unhappyness. At the end, he got his supervisor and ordered me a Samsung Epic. Should be here 3-5 days. Finally! They didnt know why someone didnt do that for me sooner, and they took the service stores information and said they would contact them for giving me the wrong info.

To pour salt on an open wound, I get an email from the Sprint person I was working with online, and she said she was happy to see the service store ordered me a galaxy S II. I emailed her back and have not heard back yet. Told her it's sad how poor the communication is. The service store said they would do nothing for me, and the guy I  worked with online said I had an Epic coming.. At this point I dont care what phone I get. As long as its not a photon and it works. Sad how terrible the intra-company communcation is!

3 service Tickets, 2 Photons, 4 trips to the service center, 10 emails, and hours spent on the phone. I hope this new phone works!

Journeyman

I'm having the same issue with photon 4g and I'm a new customer it's my first month and I cant receive text messages coming in from verizon, they just dont get here. I've called three times and doing a factory reset on phone now to see if that's the issue but It's very fustrating.

How's the galaxy? Maybe I need to change the photon...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm having this same issue as well on my Photon.  I just now received 9 txt's that were sent within the last three days from the same person.  Extremely frustrating.

I also know two weeks ago a bunch of txts that I sent randomly were received 3 days after I sent them. 

All these issues were with people not on Sprint(they were on Verizon or AT&T).

However, I don't think it is the phone.  I think it is the network.

My sprint # is also a google voice #.  I don't get the txt on the google voice application either so that rules out the phone and leaves the network.

Journeyman

Same issue here. Started on 3/19 for me on my Photon. However my Google voice number is different than my cell number. I am able to receive SMS from Verizon and TMobile through Google voice which I cannot receive on my Sprint number. No late texts for me, I just don't receive them. Been sent to the store and dealt with phone support 3 times to get a network ticket opened. I agree this looks like it's on the network level.

Journeyman

I did a factory reset to see if it was the phone having issues. I'm still not able to receive text messages

I guess I will have to walk into sprint store and have them figure out my problem. It's probably a routing issue as stated elsewhere in the forums.

Journeyman

It has to be a network issue. I activated my galaxy phone on Friday and was already not receiving texts by Sat. I still have half a message floating out there somewhere that never came to my phone. So frustrating, but that shows it is an issue with the network! I gave my verizon friends my google voice number and have no problems with receiving their texts through the voice application. I even tried downloading GoSMS like sprint reccomended, but that was useless. I found a forum where sprint had acknowledged issues between their networks and Verizons. Pretty much just going to tough it out until my contract is over, and switch to a company that can get me my text messages on time.

Journeyman

Rbrtoe - They will say its a paging issue, escalate it to networking, reset the tower, and tell you your problem is fixed. It wont work. They will tell you its an app you downloaded, I had issues with the factory defaults, so that wont work either. They will want to reset the phone, doesnt work. They will plug it into they diagnostic machine, and tell you theres nothing wrong. Good luck! If I find anything that helps, I will be sure to post it. Use the google voice app, but do not integrate it with your sprint phone. As soon as you integrate, sprint manages to mess that up to, as CRUTTER1 stated.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat