cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Update for the PHOTON 4G (4.5.1A-1_SUN-254_12.Sprint.en.US) (45.4.12.MB855.Sprint.en.US)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Software Update for the PHOTON 4G (4.5.1A-1_SUN-254_12.Sprint.en.US) (45.4.12.MB855.Sprint.en.US)

OFFICIAL LINK: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/82882

A software update for PHOTON 4G by Motorola is now available. The software update PHOTON 4G_MR5 (4.5.1A-1_SUN-254_12.Sprint.en.US) (45.4.12.MB855.Sprint.en.US) should be installed for peak performance.

Who Can Use This Release

ALL Motorola PHOTON 4G users. After downloading and installing the software release, the following enhancements will be included.

Enhancements

ContactsMore easily import contacts from SD card.
Wi-Fi ConnectivityEnhancements for WiFi hotspot in GSM/UMTS mode, adding new WiFi connections.
MusicImproved music playback, both streaming from Amazon Cloud or Internet Radio services and music saved to the phone - minimizes occasional skips or repeats.
CameraNow supports 1080p HD video capture, and enhanced video settings for more responsive playback.
CalendarEasier creating and accepting calendar meeting notices on the phone.

Step-by-Step Instructions

For a successful installation, we recommend installing this update while the battery in your phone is at least 50% charged.

If you have received a notification message for this upgrade:

1. Ensure your phone is connected to the Sprint wireless network or Wi-Fi
  2. Select "Download"
  3. After the software is downloaded, select "Install now"
  4. After the software is installed, your phone will re-start automatically
  5. Your phone is now upgraded with MR5 (4.5.1A-1_SUN-254_12.Sprint.en.US) (45.4.12.MB855.Sprint.en.US) software      

If you have not received a notification message for this upgrade:

1. Select the Settings icon in the main menu
  2. Select "About phone"
  3. Select "System updates"

A message will display the availability of an update. Ensure your phone is connected to the Sprint wireless network or Wi-Fi
  4. Select "Download"
  5. After the software is downloaded, select "Install"
  6. After the software is installed, your phone will re-start automatically
  7. 7. Your phone is now upgraded with MR5 (4.5.1A-1_SUN-254_12.Sprint.en.US) (45.4.12.MB855.Sprint.en.US) software    

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Software Update for the PHOTON 4G (4.5.1A-1_SUN-254_12.Sprint.en.US) (45.4.12.MB855.Sprint.en.US)

Any idea how soon this update will roll out?  I've tried to manually update several times and it tells me it is up to date.  I have checked and the version I have on the phone is the older one.

Journeyman

Re: Software Update for the PHOTON 4G (4.5.1A-1_SUN-254_12.Sprint.en.US) (45.4.12.MB855.Sprint.en.US)

Have you tried calling Motorola technical support?

Highlighted
Journeyman

No I haven't.  It doesn't roll out automatically.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same situation as SEGAR 123. I tried the manual method and nothing shows up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just got online Tech support apparently it is being released in batches my chat with tech support:

A connection to the Chat Server has been established successfully.
Searching for an available agent
You have been re-queued.
You have left the queue. If you still need assistance please try back later.
You have left the queue. We hope you have found what you were looking for.
There are no agents available to chat with you right now. Please try again later.
There are no agents available to chat with you right now. Please try again later.
You have been removed from the queue. Please contact us by email.
You are currently number 1 in the queue.We apologize for the delay. We will assign you to an agent as soon as one is available.The average amount of time a customer has to wait is 00:37.
Don (Listening)
Don: Hi, my name is Don. How may I help you?
Sean Peterson: Trying to update the soft ware for my Motorola PHOTON 4G. I have tried the manual method , yet it says my device is up to date.
Sean Peterson: I still the previous version
Don: I apologize for the inconvenience, I'll do my best to assist you on this.
Don: May I have your phone's serial number and system version?
Sean Peterson: MEID #  system version 45.3.6MB855.Sprint.en.US
Don: Let me check this. One moment, please.
Don: Sean your phone version is up to date: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_detail/a_id/69076/p/30,6720,8063
Sean Peterson: However, the new version is 45.4.12.MB855.Sprint.en.US how can my phone have the latest version? i did not update or download anything?
Don: One moment.
Don: Thank you for holding, my apologies for the delay.
Sean Peterson: No problem....
Don: Sean the 45.4.12.MB855.Sprint.en.US is still on going s=and this is released by batches.
Don: If you have not received a notification message for this upgrade:

Select the Settings icon in the main menu
Select "About phone"
Select "System updates"

A message will display the availability of an update. Ensure your phone is connected to the Sprint wireless network or Wi-Fi

Select "Download"
After the software is downloaded, select "Install"
After the software is installed, your phone will re-start automatically
7. Your phone is now upgraded with MR5 (4.5.1A-1_SUN-254_12.Sprint.en.US) (45.4.12.MB855.Sprint.en.US) software
Sean Peterson: Oh...did not know that...any timetabel as to when these batches will be released?
Don: It was released, and still on going, please do wait for the update.
Sean Peterson: Thank you
Don: Welcome Sean, If you need any more information get in touch. Thanks from Motorola, bye!
Highlighted
Journeyman

Still no update yet.  It's silly to release it in batches and make some of us wait weeks to get it. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have NOT received this update either.  What is the hold up???? 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did a live customer support chat with Motorola about this and they had a tech support person call me up. I asked the tech support person what the deal was and he told me that it was being rolled out by zone to certain areas first, and that I will have to wait for it to become available in my area.

Highlighted
Master

Up dates are released by rolling them out to a set percentage of the user base at one time.  Most  roll  out take from 3-4 weeks. This is to prevent overloading the servers

Highlighted
Journeyman

"Overloading the servers"

I don't buy that worn out old line.  Modern servers can handle that and sort out traffic at peaks.  There should be a simple means to only allow downloads off-peak.

More likely it is so that the customer service lines and stores don't get overrun all at once with customers fighting problems and questioning features.

I have a better plan that would make the entire deploy go more smoothly.

For an ideal deploy, preference sould be given to experienced power users with fast network connections that are motivated to go out and get the downloads themselves via wifi and not drag the wireless networks down.

Let the automated process feed slowly overnights off-peaks later to the people that don't care one way or another and wouldn't know how to deal with a problem if they ran into one.

Let the motivated experienced users be the guinea pigs -they want to be if they go out looking for early updates.  They can communicate the problems and help get the rough edges worn off of tech people before getting to the people that flake out and threaten to leave anytime everything doesn't go just exactly right.

"I have had twenty lines for a dozen years and have never had problems like this".  Every time I see a phrase like that I laugh.  You know instantly they are lying through their teeth.

You couldn't avoid problems with one line for five years unless you had an old low end flip phone and no data service.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Has ANYONE actually received the update yet?  I asked everyone I know who has a Photon (about 5 different users in various locations) and NOBODY has been able to find the new version yet.

I don't buy the excuse about releasing in waves and overloading the servers either.  I have been a phone geek for many years and an active participant on various wireless forums.  When a new firmware version is released it should and as far as I can remember always has been available to everyone at the same time.  I don't think it's fair to make certain users wait weeks or months to get an important update.  If this is in fact the case this time then it is something new that they are doing.  Motorola and Sprint should also make it clear on the release notes posted above (and on Motorola's own forum) that not everyone can get the update.  IMO

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat