cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just fix the Network!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just fix the Network!!!

I live in Gainesville, FL 32607. (Cross streets seem to be of importance so Newberry Rd. and SW 62nd Street) I have a 2 Photon 4G's and an iPhone 5. The Photons will ring and not allow you to answer (screen freezes), the Photons will get text messages repeated as many as 13 times over a span of hours, and all three phones "click" every few minutes while making calls (when they have signal.) I took all of the phones to the Sprint store on Archer Rd and their best analysis is that someone has wiretapped me and that if I want to buy new phones they are here for me. ARE YOU SERIOUS?! Your network has issues and your best response is that someone is tapping my phone? Get real!  Then they told me that it was an iPhone issue. Then offered to look at the phone if I would leave all of our phones overnight. (I worked for Apple as an IOS advisor for nearly a year. The iPhone is fine, it has been restored and has the same issues even before I put apps and info back on it.) I assured them that having 3 phones by 2 different manufacturers have the same issues begin occurring at the same time has the same probability as me winning the lotto.

Other than ranting about the serious lack of competence at the Archer Sprint Store, I'm wondering if there is any route to fixing this issue? (I asked the Reps if they had ever heard of removing and resetting the phones to the account. AT&T does this in extreme cases. The reps had no comprehension of what I was speaking of, so maybe Sprint's network works differently.)

Of my 4 lines that I spend $230+/Month on 1 is off contract and 2 more will be shortly. It may be time to migrate to Virgin, T-Mobile, or dare I say, back to AT&T ...

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Just fix the Network!!!

BRADCHUCK2

Thank you for reaching out to us. I'm sorry to hear of the issues you're having, I can understand the frustrations they are causing you. I would be more than happy to look into these issues for you.

Just a few questions so I can better understand your issue. Do you have the Photon Q or the first Photon? When you state they're are both freezing, are you doing something in particular when that happens? Are both devicing mirroring each other when it freezes, do they freeze while trying to do the same thing? When it freezes what must you do to get it out of that state?

Is there any issues with your iPhone 5 other than the clicking during a call? You're stating they are all doing that after a few minutes. Is it just once? Or does it continue through the call? Is it happening at only one location?

I appreciate your patience while we look into this for you. Thank you.

Jessica   Social Media Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have 2 Photon 4G's (the first ones)

When they freeze it is random. Sometimes I cannot answer a call because the screen will only allow a partial swipe to answer, My daughter's phone has restarted while texting an while on twitter (acts like a full reboot). Usually holding the sleep/awake button will allow them to restart but a few times I have had to pull the battery.

The 2 Photons react completely independent of each other. Sometimes my Photon will have a lot of issues and then other days my daughter's Photon  will have a lot of issues.

The iPhone only has the reception issue. This issue is that phone calls have a "static-like" clicking noise on all calls.

I did see in the local paper that 4G LTE has been rolled out to approximately 1/2 of the city I live in. (Sprint map shows the whole area covered) I know that the Photon 4G is NOT LTE and is WiMax but maybe the tower work is causing the issues (if so I wish the local store would just be honest and say "we are doing upgrades in the area and there may be a dip in call quality during the switch over" instead of "Maybe someone is hacking all of your devices")

Highlighted
Journeyman

BRADCHUCK2

Thank you for the information.

I would like to verify the software version on your Photons, you can find that information through Menu>Settings>About Phone and under "Build Number". Please verify both devices software and list them both for me. Freezing on a Phonton may occur when the phone or SD card memory is full. Please clear internet memory and Cache on the devices, you can check your storage space under Settings. If almost full, try to clean up your apps to add more space to prevent memory overload and freezing. The truth is these devices are pretty outdated, manufacturers after a certain time do not offer updates to the software for the devices, leaving customers with the only option to upgrade. Have you considered that option for the 2 Photon lines? If you are eligible for an upgrade, you have the option to get a new device, try them for 14 days and if you're not completely satisfied you can return them and have all changes and agreement reversed and back to the way they were. Please consider this option it may be the best thing for you. We don't want you to be dissatisfied with your services.

As for the clicking of all 3 lines. It may be the upgrades going on in the area, but to double check, is clicking only happening from home? When you're in a different location does it happen as well? How about the other phones? Is it only at home or everywhere?

Thanks for your response.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Both Phones are build number : 4.5.1A-1_SUN-254_13

Android Version: 2.3.5

Kernal Version: 2.6.32.9

PRL Version: 51097

Internal Storage:

My Phone : 8.48GB Available

Daughter's Phone: 8.22GB Available

SD Card

My Phone: 284MB of 1.9GB Available

Daughter's Phone: 831MB of 0.92GB Available

In reference to the age of the phones, they came out in August of 2011 and we purchased them Spring of 2012. This means that they came to market less than 2 years ago. (about 2 months before the iPhone 4s) I am more than aware of Motorola advertising the upgrade from gingerbread to ICS (on Sprint ads) and the backlash when they, months later, chose not to.

The clicking happens everywhere, not just home, on all 3 phones

"The truth is these devices are pretty outdated"

Photon 4G                                                                                                             

Dual-core NVIDIA Tegra 2 processor and 1GB of RAM

4.3-inch touchscreen

Dual cameras – 8 megapixel, dual-LED flash camera with front-facing webcam to store photos and videos directly on the device and VGA front-facing camera for video chat

16GB of onboard memory, support for up to 32GB SD Card, for a total of up to 48GB

Worldphone capabilities to access emails, calendars and news from locations around the globe

3G/4G Mobile Hotspot capability, supporting up to eight devices on the Sprint 3G or 4G networks and one while roaming internationally on GSM (Mobile Hotspot capability while roaming internationally on GSM will be delivered through an upcoming software update)

Ability to utilize the webtop application while connected to a Motorola accessory dock (sold separately) to open, view, edit and send Microsoft Office documents using cloud-based web apps through the full Mozilla Firefox browser

Supports critical IT device policies commonly requested by enterprises and government entities, including integration ease, cost-of-management and data security concerns

The EVO 4G is similar spec-wise and is a year older yet Sprint still sells them?

Highlighted
Journeyman

BRADCHUCK2

Thank you for the information.

Does look like the software on the Phontons are the latest released. When you went to the service center were they able to duplicate the freezing?

I can understand your thoughts on the release of the devices, I only mentioned it as an option for you. If you feel the specs of these devices are up to par and you do not want to upgrade that is fine. With any device issue, a service center visit is recommended. I know you've been in there already, but network upgrades are not the issue for your Photon freezing. If you do not feel comfortable going to the center you went to we can find you another.

As with the clicking. I was able to find information on the clicking from an Apple forum. Other Apple owners are experiencing the same issue. I can only find issues with clicking noise for iPhones, I did not find any for any other manufacturer. When you brought the Photons to the service center were the technicians able to identify the clicking noise during a call? I know it's a very frusrtrating situation, but it's an unusual event.

I appreciate your patience.

Journeyman

Jessica,

At the service center they told us to leave all of the phones overnight (possibly 2 nights) and they would look at them. I asked what if they were unable to fix them, would I just get 3 phones wiped clean with no progress? They confirmed this.

I am willing to back up all of the phones and take them in, however, 2 different phones having similar issues that began around the same time (even though 1 was not used for 6+ months) seems VERY unlikely to be coincidental hardware issues.

At the service center they did not listen to the phones for the clicking, just made the suggestion that someone had bugged the phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

BRADCHUCK2

I can understand your reservations. We are sorry you are experiencing these issues.

I can agree that it is unusual that 2 phones are having the same issues at pretty much the same time, but network issues do not cause phones to freeze. If the multiple texts are ocurring a ticket may need to be open to resolve that issue.

Please take them into a service center if you have not done so since your last post. Thank you for your cooperation, we  understand device issues are difficult to deal with.

Jessica  Social Media Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Motorola Photon 4g was the phone I chose to replace the garbage Samsung S2 Epic 4g Touch I had problems with that were never fixed. When I first started using the Photon I noticed right away that the Photon would pick up Sprint's network much better, and stay connected to both the 3g and 4g network consistently. Unfortunately for me I also noticed immediately that my Photon would shut down all by itself when I would open a music app and begin to listen to my music. After awhile the music app would trigger something in the phone that would cause it to freeze during it's rebooting process after it was shut down. I dealt with the shutdown/freezing part of the phone mainly because I was thrilled that the phone was able to do what I wanted to do, whereas with the S2 I couldn't stay consistently connected to the network. The problems of the shutdown/ freezing got so bad that I finally took it to the repair center for diagnosis. Prior to me taking my Photon in for diagnosis, I noticed that the phone would not stay connected to the network consistently. Well the upgrades to the towers for the 4G LTE network were being done and completed out here in the L.A. area where I used the phone. Once I found out the upgrades to the towers were complete and I continued to have problems with connectivity I added that to the list of problems I was having with the phone when I took it in for diagnosis. Well, I was given a refurbished Photon when I visited the Sprint store and as soon as I walk out with it I start having problems staying connected to the network just 20 feet outside the front door of the place. Once I got home I immediately called Sprint customer service and gave them the details. Almost immediately the rep came to the conclusion that the phone was the problem and not the network. I really thought I would make it to the end of my contract in late October with the Photon but after more of the shutdown/freezing and poor network connectivity I finally got fed up and dumped Sprint for Verizon. It's been almost two weeks since I have been on the Verizon network on this iPhone 5 and I can honestly say there is a HUGE difference.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat