cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photon versus Evo 3D

Highlighted
Journeyman

Photon versus Evo 3D

The Photon has been out for a while, and I've noticed that the complaints on this forum have started to settle down into a pattern (as opposed to the way forums always are in the first few days of a phone's release). Do we have a consensus yet on the Photon vs. Evo 3D question yet? Based purely on reading the forums, the Evo 3D seems to have more and more serious issues (albeit for a small portion of the user base), but of course forums alone don't tell the whole story. I'm hoping to hear from people who have used both (or at least are somewhat familiar with both).

41 REPLIES 41
Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

They both work really well.  From a 'corporate' perspective, I like the Photon better.  Better display and functionality in the mail, calendar and phone apps.  From an entertainment perspective, I like the Evo 3D better.  Prettier, 'cooler', Skype with Video etc.

Neither have had serious fatal problems in the short time I've used them.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

My thoughts based on what I've read (which is admittedly 3rd hand info):

• HTC in general tends to produce better quality GPS receivers, but there are many complaints about the quality of GPS on the Evo 3D.
  • HTC tends to use very low quality external speakers in high end phones, but the external speaker in the Evo 3D seems less bad than, say, the one used in the HTC Sensation.
  • Both phones seem to suffer from random shutdowns and startups, which seem to be very common problems with newer Android phones (check out some of the other forums for newer Android phones at this and other carriers). If the forums are anything to go by, the Evo 3D is having more trouble with this than the Photon.
  • Like most Android manufacturers, Motorola tends to be sluggish in the rate at which they put out firmware updates. HTC seems to generally be better in this regard. Of course, for all I know, HTC could just be pushing out crappier, more bug-filled firmware updates to produce these results (I have not ever owned an HTC phone).
  • HTC tends to have more problems with Wi-Fi antennas, although the Evo 3D does not seem to have as many Wi-Fi issues as the HTC Sensation (which has very similar hardware). Since I rarely use Wi-Fi, this is not much of an issue for me, but may be for others (particularly rural users).

Any other thoughts you have to offer would be appreciated, and personal experiences with both phones would be especially appreciated.

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

I've had the opportunity to use both for extended periods of time over the last 2 months and I've had good experiences with both.  Just to build on what wengla02 has stated it largely depends on what you want out of a phone.  Most individual users are interested in multimedia and the UI presentation so If you are a big widget user like I am I would shuttle you toward the EVO 3D.  HTC does a fantastic job offering a wide range of stock widgets and they put a ton of work into the graphic presentation of the UI and widgets which make them my display benchmark.   The Photon does a great job of intregrating the tools that wengla02 mentioned making it very user friendly to transition between those functions.  (becomes a very handy office tool)    I've got a blog running that has a few post on both device, they aren't written from a tech perspective but will give you some additional info that might help.

http://www.mblspt.blogspot.com/

Highlighted
Journeyman

SRAMSE646 wrote:

I've had the opportunity to use both for extended periods of time over the last 2 months and I've had good experiences with both.  Just to build on what wengla02 has stated it largely depends on what you want out of a phone.  Most individual users are interested in multimedia and the UI presentation so If you are a big widget user like I am I would shuttle you toward the EVO 3D.  HTC does a fantastic job offering a wide range of stock widgets and they put a ton of work into the graphic presentation of the UI and widgets which make them my display benchmark.   The Photon does a great job of intregrating the tools that wengla02 mentioned making it very user friendly to transition between those functions.  (becomes a very handy office tool)    I've got a blog running that has a few post on both device, they aren't written from a tech perspective but will give you some additional info that might help.

http://www.mblspt.blogspot.com/

As stated, my number one concern is GPS accuracy, as I use my current phone as a GPS device for up to 5 hours per weekday in a big city where there are lots of things that can screw up GPS accuracy if the antenna isn't pretty decent. I have a bluetooth GPS receiver to correct the GPS problems with my current phone, but I would rather not use it since I originally bought a smart phone to reduce the number of devices I lug around with me daily.

Wi-Fi reception isn't really such a big deal for me unless the Wi-Fi reception is unusually bad such as the human body signal attenuation that HTC Sensation users have been reporting (oddly enough, users of the nearly identical Evo 3D have not been reporting this).

A bad external speaker is a concern for me, but not as important as GPS. I rarely use speakerphone mode, but when I do it is typically in a noisy environment.

I think I outlined some of my other concerns in the bullet points above. The frequency and quality of firmware updates is as important to me as it is for most smartphone users, and HTC is generally much better than Motorola in this regard, but of course things could be different with these particular models, especially in light of the recent Google purchase.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

i have seen some good and bad with the 3D speakerphone volume but i havent really heard much about the GPS or WIFI issues. least i havent seen any with my current phone which is the EVO 4G. i rarely use my phone GPS but when i do it works just fine. either way im going to wait until their next hardware version comes out and see how those ones work.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

regarding the display on the Photon..

I completely disagree that its a better display. It actually is worse since it's Pentile. Basically it doesnt put out actual QHD resolution, the QHD is the perceived visual resolution given by the Pentile matrix. The biggest issue besides the glaringly obvious pixelization due to the compromise that is Pentile technology, is eye fatigue. Stare at the Photon/Atrix/Droid X2/ Droid 3 display for extended periods of time and scroll through pages etc. and its a huge difference compared to regular LCD / IPS / SLCD / SAMOLED.

In fact put any of the above Moto phones side by side against the Evo 3D, Evo, ATT Inspire 4G, original Droid, Droid X etc, all using LCD displays in one form or another, and do some usage and scrolling and see which seems clearer and which fatigues your eyes less.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/26/a-closer-look-at-the-droidx2-and-its-qhd-display-pentile-at-its...

"It’s very difficult for a Pentile RGBW display to produce straight  lines, some times leaving spots with an almost jagged (or grainy) edge  to them."

"qHD to Motorola is indeed just a marketing term, because this screen is  no where near HD-quality.   You can see pixels on the device with a  naked eye, colors are never correct, and the instant head pounding that  you receive while scrolling through anything is something I’ve never  seen from another phone.  It’s not pretty in the Moto PenTile world."

Highlighted
Journeyman

ERICKSONTX1 wrote:

regarding the display on the Photon..

I completely disagree that its a better display. It actually is worse since it's Pentile. Basically it doesnt put out actual QHD resolution, the QHD is the perceived visual resolution given by the Pentile matrix. The biggest issue besides the glaringly obvious pixelization due to the compromise that is Pentile technology, is eye fatigue. Stare at the Photon/Atrix/Droid X2/ Droid 3 display for extended periods of time and scroll through pages etc. and its a huge difference compared to regular LCD / IPS / SLCD / SAMOLED.

In fact put any of the above Moto phones side by side against the Evo 3D, Evo, ATT Inspire 4G, original Droid, Droid X etc, all using LCD displays in one form or another, and do some usage and scrolling and see which seems clearer and which fatigues your eyes less.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/26/a-closer-look-at-the-droidx2-and-its-qhd-display-pentile-at-its...

"It’s very difficult for a Pentile RGBW display to produce straight  lines, some times leaving spots with an almost jagged (or grainy) edge  to them."

"qHD to Motorola is indeed just a marketing term, because this screen is  no where near HD-quality.   You can see pixels on the device with a  naked eye, colors are never correct, and the instant head pounding that  you receive while scrolling through anything is something I’ve never  seen from another phone.  It’s not pretty in the Moto PenTile world."

Thanks for the info. I've seen many complaints about PenTile, but not had it explained in detail like that. I take it the Evo 3D does not use a PenTile subpixel arrangement?

Highlighted
GrandMaster

question. i know with AT&T you can browse the web while on a phone call. i was told this is because they have a sim card. is this also true with the photon. or how exactly does that work?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
GrandMaster

from what i have heard on the reverse of that the LCD screens use more power and are known to heat up. true or not?

Highlighted
Journeyman

all the Evo's use standard RGB displays. Photon is the only pentile/RGBW phone in the Sprint lineup I believe.

"

question. i know with AT&T you can browse the web while on a phone call. i was told this is because they have a sim card. is this also true with the photon. or how exactly does that work?"

It's because they're GSM, so its possible with T-Mobile also. With Sprint and VZN you can do it if LTE or Wimax are on (4G), that's with any 4G phone Photon or not.

"

from what i have heard on the reverse of that the LCD screens use more power and are known to heat up. true or not?"

Thanks to its compromises in visual fidelity Pentile displays consume less power and wash out less in sunlight. However for me I'd rather look at something that doesnt screw up colors and straight lines, and also doesnt give eye fatigue, and just pay the $9 delivered on ebay to get 2 spare generic batteries and a standalone wall charger for them.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

i think alot of the back and forth comes down to the individual person.

me personally the 3D sounds more like something i would like. then again id much rather pack around a more bulky phone because of a extended battery and back than multiple batteries. when in doubt i can always club a mugger with it or something lol

so the only way to browse and talk on the phone is if we're on 4G? not all conversations are that interesting..would be nice to browse and kill time while they yak in my ear

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat