cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photon versus Evo 3D

Highlighted
Journeyman

Photon versus Evo 3D

The Photon has been out for a while, and I've noticed that the complaints on this forum have started to settle down into a pattern (as opposed to the way forums always are in the first few days of a phone's release). Do we have a consensus yet on the Photon vs. Evo 3D question yet? Based purely on reading the forums, the Evo 3D seems to have more and more serious issues (albeit for a small portion of the user base), but of course forums alone don't tell the whole story. I'm hoping to hear from people who have used both (or at least are somewhat familiar with both).

41 REPLIES 41
Highlighted
Journeyman

Both phones have their pros and cons. I can live with the pentile display whch personally doesnt bother me at all to have what i think is a superior camera and video cam...i love that you can zoom while recording. I have no use for 3d however i love the kickstand on the photon. I dont like the oversized dedicated camera button on the 3d and much prefer the sleek industrial look of the photon's. The speaker on the photon blows the evo's away too. There is always some cons to every phone, its just a what is most important to each individual in the trade off.

Highlighted
Journeyman

fireguy_63 wrote:

me personally the 3D sounds more like something i would like. then again id much rather pack around a more bulky phone because of a extended battery and back than multiple batteries. when in doubt i can always club a mugger with it or something lol

so the only way to browse and talk on the phone is if we're on 4G? not all conversations are that interesting..would be nice to browse and kill time while they yak in my ear

I dont actually think the 3D part of the EVO 3D is all that great or compelling actually, it's a nice gimmick but thats all. I am sticking with it because it is very fast and smooth, the display is great and true QHD and not grainy like my Photon's, and Sense 3.0 is far better than whatever flavor of Blur Moto has put on the Photon.

There's a nice review on Anandtech of precisely these two phones highlighting exactly what's been discussed here. They prefer the Evo's display, Sense 3.0 over Moto Blur, and also note that it wins in real world performance as well. A couple good shots highlighting the Evo vs Photon displays.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4643/htc-evo-3d-vs-motorola-photon-4g-best-sprint-phone/2

Highlighted
Journeyman

_DSC0865sm2.jpg_DSC0866sm2.jpg

Left: Photon. Right: EVO 3D

Highlighted
GrandMaster

there was rumor of another htc evo phone coming out. the evo 4G2 or whatever they are going to call it. basically the evo 3D minus the 3D abilities. the 2D/3D switch/button is supposed to now be the switch between camera and video.

again only rumor. but i have heard alot of those rumors.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Has anyone had a chance to directly compare the GPS accuracy of these two phones?

Highlighted
Wizard

I just tested it for you, using the app GPS Test. This is by no means meant to be conclusive. They seem quite comparable. I was able to lock onto 12 GPS satellites with the Photon, and only 9 with the 3D. I wasn't able to get accuracy reported on the Photon, but the 3D only showed accurate within 80 feet, which is less than impressive. Now these results are likely far off from how the GPS performs outdoors as I work in a building with a tin roof, but they did have a level playing field.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've used each phone for about 2 weeks, and I would agree that GPS is better with Photon.  In fact, all the radios are better.  Phone reception and wifi win hands down over the 3VO.  And I personally like the pentile screen.  Unless you use a magnifying glass to look at your screen, or you delight in counting pixels, I doubt you'll notice.  The Photon's battery life is also better in my experience - it gets an extra couple of hours or more than the 3VO. 

That said, the UI on the 3VO is just light years better.  Sense is easier and more intuitive, and the Sense browser beats any of the 3 I've tried on the Photon.  Plus, BT on the 3VO is easier to use than the Photon.  My Parrot hands-free car kit has worked with every phone under the sun over the last 3 years, but it fights tooth and nail with the Photon.  I've seen several other BT complaints about the Photon as well. 

The biggest issue to me is the Photon is still an unknown quantity.  The silent call issue has yet to be worked out (even though it's still a very young phone) and the other assorted annoyances may all be fixed in short order... or not.  The 3VO is more seasoned.  The big kinks seem to largely have been worked out.  So how willing are you to wait/be annoyed/tweak before you get what you want?  The Photon has more potential, IMO.  But the 3VO has realized a lot more of its potential already.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually, Don, that is exactly the kind of answer I'm looking for as I'm worried about navigating through certain problem areas with large near-horizon obstructions that cause all sorts of problems with weaker GPS antennas.

Lazar, thanks for your observations about the radios, bluetooth issues, etc., as that is also what I'm looking for. At least if I get the Evo3D and find the GPS inadequate, I know my bluetooth GPS receiver should work fine with it. Judging from the forums, HTC is putting out firmware updates for the Evo3D much faster than Motorola is for the Photon, which follows the general pattern with their other phones. With the crappy speaker on the Evo3D and PenTile on the Photon, it's still a pretty close call. Hopefully when I go into a Sprint store, they'll let me see both screens in person to make a final determination.

Highlighted
Journeyman

There is an update for the photon coming friday the 26th. It will fix the silent call issue and a couple otger bugs.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can you tell me where you heard the 26th?  I've seen some threads about leaked OTA's, but no one is offering a firm date. 

do you know something we don't? 

Highlighted
Master

I can neither confirm nor deny the date as nothing has officially been released about it... 😉

However, the issue has been identified and is fixed in test builds of the software. An update should be available shortly that will fix the issue. This issue also affects the XPRT, it is not limited to the Photon. My semi-educated guess is it is related to some change Motorola made to the dialer app.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Good to know.  I'm pressing my system update button hourly, if not more! 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat