cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photon Software Update

Highlighted
Wizard

Photon Software Update

A software update to 4.5.1A-1_Sun-154_5 is available for the Motorola PHOTON 4G (MB855) beginning Tuesday, 8/23/11.

Fixes:

Enables mono Bluetooth headsets to work with Visual Voicemail.
Improvements to voice calling to eliminate inadvertent voice calls defaulting to mute.
Improved phone performance and stability, resulting in fewer occurrences of unresponsiveness

To do the update:

An Update available screen will appear with the following options available for selection:

Download to continue

Later to be reminded of the update in 1 hour

Cancel to skip the update

Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the update.

When the download is complete, the Install Update screen will appear.

Select Install now to install the software on the device or select Install later to postpone the install for 1 hour.

The installation could take up to 7 minutes to complete, at which time the device will turn off then back on

Note: The phone will be unable to make or receive calls at this time.

When installation completes successfully, Update Status - The software update was successful! will appear.

Tap OK.

36 REPLIES 36
Highlighted
Journeyman

Just went to Update Motorola Software and was told there were no updates available?  Will this be pushed out over time?

Highlighted
Master

As with all Android updates, it may take several days before the push is completed to all devices and every phone can download the update. This reduces the number of people downloading the update at any given time and means faster downloads for everyone across the board.

In addition, just because the post has been annouced for the update does not mean it is on the server itself yet to be downloaded (notice no time is given, just that is is starting today).

Highlighted
Wizard

This is very true, from what I have seen of other updates, what I would expect is that for the first day (today), maybe about 5 percent can check and download it. The second day, it jumps to about 20 percent, the day after that about 50 percent, and then after 4 days normally it is available to anyone whom checks for it.

This is more a notice that yes, we can finally say that there is an update, and while its worth checking to see if it's available to you in the next couple of days, don't worry if you can't get it quite yet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks to all for the clarification.  I'm happy to say I'm not having any issues with the phone (knock on wood) but would hate to miss out on any kind of updates.  I lived through the Samsung Nexus S 4G nightmare, and I guess it made me a little gun shy.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello All

I did just get off the phone with Motorola and they did confirm the update is being pushed out over the next 7 days. The informed me that if I don't have it in 7 days to call back and they will push it to our phones. So far we love the Photon and the voice issue is the only one we have had!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the update available to me. Downloading now. I haven't had many issues. I have had to pull the battery once due to lockup.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Downloading now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Update took about 5 min. Phone feels a lot snappier. Transitions are smoother and take less time. Animations are more fluid and appear to run at higher framerates. Calls are same, high quality I had before. Kudos to Moto and Sprint. Thanks for the quick update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Suffice it to say that I love this phone, and really want to keep it, but have had such troubles with the "silent call" issue. It got really, really bad. I am happy to report that I just checked for the update, and there it was! It was a quick less-than-ten-minute update, and I am happy to report that this seems to be the fix. I made a few test calls, and the phone is behaving like a phone should. If you do not have the update pushed to your phone, continue to look for it:

Home-->Settings-->About Phone->System Updates->Update Motorola Software

Good Luck!

Highlighted
Journeyman

WoooHoo...just did the update and the calling part of the phone works like a charm!

Glad I didnt have to wait 7 days! Working great...knock on wood!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Got the update this morning and now phone calls work.  This was the only issue I've had with the phone.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat