cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photon versus Evo 3D

Highlighted
Journeyman

Photon versus Evo 3D

The Photon has been out for a while, and I've noticed that the complaints on this forum have started to settle down into a pattern (as opposed to the way forums always are in the first few days of a phone's release). Do we have a consensus yet on the Photon vs. Evo 3D question yet? Based purely on reading the forums, the Evo 3D seems to have more and more serious issues (albeit for a small portion of the user base), but of course forums alone don't tell the whole story. I'm hoping to hear from people who have used both (or at least are somewhat familiar with both).

41 REPLIES 41
Master

TLAZAROFF01 wrote:

Good to know.  I'm pressing my system update button hourly, if not more! 

<_<

>_>

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/327786#327786

Highlighted
Journeyman

this says it all. I was absoluely DISGUSTED when I turned on this Photon and saw the screen. It gives me a damn headache and I really hate it. I see dots dots dots. Why would they put such a horible screen on such a powerful processor? Battery? Its great with the battery but what good is this when the screen sucks and screws up your eyes? I have been having trouble with my eyes really bad since I got this. I had to get it because my evo 3d had terible reception, but since I ordered it before the store actually got it I was stuck with it. Its been 2 weeks or so and I just want the evo 3d back. Bad signal and all I guess..

Highlighted
Journeyman

Haven't messed with the 3D (looks phoney to me) as I did play with it in the store but, I do own the Photon. Motorola done it's home work to impress me. The stock widgets, calculator and the keyboard I don't like but, that's what the Android Market is for. I am a truck driver so I use the GPS ALL the time. Very few glitches as mine doesn't have a clear view to the sky. The Photon has way better settings than HTC has and the battery last longer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Motorola just put out an update to fix the  BT issue going mute.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have no such issue. Maybe you should have Sprint techs look at the phone and replace the screen?

Highlighted
Wizard

where do you see dots? i am a photon tester and got it the day before anyone got it and i got it to test so it was not a purchase.But i do not see these dots? i have had the call issue and random reboots but i do not see these dots that give off a headace? either it is a defect or some BS but i would have it checked out of this is really the case.

Highlighted

Regarding headaches, you should take the phone in and have it looked at.  I have heard similar complaints re: the EVO 3d's screen when viewing 3d images.  I own the EVO but I didn't get it for 3d content, I had a 4g before and I like the upgades (faster proccesser, screen resolution, battery life etc.).  I don't own a photon but it sounds like an excellent phone.  Good luck

Highlighted
Journeyman

JET1959MO wrote:

Motorola just put out an update to fix the  BT issue going mute.

That's great news!

Highlighted
Journeyman

JETER2711 wrote:

where do you see dots? i am a photon tester and got it the day before anyone got it and i got it to test so it was not a purchase.But i do not see these dots? i have had the call issue and random reboots but i do not see these dots that give off a headace? either it is a defect or some BS but i would have it checked out of this is really the case.

You're not always going to see it depending on what is being displayed and depending on your eyesight.

Normal LCD panels arrange the subpixels thusly:

[RGB] - [RGB]

PenTile arranges them something like this:

[RRB] - [GGB]

Blue subpixels use more energy (higher frequency), and for some reason this subpixel arrangement saves energy. If you have sharp eyesight and certain things are displayed on screen, then this can produce a bit of a moire pattern as a PenTile screen needs two pixels instead of one to produce certain colors accurately. However, I believe the Samsung AMOLED screens use a PenTile subpixel arrangement and I've never noticed such patterns on my Vibrant, although that may be because my eyes are bad or because AMOLED does something to obscure/diminish the moire effect.

I'm going to need to see a functioning Photon screen in the store before making a decision. My eyes may very well be bad enough that I won't notice the effect.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi. That was a well articulated post. Thx for explaining this. Its strange because sometimes I see pixels and sometimes I don't. It seems like viewing videos and pictures shows it most. I think my eyes adjust to it and that's why I get blurry vision and a headache. The battery does last incredible amounts of time. Right now I have both phones, evo 3d and a photon. I am using the photon right now and I always find myself using.g it over the 3d. This is the 3rd  evo 3d I have got and it has the exact same signal issues as the last 2. Basically I guess when the signal is not great, then its really bad on the EVO 3d.  So in my house I only use the photon.

I go through phases with liking this phone and hating it because the display. It is true that somehow the display uses way less battery. All in all I think the appear built in are superior. HTC seems to focus more on looks and Motorola only spends time on its apps. I love this keyboard too. The quiet speaker on the EVO really is a bummer. I am always around noise so I need it to be louder. I use speaker phone a lot because I don't like radiation in my head Haha. The volume on the photon is superb and clear with a unique sound settings menu. Bass boost.. treble etc. Also has  presets for eq.

So e en though I get frustrated with the screen.. I still love it.  I just wish I has the EVO screen with the photon features. I have not dropped a call yet with the photon. I the EVO 3d has dropped a bunch. The EVO 4G I had dropped a few too in the short time I had it.  Being a phone.. this is very important. I can't drop calls and find out someone called by getting their Voicemail( phone never rang and says nobody called then a voice mail comes)

Anyway, whatever u pick I hope it works well for u. Thanks again for the info.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for all your input, everyone. I went to a Sprint store to see the phones in person and even with my eyes I found the PenTile subpixel arrangement to be noticeable and distracting, so I am now the proud owner of an Evo 3D.