cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photon 4G

Journeyman

Photon 4G

So the Sprint/Motorola press event took place and they announced the Photon 4G.  Releasing "sometime" this summer.  Dang, I just wish Sprint would start releasing their dual core phones already!  I hope a release date is given soon, and that "summer" means early summer and not sometime in September.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/09/motorola-photon-4g-gets-official-on-sprint-available-this-summer/

54 REPLIES 54
Journeyman

Photon 4G

Ok tecchies, can you guys explain to me why I should or shouldn't wait for this phone as opposed to the EVO 3D?

I was waiting for this announcement b/c I actually prefer the slightly smaller feel of the Atrix, but it seems like this phone will be the same size as the EVO.  What do you guys think, what make this phone preferable to the EVO 3D?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Photon 4G

For me, the answer is simple: the Photon is a world phone with GSM support. I currently use a Touch Pro2, and while I don't travel internationally very often, the few times I have it was sure convenient to buy a local SIM with data, pop it into my phone, and have full data access while traveling. To me, this is more valuable than having 3D capability, which is where the EVO shines.

The kickstand on the Photon is a nice addition too ... I often open up the keyboard on my TP2, tilt the screen, and set it on my desk horizontally (not to type, just to work with the screen) ... the kickstand enables the same capability.

Journeyman

Photon 4G

Thank you, that was very helpful.  Those are the type of things I was wondering about.

I don't do much travelling outside the US, but I could see why that would be key.  The 3D doesn't do that much for me either.

I hope they give a release date when this phone is announced, that will definitely factor into my decision.

Thanks again.

Wizard

Photon 4G

Now I have a choice to stay with Sprint.

Was going to get HTC Sensation but this is a world phone that will make me stay.

Wizard

Photon 4G

If I can use it in Japan, then this will likely be my next phone.

Journeyman

Photon 4G

Does anyone know how the size and weight of this device will compare to the EVO3D?  For me that's a big deciding factor in which device I will choose to get.

Wizard

Photon 4G

Here is the link to the specs comparison from android central

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-3d-and-motorola-photon-specs-comparison

Journeyman

Photon 4G

This wait is rediculous don't hype a phone get us excited and provide us with no damn clue when its coming. Summer is so broad. I am eligable for a upgrade and its begging to be used so come one I want to give you money and sign a contract... get with it sprint and moto you could have just had the damn thig ready waited and not announced til after the evo 3d and shipped same day

Wizard

Photon 4G

It hasn't even been a full month since it was announced. What do you expect them to announce and make it available the next day?

There is testing the hardware, software, prepping the network, stocking stores, training reps, bug fixes from testing and a HUGE amount of others things that go into a launch of a new device.

It is slated to be released the third quarter on this year from the last update I read. But that doesn't mean it won't launch sooner if they can.

DGOOD9744 wrote:

This wait is rediculous don't hype a phone get us excited and provide us with no **** clue when its coming. Summer is so broad. I am eligable for a upgrade and its begging to be used so come one I want to give you money and sign a contract... get with it sprint and moto you could have just had the **** thig ready waited and not announced til after the evo 3d and shipped same day

Wizard

Photon 4G

Patience my friend!

Journeyman

Photon 4G

Spoke with a Sprint rep. the other day and they believe that based on their pricing and information sheets, they will get the device on July 24th. I cannot wait!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat