cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photon versus Evo 3D

Highlighted
Journeyman

Photon versus Evo 3D

The Photon has been out for a while, and I've noticed that the complaints on this forum have started to settle down into a pattern (as opposed to the way forums always are in the first few days of a phone's release). Do we have a consensus yet on the Photon vs. Evo 3D question yet? Based purely on reading the forums, the Evo 3D seems to have more and more serious issues (albeit for a small portion of the user base), but of course forums alone don't tell the whole story. I'm hoping to hear from people who have used both (or at least are somewhat familiar with both).

41 REPLIES 41
Highlighted
Journeyman

TLAZ wrote:

Glad you found a phone that works for you.  Funny that we all have different needs/priorities.  For me, the pentile screen is a plus.  I could never see the phone display on the EVO in daylight.  The photon is very bright, by contrast.  And since I don't watch videos, I never noticed the subpixel issue people talk so much about.  But it's nice to have the options we do on Sprint. 

Yeah, the Evo 3D certainly has its drawbacks, particularly while you're wearing polarized glasses and the bright sun is putting bright reflections onto your screen while you're driving (grumble), but for now I'll take this over the PenTile screen and slower firmware updates.

Journeyman

Again it comes down to personal preference. No phone has everything, you have to sacrifice one for the other..I have the 3d and the photon and love them both. My girlfriend currently uses the 3d and I am using the photon. The 3d has Sense 3.0 which I think is the best UI around, however I like the camera on the photon better. The Evo has the 3d function which is a lot of fun and cool to show off, the photon has a better radio. I prefer the build quality of the 3d, but the photon has a kickstand. The evo's screen, to me, appears to be crisper, the photon has a better speaker. Just enjoy the things that are great about your phone and don't get bummed on the bad points. Otherwise you will never be happy. However the more I use the photon, the more I love it. The Epic touh will be great too but I don't care for touchwiz. So whatever phone you have..enjoy, they are all great phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I actually liked the Photon display better than the EVO 4G &   3EVO. I have owned both. I also use/used a privacy screen on all which  makes HD viewing less than pristine. I purchased the Photon because:

1. they fixed the dropped call issue.

2. almost 3GB  of user addressable internal storage. Closet any other Sprint phone has  come to this much internal storage is the 3VO at almost 1GB.

3. 3D is less than practical, has a limited audience, few apps & could be considered at this point a fad.

4. The Photon is slightly wider than the 3VO & fits my hand better.

5.  the kickstand on the Photon was missed on the 3VO. It is also stronger  than the EVO 4G kickstand & can support the phone in either  landscape rotation. Even while plugged in.

6. HTC was negligent IMO with their design of the USB port on the   EVO 4G causing many people to end up with broken charge ports. I'm not   confident this won't be a problem on thier hardware.

7. I also did  not like the fact EVO 4G came with bloatware that  could not be  uninstalled. Depsite the tiny 468MB of internal storage  HTC knew we would have. Yet they allowed  bloatware to be uninstalled  from the 3VO. These inconsistencies and the  problem with HTC sense  reloading to a white screen with green htc  letters and a few other  annoyances made me want to try a new  manufacturer.

The only thing about the Photon I do not like thus far are the   fact you are not prompted with an option to import contacts only to the   phone. Not everyone wants Google to store/access all their contacts.

Last but not least the Photon weather widget rotates through your added  cities in much the same fashion as the sense did on the 3VO. The Photon is also lighter than the 3VO, stays cooler and manages battery life noticeabley better than the 3VO or Evo 4G does. I also noticed the power widget on the Photon is more accurate with regards to toggling the GPS than it was on either EVO I had.

Highlighted
Journeyman

He's probably talking about the obvious ugly pixelization and hashing that the average person can see straight away with any Pentile screen, particularly when looking at it next to any normal screen.

For example, he probably noticed this: (Photon pentile QHD display on left, EVO3D QHD (S-LCD) on right)

http://community.sprint.com/baw/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-326078-20857/290-399/_DSC0865sm2.jpghttp://community.sprint.com/baw/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-326078-20897/290-399/_DSC0866sm2.jpg

Highlighted
Journeyman

mrjarhead wrote:

He's probably talking about the obvious ugly pixelization and hashing that the average person can see straight away with any Pentile screen, particularly when looking at it next to any normal screen.

For example, he probably noticed this: (Photon pentile QHD display on left, EVO3D QHD (S-LCD) on right)

http://community.sprint.com/baw/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-326078-20857/290-399/_DSC0865sm2.jpghttp://community.sprint.com/baw/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-326078-20897/290-399/_DSC0866sm2.jpg

Yep, I checked it out in the store to see if it would bother me, and it did.

Technically, though, it's not called "pixelization" but "dithering" (sorry for getting pedantic on you).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I started off with the Photon. I noticed right away that I got full signal and 4g. Here I live 15 miles from the neartest tower, in a valley within the mountains. All other phones I had in the past from T-Mobile and Verizon either got and X for signal or just enough of a signal to make a worthless phone call. I kept hearing how great the 3D phone was. I bought one, and got very poor signal reception. My downloads kept getting paused, and I lost many phone calls. Sprint told me it was probably poor radio's in the phone, and try out another 3d. I did, but had little or no reception again. I was quite diappointed. I went back and got the Photon again... and got full signal and 4g (again). To me it is most important to have a good signal. The best and prettiest phones are useless in their use with no signal...

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat