cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Photon 4G Not Receiving Texts

Journeyman

Re: Issue with Photon 4G Not Receiving Texts

I agree with critmonster06.  From what I can tell, it has nothing to do with the cell phone and everything to do with the provider.  I have also tried talking with Sprint on this issue and I have gotten nowhere.  I even brought my phone into the store where a guy sent me a text message and then handed it back to me and said "it works".  After getting *nowhere* with talking to Sprint support and getting *less* than nowhere talking with the service people in the stores, I have pretty much given up.  I know that every time an SMS gets lost, I should spend an hour of my time on the phone getting Sprint to do something about it, but at this point, I don't have the fight in me to do it.  Since SMS is the primary mode of communication for me, this is a huge problem (it gets even worse when you need to send or recieve international SMS!).

I am seriously considering breaking the contract for my family plan and taking my business to another carrier that *can* get the job done for me.  Really, is SMS so difficult?

Journeyman

Okay so I also went to the sprint store in two different locations and they did some basic troubleshooting and diagnostic but never fixed the problem. I dont think I should have to get a new phone to fix the issue, and I dont think this is happening because you get applications off the market. It's my first month and I'm already having regrets about my service, but one of the things that led me to sprint was the unlimited date and the photon 4g that can dock to the TV and bluetooth a Wiimote and play games anyway the technical support hasnt been much helped so I messaged a tech privately and hope he can help. I've pretty much given up also on trying to get a fix but why should the customer settle for less? Why should the consumer pay for a service that's not fully functional? At this point, I am fustrated and dissapointed....

By the way, ANSWERED? Really?

Some one please help! This is hardly getting any attention.

Journeyman

I gave up too. If you get anywhere, please let me know. Too frustrated to deal with them anymore. I have lost too much time and money. I will pry just break my contract and move on to a better provider. Never had the problem with verizon. I marked the one guys answer as correct because he was saying it was useless to try any more. I unmarked it, maybe someone will figure something out. Over 1200 People have checked out this post. Goes to show a lot of people are  searching for an answer to a similar problem.

Journeyman

Yep. Hang in there! There's alot of people having this issue.

Hey that galaxy nexus might be a good upgrade!

Journeyman

The nexus is ok, I almost prefer the photon. Neither works. Still learning the Nexus, I will pry warm up to it. Just have to get all my settings figured out.

Journeyman

I've got a tech working with me. 

I was feeling pretty good about it until he said he looked at my account and said everything seemed to be working just fine.

I then pointed out to him that I sent a txt to myself saturday evening and received it on Monday around noon.

i guess I will see what he has to say about that tomorrow.

Journeyman

Well it looks like this has been resolved for me. I finally spoke to tech support on Thursday. I was able to receive texts from 2 of my Verizon contacts last night. I haven't had a chance to try the one contact on TMobile yet. While on the phone with tech support, I texted 2 of my Verizon contactsand 1 Tmobile which they could see going through. Called one to verify receipt and a reply, The tech was not able to see the reply. I've not heard back from them yet to confirm anything was done.

Just as an FYI I ported my number from Boost in February. Hopefully this is fixed for me and for others with this problem.

Journeyman

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth - have a similar issue - my phone will just "decide" to not get any more data traffic at times during the day - can send a txt, it never gets back to me.  can't get on the internet.  Don't make many calls, so I don't know if that's an issue or not.  This can be sitting in the same spot where I had 4 bars of 3g signal 5 minutes before.  then the 3g and the signal strength go from blue to grey and nothing comes through.  The only thing that reliably fixes it is rebooting the phone.

Any advice?

Journeyman

I have had this same problem.  What I noticed is that I had my phone WiFi enabled, and thus it could connect to WiFi when it could see my home wireless network and my 3G or 4G connection failed as I walked around my house.  So, my messages would always send, since it could send via the WiFi or the wirless connection to the tower.  I had no problems sending.  However, I experienced getting messages over and over again sometimes.  And, sometimes I would get a blast of latent messages, that were a day or so old, especially if I had disconnected from the network via the signal to the tower and reconnect, such as to charge my phone, or having the phone where it had no signal, within my home. 

Therefore, I started to surmise, that perhaps this is an issue with the connection switching of my Photon between WiFi (which would ultimately use my internet connection to talk to Sprint's SMS servers) and a 3G or 4G connection (which may connect to Sprint servers differently).  And, perhaps, receiving messages on my phone may be tracked differently between the two different retun paths too my phone, due to the logic of Sprint's SMS setup, or internal to my phone itself in the way it acknoledges between these two paths.  Perhaps, turning the phone off and back on, while in a spot where the phone will talk to a tower, triggers an audit, and thus causes a re-sync of messages causing the un-received messages to stream in all at once.  While, somehow, this does not occur with the WiFi connection.

So, I went into the settings and turned of WiFi, so my phone simply won't use it.  Since doing this, I have had no further problems with messaging (it's been 3 days now).  The setting persists turning the phone off and back on.  There is likely a problem within the SMS logic in Sprint's network, where these two means of connection doesn't work correctly, probably when the phone uses an internet connection of the user.  It may also persist the connection (within the SMS logic or the phone or who knows) once established, even when 3G or 4G connection comes back ... I don't know.  Perhaps it's a problem with the phone not interacting correctly, via the WiFi method.  Who knows.

But ... for anyone struggling with this issue ... you might try turning off WiFi in your phone and ensure that the phone can get a good tower 3G or 4G signal.  Turn it off, turn it back on, and see if you have further problems.

It worked for me.

Journeyman

I tried doing what you suggested - and thanks for your suggestion btw because it was a lot more helpful than what I've been getting from Sprint Tech regarding this issue on my Motorola Photon 4G - but it didn't work for me.  Basically, I have the same issue with texts and calls going straight to voice mail.  I was told by tech that since his call to me and text to me went through - well the other dozens of times I've had this issue doesn't matter.

It does matter to me and people who are trying to reach me. All he seemed concerned about was getting me off the phone with him.

Journeyman

I'll add that I too am having similar issues - recieving delayed texts multiple times, and not being able to make phone calls or send texts for upwards of 2-3 hours after re-setting the photon.  ...sucks for clients when they are expecting a call back.... I've lost more than a few this month. 

I've replaced the phone 3 times, no joy.  lastly, apps will no longer update - they download, start to install - then stalls, never completing the install.

as a co-worker said  the only good thing about Sprint, is that they are cheap.  ...the network sucks, but they ARE cheaper.

I'm switching to Verizon as soon as my contract is up.

I'd need to have a working phone rather than a cheap one...

Journeyman

Ah Sprint how I love thee.  Haven't received any texts in over an hour, but I know that I should be recieving texts.  I can send though.  I'm not at all satisfied with my service. 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat