cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Update for the PHOTON 4G (4.5.1A-1_SUN-254_12.Sprint.en.US) (45.4.12.MB855.Sprint.en.US)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Software Update for the PHOTON 4G (4.5.1A-1_SUN-254_12.Sprint.en.US) (45.4.12.MB855.Sprint.en.US)

Well it's now been 17 days since Motorola put that firmware release note on their site and to my knowledge not one person has been able to get the update? Either it never really happened or it was pulled down very quickly. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Software Update for the PHOTON 4G (4.5.1A-1_SUN-254_12.Sprint.en.US) (45.4.12.MB855.Sprint.en.US)

I have also been waiting for the update and my phone still says its up to date (showing the older version).  Has anyone heard anything from Motorola? 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have not recieved an update yet either. This is very very poor customer service: to announce a software update and then basically leave customers to twist in the wind with NO COMMUNICATION from Motorola about actual availibilty  is very unprofessional. One can only imagine what we will have to go through when ICS gets rolled in the 4th quarter this year (Motorola's cite from their website)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I knew that it wasn't a case of rolling it out in waves.  Nobdoy has received the update and someone who I suspect works for either Motorola or Sprint had hinted that the update hadn't actually been released to anyone and that it was "in the bathtub soaking" (whatever that means).  It certainly is baffling why they would post the announcement of the availability on their web site (and it's still there right now) without actually having released the update to anyone. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sounds to me like a major flaw found extremely late, in or after the beta test, or with the rollout system.  Soaking may refer to testing.  You soak some materials so you can soften them up to open them up and look inside of them easier.  Don't get yer panties in a bunch if you want reliable software.  If you just want something new, look for the thread that leads to an application into the beta testing program.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the information.  The mobile hotspot is almost unuseable at this point on my phone.  However, I noticed that Sprint does not list the Motorola Photon as a phone that it sells anymore.  Is there a reason for that????? 

Highlighted
Master

Moo1973 wrote:

Thanks for the information.  The mobile hotspot is almost unuseable at this point on my phone.  However, I noticed that Sprint does not list the Motorola Photon as a phone that it sells anymore.  Is there a reason for that?????

The Photon was released July 31st 2011, it is almost a year old, a lifetime in the mobile device industry. It has started to go EOL (End Of Life) and is no longer actively being sold. This is pretty regular, and nothing out of the ordinary.

Journeyman

Should I just get a newer phone with 4G and hotspot capability then since it appears that Sprint may not even support the phone anymore?

Highlighted
Journeyman

that was me but had to delete the post .......the update  is causing moreproblems than inprovements and has not been officaly released yet...if you are a dev or root your phone this update closes all those doors.. it does add 1080vid. iwould not be in any hurry to get this as it is not that

Highlighted
Journeyman

SturgeonGeneral wrote:

Sounds to me like a major flaw found extremely late, in or after the beta test, or with the rollout system.  Soaking may refer to testing.  You soak some materials so you can soften them up to open them up and look inside of them easier.  Don't get yer panties in a bunch if you want reliable software.  If you just want something new, look for the thread that leads to an application into the beta testing program.

Of course I would rather wait and have reliable software but Motorola shouldn't have posted a bulletin about the update telling us it's available when it wasn't ready.  They also have failed to remove that from their web site weeks later.  Why?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Pure speculation, but:

The post is advisory only and not a guarantee.

The flaw was probably found after the post.

If it was the root lock as rumored, then the flaw was probably seen as a feature initially and allowed to go but the backlash was so bad that release had to be stopped.

The deploy is basically automatic and in the grand scheme of things, all it confers on early adopters is bragging rights (bfd) and maybe a little non critical convenience or enhancement.

Removing the post had no value or useful purpose and the manpower was better employed elsewhere.

What have you got?  What useful purpose is there to remove the post other than to soothe some nerves?

Moto's job is to provide a product, not psych treatment.

I suspect they're more concerned about the deploy than the advisory.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So, I did a little research online and it seems like someone figured out a way to manually install the update. You will need Blur_Version.45.3.6.MB855.Sprint.en.US.zip and the link is http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1684683

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat