cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) coming to the Photon 4G

Highlighted
Journeyman

No Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) coming to the Photon 4G

So I decided to engage Motorola to find out if the New Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is coming to the Photon 4G and they said no. I'm pretty dissapointed about this. Screen Shot 2011-10-25 at 1.52.47 PM.png

93 REPLIES 93
Highlighted
Journeyman

That just RIPS it.. I'm dropping Motorola and sprint for selling me a 4G phone, charging me $ 10.00 extra dollars a month, for nothing, and now if and when they get 4G in my area, my Photon 4G will not even work.   Going to drop Sprint, pay a stupid cancellation fee, and go get a Samsung Slll on Verizon.  I think the $  10.00 I save every month, will cover the FEE for cancelling.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well said.  Too bad Sprint doesn't have the backbone or have much to say to Motorola for them to at least provide us with an official tool to root the boot loader so we can put ICS on their ourselves.

Highlighted
Journeyman

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

PHOTON 4G (MB855)

Will remain on Gingerbread (Android 2.3)

I am so disappointed. Motorola promised us the ICS update for MONTHS, and many people bought the Photon 4G on the knowledge that it would be updated to ICS.

Can and will Sprint do anything about this?

I'm stuck with the "flagship" phone for another year and a half, and no ICS / JB. Grrrr.

I was looking forward to actually being able to connect to our corporate VPN (I apparently need ICS to do a simple Cisco IPSEC VPN), and to have my home screen icons be correct when I turn the phone sideways into landscape mode.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is unbelievable!  What awful news!  I don't think the decision was made today not to update the Photon after all.  Motorola probably made the decision a while ago and waited until the last possible minute to break the news.  Well, I guess the last possible minute would have been New Year's Eve, but then they wouldn't be able to sell new phones for Christmas to people who really want newer software.

The $100 rebate program doesn't help Sprint users whatsoever.  Who goes from a sleek phone without a keyboard to a bulky one with a keyboard?  Sprint only sells the Photon Q.  All the cool Motorola phones (e.g., the RAZR line) are exclusive to Verizon Wireless.

I've really enjoyed this phone and was looking forward to getting the software update, so I could continue to enjoy it for many more months.  I think Motorola developed an excellent product and I was convinced to stick with Motorola when purchasing future phones.  However, I no longer have any faith in Motorola to provide support.  What a way to disappoint a potentially loyal customer!

I actually came to the forum today to wish everybody a "Happy Beginning of the Quarter we finally get Android 4.x."

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yep, I figured this would happen.  And I agree, they've known about this decision for some time.  Why else would the chart have been updated today on the very start of the qtr.  And yes the timing for the Christmas rush seems just so perfect.  I too bought into Motorola hoping they would continue to support their phones.  The rebate is so counter to the two year agreement with the cell carriers too.  Such a lame vicious cycle we humans have started here.  I don't know how long it can last?

Highlighted
Wizard

Lucky for me, my Photon 4G is rooted, unlocked and running ICS (CM9)

Maybe I should sell it now and see how much I can get for it on craigslist.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I read somewhere that WiMAX doesn't work on the Photon when it is rooted.  Is that your experience?  I've considered rooting phones in the past, but always stuck with the stock ROM.  If this latest development holds true, I am considering rooting my phone.  It really is ridiculous not to get this software update.  Why haven't you installed JB yet?

Highlighted
Journeyman

@DHANFMAN

That is not true at all.  Being rooted doesn't mean that you lose your WiMAX connection.  I am rooted with the stock rom and I get the 4G WiMAX connection no problem.  I think what you are referring to is when people unlock their bootloaders and then load a custom ROM.  Currently when you load the CM9 and CM10 roms you lose the WiMAX connection since they do NOT support WiMAX because it is not able to pass the RSA authentication keys to the WiMAX towers in order to use it.  What the devs really need from my understanding to get WiMAX to work on CM9 and CM10 is the source code from an official ICS rom (which it looks like we are not getting based on the latest Motorola news).   It doesn't hurt if Motorola would unlock the bootloader for the Photon the correct way instead of using the kludge from the Atrix to unlock the bootloader.

Highlighted
Wizard

When you are rooted, WiMax works

When you are unlocked WiMax does not work. You need to unlock the phone so you can flash other ROMs

In my case, there is no WiMax in my area only 3G

Highlighted
Journeyman

The only reason I would root the Photon is to install an ICS ROM.  If there are no Photon ICS ROMs that support WiMAX, then it doesn't seem worthwhile to root.  WiMAX is available in my area.  I use it regularly for large file downloads and streaming, so I don't want to sacrifice it.  I understand I didn't state specifically that I was referring to installing a custom ROM, so I will try asking the question again.

Is there a 4.x ROM available for the Photon that does not prevent the Photon from connecting to WiMAX?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does this warrant a class action law suit against Motorola? Maybe that would get their attention

Highlighted
Journeyman

Rooting in and of itself will not break 4G.  If you want to put an ICS ROM on it, you will have to unlock the bootloader as well.  THAT will break 4G.  So in a word, no.

@cathyswimvin No, and no it won't.  There was never any contractual agreement stating that you would receive ICS, and the decision to not provide an upgrade to ICS does not in any way hamper or damage your phone.  The Photon was and is one of the most solid working phones I've ever owned.  Disappointed? Sure.  But I still love the phone. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat