cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) coming to the Photon 4G

Highlighted
Journeyman

No Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) coming to the Photon 4G

So I decided to engage Motorola to find out if the New Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is coming to the Photon 4G and they said no. I'm pretty dissapointed about this. Screen Shot 2011-10-25 at 1.52.47 PM.png

93 REPLIES 93
Highlighted
Journeyman

@fletchlemonjello Yes both have approved. BUT the FCC has not. and that's that so google really can't interfer. so honestly its stupid to think google would have more infulence on a company thats not 100% theres. I'm sure they will get it but none the less they havnt so google won't waste its time. and appently people dont seem to understand the wireless bussines and phone making bussines its not that hard to understand. and honestly if google did help motorola more right now there going to get shit from companies like Samsung & HTC. saying google gives motorola better treatment. which once google owns it if there not able to keep samsung, lg, and htc happy they could screw themself over. but googles biggest reason to buy motorola is not for the phone making part. ITS FOR THE PATENTS so it can share them with HTC, Samsung and other android phone makers to help stop apples lawsuit craziness.
ALSO

motorola really dosnt see the point of putting effort into phones on the sprint network. Motorola is mostly about Verizon Wireless, thats there biggest seller with AT&T and T-Mobile following to get the best moto phones. Sprint is last on the list. and the most dis-liked by motorola the only reason they got the photon was because sprint asked. Now that im saying Samsung and LG are not a big fan of sprint either they just put up with sprint for a few extra sales. and HTC loves sprint because of the EVO line-up which gives htc extra sales. but none the less T-Mobile is HTC's best friend, Motorola is Verizons best friends and LG is AT&Ts best friend. and no one really likes Sprint all that much.

@SA_viper43  Theres many reason for motorola not to give the update to the photon 4G. but they may. idk. i hope so i have the photon. but none the less I'm thinking theres a bettter chanse of my verizon wireless android getting it way before the Photon 4G. and as it is I think sprint will get even less phones with the way theres networks going. Meaning they just screwed so many people over now that there 4G WiMax will no longer be expanding. Due to there hopeful switch of 4G LTE which as of a few hours ago may not be looking so good either if lightsquad (the company that will provide 4G LTE to sprint phones) in the next 2 weeks does not get approval for there network. which then means sprint will have to start from scratch and fall very far behind. AT this point in time and im sure in the near futuer sprint will be a lost cause network who will be doomed to fail.

Highlighted
Journeyman

F.Y.I. the biggest reason for sprints sucky network is after they created there 3G network they have never created any other kind of network. Like there current 4G WiMax network isnt really Sprints network they pay WiMax inc to use the network they have built. which also if they do start getting a 4G LTE network through Lightsquad once again it wont be sprints network. it will be all contract.
and the way LightSquad will run there wireless contract with sprint would force sprint to do away with unlimited data.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know how you hate for me not to have my facts straight but again the FCC has nothing to do with the approval. The Federal Trade Commission of the Dept of Justice might have a say but not the FCC. For someone who is a stickler for facts you seem to be selective on your own.  In FACT the ATT/TMobile deal has nothing to do with this deal nor has it held it up at all.

I agree with you in principle that the deal hasn't fully closed but it is crazy to think Google agrees to pay a certain cash amount for this business but Motorola is free to  neglect or run the business anyway they see fit without some input from Google. Thats all I even initially meant

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've heard similar reports in news stories about the future of Sprint. When Sprint switches to LTE the days of unlimited data will be over. Right now my 3G connection works fine for about 95% of the time, but I'd love to have a 4G connection. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any good way of getting 4G in this area. Verizon has the best network and the best phones but their data plans are really aweful. I guess it's possible that when 3G is finally completely scrapped the bandwidth currently dedicated to 3G will be used to expand 4G and unlimited data, or at least very high data limits, will become common.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not necessarily, If sprint is going to charge a premium data charge for its unlimited 4G services then thats how it should be... But understanding the the cost of the technology behind LTE I just hope they Increase that charge by atleast $5. If they do decide on whetther to keep it unlmtd or per MB... Because I would hate to get terminate this contract I really enjoy the 4g!!!

Highlighted
Wizard

The limit is for those who abuse the plan.

I remember When I first got the EVO I was clocking up to 8GB of data per month in 3G area.

I am still in 3G area with 4 lines and will probably get LTE in 5 years, who knows?

Highlighted
Journeyman

macAvarice wrote:

Not necessarily, If sprint is going to charge a premium data charge for its unlimited 4G services then thats how it should be... But understanding the the cost of the technology behind LTE I just hope they Increase that charge by atleast $5. If they do decide on whetther to keep it unlmtd or per MB... Because I would hate to get terminate this contract I really enjoy the 4g!!!

But the $10 charge is not for 4G

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint just has to pay Motoroloa for the enhancement and probably incur a little cost on their own - not likely.  Lots of misinformation on this thread.

Sprint's red-headed stepchild, Clearwire, provides the 4G network to Sprint.  Clearwire receives a flat fee from Sprint for all the network it can use.  It is inexcusable that Sprint caps 4G data in hotspot, dongle, and wireless router plans. 

Highlighted
Master

Sprint does not incur a cost to have the upgrade pushed - unless you consider the cost of testing which is an internal cost of doing business.

I am against the capping of any plan - of course I am also against speed limits but they were established for the common good of all users.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Highlighted
Wizard

It looks like there is an update coming soon.

Motorola needs Photon testers. Please sign up if you want to test.

http://www.androidcentral.com/photon-4g-owners-wanted-motorola-looking-software-testers

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/d5dbe70261

Highlighted
Journeyman

@M_Marcus:  Unfortunately wrong information was spread and a ton of tech blogs got it wrong. It is not true that Motorola is looking for testers for the Motorola Photon 4G.  The article was suppose to say that Motorola is looking for testers for the upcoming software update for the Motorola Atrix 2 .  I hope that Sprint does not neglect the Photon 4G and at least provide the Ice Cream Sandwich update to it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I WANT some ICS darnit. I know my Photon 4G and all others are capable of using it. I just hope this phone doesn'tget left behind like my sad little HTC Aria. I love Sprint and I would love them more if they get us an update!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat