Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorola Photon 4G Chip set

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is the Motorola Photon 4G using the Beceem BCS500 chip or the BCS350?

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Wizard

So far I cannot find a good teardown the phone.

But if you want to know about the LTE chip or not, be my guest and follow the link

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1233294

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am not sure about the chip set, but Motorola just assured me that they designed the photon 4G to use LTE and WIIMAXX, they also designed the chipset to use a broader spectrum of 3G for faster speeds. Still no word on if they will update to ice cream sandwich, but they are considering it because of the release date of the phone. Back to the LTE, Motorola is saying that once Sprint rolls out LTE the phone will pick it up automaticlly, also if you are roaming on a 4G LTE network i.e. Verizon you should pick that up also, but that falls back onto the agreement between Sprint and Verizon and whether or not Verizon will allow roaming Sprint devices to use its LTE. I know that i have unlimited roaming (as should most people) and Sprint will not charge you as long as you stream more data on Sprints network than you do roaming. All of this information I have gatherd is from either Motorola or Sprint. I have also kept electronic copys of the emails and chats as proof should I need them in the future.

Highlighted
Master

You have been misinformed, The Photon will not work on Sprint's LTE 4G once it rolls out, None of Sprint's current phones will. Also you do not have unlimited roaming, None of Sprints current plans include unlimited roaming, Your capped at 800 or a majority of mins and 300mb data, Excessive roaming can get you terminated.

Highlighted
Journeyman

than that is something that sprint is controlling, but from what i understand from a friend long time friend who lives and works in Kansas, some of sprints high end smart phones that were released after last summer were supposed to be LTE capable, because sprint didnt want the fall out from current owners of newer 4G phones knowing that their new phones would not work on sprints new LTE network, now my understanding is that LTE phones will not work with WIMAX but some of the newer WIMAX 4G phones will work with LTE

Highlighted
Journeyman

and your right about the current plans not having unlimited data roaming, but my onlilne accoune and my paper bill all state that i do indeed have unlimited data roaming. not that i ever use but it is there.

Highlighted
Master

None of the Wimax 4G phones will work with LTE, And Again no one has unlimited roaming, Read the T&C.

https://shop2.sprint.com/en/legal/os_general_terms_conditions_popup.shtml

Off-network Roaming: The primary use of your Device must be for domestic purposes within the Sprint-owned network. Domestic means use in the 50 United States and U.S. Territories (except Guam). Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds: (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes. The display on your device may not always be on and will not indicate whether you will incur roaming charges. You can monitor usage online through My Account. Roaming is not available with single-band phones, or to customers who reside or whose primary use is outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network. Sprint may limit or terminate service if you move outside of the Sprint owned-network.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

it works vise versa. there has to be another antenna inside just for the LTE. and if this were the case it would be considered a LTE phone first. sprint doesnt have any LTE capable phones out yet until some time this year.

3G has an antenna

4G has an antenna

wifi

bluetooth

etc....each has its own antenna..which is why youre able to turn them off and on

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Motorola Photon 4G Chip set

You are forgetting the haps+ radio the photon has and that is the foundation of lte sooooo technically if they layered their network it would be on their lye network, or maybe it is lte chipset that needs to be fully activated look at the build prop lte is all over that thing.

Journeyman

Hspa+ sorry Swype auto corrected me

Highlighted
Journeyman

ok so for shits and giggles, and border line begging and pleading, i convinced a good friend who works in a VZW store to let me expirement with an active 4G LTE sim card (on the condition that i not take any screen shots or steal it). . but any ways after about 10 minutes of the phone reconfiguring its self and rebooting ( 2 times) I was using my Photon4G and sufrfing on VZW's LTE network. take it for what its worth but it looks promising. Oh and by the way the photon is wicked fast with that kind of data speed, but it drains that battery i lost 35% in about 45 min.

Highlighted
Wizard

electcolts wrote:

ok so for ***** and giggles, and border line begging and pleading, i convinced a good friend who works in a VZW store to let me expirement with an active 4G LTE sim card (on the condition that i not take any screen shots or steal it). . but any ways after about 10 minutes of the phone reconfiguring its self and rebooting ( 2 times) I was using my Photon4G and surfing on VZW's LTE network. take it for what its worth but it looks promising. Oh and by the way the photon is wicked fast with that kind of data speed, but it drains that battery i lost 35% in about 45 min.

Can you elaborate more?

My understanding by reading this is you use the VZW LTE sim in the Photon and it works?

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat