ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorola Photon is Crap

Journeyman

Motorola Photon is Crap

Just got my Motorola Photon last week. What a piece of junk. I had to remove the battery 10 times this last weekend because it stopped working. This was before and after the recommended update. Anybody else having these issues. The phone is going back and I've had it with Sprint.

11 REPLIES 11
Wizard

Motorola Photon is Crap

I got mine since day one, no issue here. I did not apply the update yet

Journeyman

Motorola Photon is Crap

I've had good luck with mine in Lancaster County, both before and after the update. Only a few minor complaints which will make me return it:

It doesn't seem to be able to play any of my videos that all other phones can play out of the box: FLV's MKV's etc I had to update it with Adobe Flash 10.3 and an aftermarket player, and now, though it plays, audio and video are out of sync. But all videos play fine on my old Samsung Vibrant running Froyo.

Who in the H 3 (double hockey sticks hereLL) decided to put a power jack on the bottom of the phone, so that when you want to use the stand to watch a video, say in your hotel room before dinner, or anywhere actually, that you cannot charge it while using it. This wasn't just a design oversight, this was intentional to get people to buy the HD dock. Sorry MoPho maker, but I certainly don't need yet another piece of junk to carry around just to use my phone the way all other phones are used today. The kickstand was a great idea, but marred by the idiot in marketing who suggested putting the power jack there, the idiot who approved the design, and the idiot in charge of production and testing who thought that users wouldn't figure this out. Shame on you Moto... I only bought this phone because it was 'maybe' semi american made, but even then you tried to screw us... So back it goes as soon as the Samsung GII is available. In fact, I might return it sooner since I've had almost a week. Shame too because I personally liked the shape and feel, even though the screen isn't amoled, I would have tolerated it because Moto is an American company, or at least used to be...  Shame Shame Shame...

Wizard

Motorola Photon is Crap

@NTanaka

Can you elaborate on the issues you are having with the phone?

Sprint Product Ambassador

Motorola Photon is Crap

I had mine wedge twice while streaming songs from Amazon Cloud Player; quick battery pull and it was back.

No other problems at all - fast, responsive, easy to use and great battery life.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Motorola Photon is Crap

Yosteveyo,  I read if you just rotate the phone 180º then the power is on top.  The kickstand isn't as stable but it still works.  I haven't tried it yet.  

Highlighted
Journeyman

Motorola Photon is Crap

I've had a really positive experience with my Photon too. I think your problem must boil down either to an app that's not playing well with your phone, or it's possible you just happened to get a defective phone or battery.

The Community can help you more if you let us know what apps you have on your Photon, what your previous device was, and did you have pretty much the same set of apps on the previous phone?

Here's an example: Words With Friends absolutely destroyed my battery life on my Epic, but not so on my Photon, because I can set it to stop the app after I've been away from it over two minutes.

Journeyman

Motorola Photon is Crap

Yeah tried that, but videos play upside down then.  It really is a bummer  plus the instability is crazy now. I downloaded Rock Player and QQ  player and both either cause the phone to reboot or play way out of  sync. My Samsung Vibrant with stock Froyo appears to play them with no  issues, so I'm fairly certain that this is a software glitch that will  be fixed in an update. But the video thing is hard to get by with the  power jack location while using the kickstand...   : (    And the sad  part is, other than those two issues, I could live with the phone. The  GPS is acceptable, the screen is acceptable (though not nearly what a  Galaxy (or Galaxy 2) is (going to be) capable of when released. That and  the utter lack of NFS, which is going to take off soon in the US (next 1  or 2 years) makes me think that MOTO was just itching to get a phone  released. Also the Gallery of the Samsung was the best ever (for me) who  doesn't need social networking. You can't really configure the Gallery  in a nice orderly manner like the Galaxy, separating the videos, from  downloads and camera pics... That was nice...  And all of the sprint  bloadtware that I'll never use, the TV and movies? I know it's a selling  point, and most people probably really enjoy it, I just don't have a  need for it...

Journeyman

Motorola Photon is Crap

I returned mine as well. I have no issues with Sprint, I have been with them since they beginning and the Photon was the first phone with issues. Had an EVO for a year and really liked it but it did not have enough internal storage, before that an Instinct which I am using now. That phone was/is solid. Took it on many trips out of the country and it always came through. Before that a Samsung A900 which worked great.

Journeyman

Motorola Photon is Crap

Agreed. I'm amazed at the places I've gone to in the past week since I got the phone, and where I had no TMO signal, and little or no verizon, and no ATT, there is WIMAX at 4 or 5 bars, and blazing away. In stores, home, work, and so far I've not found a dead spot. That tells me I'll be happy to stay with Sprint once I get into a phone that suits my needs. Again, if only the phone had NFC (capable) I'd consider keeping it and waiting for the software updates, and just forget about the charging issue while watching videos.. Obviously no phone is perfect and no one phone will meet every persons needs...sigh.. at least not yet.   ---------

Any word on when the Samsung Within is going to be released? I think I only have 30 days or maybe less to return this for something else. I really can't see me carrying an EVO 3D, though that's what they are focing people at work to choose instead of a blackberry..lol I saw the screen, and don't really care for it..

Journeyman

Motorola Photon is Crap

Since installing updates my battery life is the pits. I recharge, put the phone down and have no power. What a shame. I've only had it for a couple of weeks and may have to take it back, something I've never done after years of faithful Sprint service.

Sprint Product Ambassador

Motorola Photon is Crap

I can't speak to players and codecs. You may have to experiment with other 3rd party players and codecs...or NOT use 3rd party players/codecs. Did you fully explore all the Moto players?

As far as lack of NFS - You are right in that it will be a few years before NFC really takes off in the US. So does that warrant including it in a device released now? I think there will be plenty of opportunity for NFC embedded devices between then and now.

"...the screen is acceptable (though not nearly what a  Galaxy (or Galaxy 2) is (going to be) capable of when released..."

The resolution of the Moto Photon is better than both Galaxy S and Galaxy S II devices. Though the Sprint Galaxy S II device, being released later this month, will be physically larger the screen resolution will be less than the Photon's pentile LCD 540x960 display. The Galaxy S and Galaxy S II both have 480x800 resolution.

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat