cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook sync with Android Calendar and Contacts?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Outlook sync with Android Calendar and Contacts?

I did a considerable amount of due diligence re whether I could keep Outlook and sync with my Android phone - Motorola Photon 4G.  I even had to download Companionlink and that doesn't even do it at first try.

I even wrote a letter to the local newspaper and the journalist reached out to a Sprint contact.  Sprint swore up and down this could be accomplished on a practical and recurring basis.

Two questions:

1.  Is it possible?

2.  If not, is there other desktop software that I can use to replace Outlook as much as I don't want to?

44 REPLIES 44
Highlighted
Journeyman

I tried Outllook Hotmail Connector. Made a file to import.  The error stated the file was too big. I have acquired a ton of contacts through my years in business.  What else would it be but big. So that was useless.  Any other suggestions?

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

What were you importing? And to where?

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

With respect, those of you chiming in late, please read the postings above.  Suffice to say that any solutions to syncing Outlook with Android require myriad steps and are ineffective.  My conclusion is a result of 2 months of research and first hand experience.

I am turning my Photon in tomorrow morning at the local Sprint Store.  I have confirmed that the IPhone 4 or 5 will sync with Outlook with the inexpensive package Mobileme.  I plan to limp into October with my old BB Curve until the release of the iPhone 5 in October.  If not Sprint than a new carrier.

I refuse to dump everything into Google's cloud.  Call me a dinosaur and stubborn.  Call them arrogant.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

I disagree, I use the Hotmail connector, and I have My live.com setup as an exchange email account. It works perfectly, I have spoken to several people who have been using the google apps sync with success as well, The setup is Quick and easy, what myriad of steps are you referring to?

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I talked to Motorola today and was told that if you put your data into Gmail that it will sync with Outlook without the need of using Gmail each time.  See my question and his response.

[03:21:40 PM] Kim Huff: ok... but you PROMISE me that if i copy all of my data into gmail... this will automatically and without the use of a USB cable allow me to sync with Outlook. I will not have to enter contacts into gmail, write emails in gmail, or schedule appointments in gmail. i can do all of these things within Outlook OR my phone and it will all sync without any manual steps from me.

[03:22:21 PM] Juc: Yes, Kim.

Believe me, I think it is a crock of sh*t that we have to go through Gmail but if it works without me needing to do anything and I can still use Outlook... I am willing to do that until a better solution comes up.

JBUBR59, Have you tried VCOrganizer Pro?  I am willing to pay the money if it works.

Kim

Highlighted
Journeyman

May have to try HTC as they have a Hot Sync download. I am going to try on my girlfriend's Windows HTC 7HD phone. I'll keep you posted.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For the record, I had Google Calendar working between Outlook and the Photon.  Despite my best efforts, I was never seamlessly operational with contact mgt.  My contacts in Outlook got all messed up in the process and I had to go back and clean up.

Perhaps I am spoiled with how seamless the BlackBerry sync process is with Outlook.

So I returned my Photon yesterday at the shop.  Was told as I walked out the door than the Photon synced with Outlook no problem and that my BlackBerry was reprovisioned and ready to go.

Then I got home and had to spend yet another hour on the phone with Sprint service reprovisioning my BB.  And despite their promises, I lost email and an voicemail in the process.

But I managed to resync my BB with Outlook and I am clean and satisfied for now.

My next fork in the road is whether to wait for the iPhone 5 from Sprint or change carriers.  I have confirmed that Outlook syncs with the iPhone 5 using a package called Mobileme.  I shall see.

THANKS TO EVERYBODY FOR EMPATHIZING WITH MY PAIN.  PROBABLY MORE PRODUCTIVE THIS MONTH WITHOUT DOWNLOADING GOOFY ANDROID APPS.

Highlighted
Journeyman

JBUBR59 -

So sorry to read this thread too late.  I had the same issues.  Just wanted to sync contacts and calendar with Outlook desktop version.  I went through a lot of pain.  Tried MyPhoneExplorer and it synced, but I couldn't create new contacts on my phone that would sync with Outlook.  Bizarre.  I also tried Android-Sync, which simply never could sync with my Photon, despite several attempts.

As a last gasp measure, I tried VCOrganizer Pro - plunked down the twenty bucks and voila, it works perfectly.  Not only that, you get some really nice widgets and a much more robust calendar and contacts than with the stock Photon.  It just works, which was all I wanted.  If you decide to come back to Android, give it a try.  I can't speak for the Lite version of VC, but I know the Pro version is great.

Good luck with the BB.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have a BB from work and I got my wife a Photon. I am still tryuing to figure out how to use Outlook on the Photon, but I would NEVER go back to the Stone-Age BB. I am surprised BB still exists, but hey people still have home phones and read newspapers. As for the I phone 5, see if the grass is greener over there. I have absolutely NO complaints about this Photon and have NO interest in the I phone 5 because this phone is so great...I will wait for the free app. Outlook, like Microsoft, is not important anymore.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Back when home phones, newspapers and indoor plumbing were in vogue, reading comprehension was better I suppose.  I recovered my BB while I wait for the iPhone 5 to launch in October.  You have absolutely NO complaints because there is no need for YOU to synch YOUR OUTLOOK with YOUR WIFE'S phone.  Capisce?  By all means if you think it's a good idea to purchase a phone for one month and then ditch it, have at it.  Outlook and Microsoft's market share disprove your naive proclamation about their importance.  But then again, I wouldn't expect a security guard living at his parents home with his wife in the basement to know that.  Not especially with Madden 12 coming out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have reported your abuse and hope you are banned. Your childish behavior is annoying and your sophomoric insults have no place in an adult forum. I was not being personal but you were.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm still trying to be nice here...Sprint has a 30 day guarantee for a reason. I may decide in the next 2 weeks that I want to return this phone and I certainly will if I am not completely happy. My company, where I'm not a security guard, has the same offer on its equipment and services.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat