cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) coming to the Photon 4G

Journeyman

So I decided to engage Motorola to find out if the New Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is coming to the Photon 4G and they said no. I'm pretty dissapointed about this. Screen Shot 2011-10-25 at 1.52.47 PM.png

Tags (4)
93 REPLIES
GrandMaster

arent all 3 of those phones with verizon? or maybe just the droid ones. either way i know none of them are from sprint. makes you wonder

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others where we can when we can. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************

Yes, all three of those happen to be Verizon devices. The Motorola XOOM is offered by Sprint as well though.

No phones that Sprint carries have been announced to get Android 4.0 yet.

GrandMaster

weird. i didnt know they were carrier specific when it came down to offering out the updates.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others where we can when we can. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************

Android itself as an operating system, comes from Google with the basic software (Think Google's Nexus series of devices). However all of the additional software enhancements added by the manufacturer (like the ability to compose SMS text messages longer than 160 characters) are then added. At this same time the drivers are written for the system to support the hardware is each phone, every chip from the CPU, RAM, GPU, camera, etc. are different from one model of phone to another so the interfaces used by a Qualcomm Snapdragon chip won't be the same as a Samsung Hummingbird processor. Then you have manufacturer's custom interfaces like HTC Sense, MotoBlur, etc. to add to the mix. Then you have the carrier applications like Sprint Navgiation, etc. (these are usually the same applications on all devices so no specific coding is needed for every phone though, it is the same exact app on the LG Optimus as the HTC EVO).

Once all of the coding work is done, it then has to be tested to ensure that it doesn't break the hardware in the phone when flashed to the device, or the network by sending garbage data over the air. Then there is regression testing to ensure other issues don't crop up that may have been fixed previously. If any of these tests fail, it goes back to the manufacturer to fix and build a new software version that corrects the issue, and the testing starts all over again.

Unfortunately Android is not a particularly modular Operating System, despite how its Linux core is. So something as simple as camera firmware that works fine in the camera, could cause havok with Facebook when you go to upload a picture because it interfaces with the gallery (which is directly related to the camera). Part of the reason Android can do so much is that a lot of it uses open APIs that develoeprs can use freely to integrate applications with many things in the system. It also means there are a lot of places for things to potentially go wrong.

Add to the fact that most phones are carrier-specific, even when you are talking about the same device family from a manufacturer. For example, take a look at the Samsung Galaxy S series. You had the Galaxy S (unlocked GSM direct from Samsung), Fascinate (Verizon), Captivate (AT&T), Epic 4G (Sprint) and Vibrant (T-Mobile). Of these they were nearly the same. The Fascinate and Epic added a flash to the camera, and the Epic was the only one with a full slide-out QWERTY keyboard. In addition they were all slightly different shapes and sizes. So while the base fundamental hardware was the same in regards to processing power, memory, etc. much of them were also different. So each of these phones already have different Android builds needed, and that doesn't even take into account things like Carrier applications or differences in the Samsung TouchWiz interface for a landscape view on the Epic that the others don't have since they don't slide out sideways.

Just realized how long winded this became.

GrandMaster

long winded or not it still explains quite a bit.

appreciated

Journeyman

That was a great explanation of the process. Many users aren't aware of the different processes it takes to make a mobile device work. I think the point that is most saddening is that the Photon was literally just released a couple of months ago, and is essentially being EOL'd by the manufacturer. Now Sprint has an unhappy customer that has an already outdated device, but this is also a problem with Android as a whole.

I think Microsoft got it right with Windows Phone, by copying Apple's process for updates. Even the almost year old first gen Windows Phone devices are getting the Mango update, or already have it.

I'm fortunate since I have the NS4G, and will be supported directly by Google for the next 12 months (if they hold true to their 18 month life cycle statement from Google I/O earlier this year).

Journeyman

Settle down. It doesn't say it is never coming. They just haven't announced FOR SURE if it is or isn't. Motorola has only announced what phones FOR SURE ARE getting ICS. With the Photon and Atrix, you have Webtop to think about and like halcyoncmdr123 said, they have to test the phones thoroughly. So yes, if they don't come out with ICS for the Photon in a couple of months, I will be spitting nails. Especially since Googe is buying Motorola. If Google as a parent company can't even get them to upgrade a 2 month old phone. That will say a whole heck of a lot for the future of the Android Alliance. I for one will dump Android forever in favor of the dark side or the windows phone. At least those 2 sides support their products longer.

Journeyman

comptechtchr wrote:

Settle down. It doesn't say it is never coming. They just haven't announced FOR SURE if it is or isn't. Motorola has only announced what phones FOR SURE ARE getting ICS. With the Photon and Atrix, you have Webtop to think about and like halcyoncmdr123 said, they have to test the phones thoroughly. So yes, if they don't come out with ICS for the Photon in a couple of months, I will be spitting nails. Especially since Googe is buying Motorola. If Google as a parent company can't even get them to upgrade a 2 month old phone. That will say a whole heck of a lot for the future of the Android Alliance. I for one will dump Android forever in favor of the dark side or the windows phone. At least those 2 sides support their products longer.

This.

Doesn't say that no other phones will be getting it.  The devices listed are the ones that are getting it for sure.  Motorola said they will announce their upgrade plans about 6 weeks after ICS drops, so we will know then.  Personally, I'd be shocked if the Photon didn't get it.  It might be more than a couple months, but I do think it will get it.

Wizard

If I cannot get ICS officially on the Photon, they leave me no choice.

Switch or root is looking good now.

I just have to check with them the EFT for 3 of my 4 lines

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.