ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting issues again...is there a resolution??

Highlighted
Journeyman

Texting issues again...is there a resolution??

I know there have been a few discussion threads about this, but I haven't been able to see if this issue has been addressed or not. I am having periods of not receiving text messages; I've had people respond to my texts, yet I don't receive them. The other day I finally got 8 old messages that had been sent in the previous 2 days.

HAS this issue been addressed? Is there something that either Sprint or Motorola have done or an update to get that solves this problem?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Re: Texting issues again...is there a resolution??

I have been experiencing the same problem with the Motorola Photon for several weeks now.  I have not determined the root cause.  It seems like roughly every week, the problem occurs.  When either somebody mentions that I never responded to a text or I realize I'm not getting messages, I restart the device and the text messages start to catch up, but the problem is unacceptable.

When I first got the Photon, I had problems on the first or second day with text messages that Sprint explained to be related to my Airvana Airave.  I wonder if the Airave is responsible for this new problem.  Do you also have an Airave?  If so, is it the Samsung version or the Airvana version?

Journeyman

I'm experiencing this as well on and off every few days.  I'd rather sprint send me a different phone, I'm fed up with this if it is infact a phone problem.

Journeyman

Likewise my phone does the same thing ever since I got it.

More than 1/3 of incoming CALLS show no sign of phone activity.

Callers say my phone goes to vmail, and I never heard or saw any sign of activity until a restart, then all the 'missed' calls and vmails come in at once.

SPRINT better fix this soon or this phone will be returned to them.

Journeyman

Ooops: same prob with texts also: DAYS late transmission receipt!

SPRINT, FIX THIS!

Journeyman

I have had this same problem since I got my phone last August.  Sprint has been no help at all, and has been VERY quiet and unresponsive.  Translation: they know that this is a hardware problem.  Seriously, the only thing that works is to turn the phone completely off, and reboot it... and frequently!  That says to me that something is locking up, and won't unlock until you reboot.  Sprint doesn't want to have to swap out every single Photon that they have sold.  It's dollars and cents to them: it will cost more to replace crappy hardware, than to let people fumble along until they get fed up enough to buy a new phone.  It would be really nice if Sprint cared about taking care of the purchasers of this problematic phone, half as much as they care about the money they get from us every month.

Thank GOD I have one last "yearly upgrade" to use before they kill off their Sprint Premiere program!  If I can hold out until August, I can finally ditch this twitchy, poorly designed mess of a phone, for a new HTC EVO 4G.  I'm definitely never going to buy a Motorola phone again...

Journeyman

I'd like to chime in on this broken record. I've spent hours and hours on the phone with Sprint's "customer service" and "trouble Shooting" where I keep getting told to restart my phone, and essentially, to pray for rain. I'm at the point now that I'm going to make a stink to get out of my contract or allow me to switch phones for free because they have had 7 months to fix this issue. I've never had this problem with other networks, and frankly, this is a major problem and Sprint does not take it seriously.I'm tired of getting screwed by this problem.

Journeyman

patmc4fun wrote:

I have had this same problem since I got my phone last August.  Sprint has been no help at all, and has been VERY quiet and unresponsive.  Translation: they know that this is a hardware problem.  Seriously, the only thing that works is to turn the phone completely off, and reboot it... and frequently!  That says to me that something is locking up, and won't unlock until you reboot.  Sprint doesn't want to have to swap out every single Photon that they have sold.  It's dollars and cents to them: it will cost more to replace crappy hardware, than to let people fumble along until they get fed up enough to buy a new phone.  It would be really nice if Sprint cared about taking care of the purchasers of this problematic phone, half as much as they care about the money they get from us every month.

If your description of the symptoms is accurate and it really works for any amount of time after you reboot the phone, then it is a SOFTWARE issue.

You even said that yourself.

You have software (add-on from default) that is blocking, or more likely crashing, the text messaging subroutines.

At reboot, the software is restarted and logically works fine -until the other software is run again and crashes out the texting routines.

They won't have to "swap out every single phone sold" because mine -like most others, works flawlessly.

You need to start studying the software that you have installed into the phone and troubleshooting what is the app running about the time you lose text service.  That will likely be the one to blame.

Sprint can't do that remotely.  It has to be done from the phone itself by someone with a logical and technical mind.  Find a smart-phone geeky friend and set them loose on the phone for a few hours or find a good Sprint tech (not just a salesperson).

It may take 15 minutes to figure out, or it make take hours - depends on what software you have installed and how the symptoms manifest themselves.

Journeyman

Same issue here since Ive had the phone last year.  Have to turn off phone nightly but even then, I still have issues.  Husband has same phone and he doesn't have these issues.  I am getting another error which I don't know if it's related (some registration error...can't give you full error cuz my phone won't boot up now due to recent update).

Journeyman

I've called about 6 times on this issue and all they want to do is send me out a replacement phone, i just want a new phone but that isn't possible acorrding to the supervisor at billing since im about to the point of terminating my contract! Why should i have to wait for text messages? It makes people think that im rude and that they don't matter.

Journeyman

Hello,

Like you, I have had this problem of not receiving text msgs, and receiving them once I leave my home area, off and on for a few years.  As stated, when I left my home area, my texts worked beautifully.  I want to comment here, contrary to the reply placed here by SurgeonGeneral, it is NOT a cut and dry issue, it is NOT obvious (another word used ad nauseum as is "whatever", and incorrect in perspective), and it is NOT always software.  Case in point, I tried to resolve this issue, until I was at my wits end.  To enlighten you on the status on my Photon, I had not installed any other app in that I had not had time to do so with my schedule.  I contacted Sprint, and as has been stated in most issues, you get the canned "we appreciate your business", but a soft pedal and likewise canned response to the issue.  Yet, one day I called, and after explaining quite firmly all I had already done on this issue, I was transferred immediately to their tech support.  Again one must re-authenticate oneself all over again (to bad they can't simply transfer the call as well as the permissions), and explain the problem all over again, I was finally enlightened to an issue:  the tower in my area was being upgraded, and was not functioning at normal capacity.  Of course, I asked how long this might take, and what the estimated time of completion might be.  While I was given a date in the future, once this date came and went, the problem persisted.  Another call to Sprint only gave another date in the future, and so on.  This scenario repeated itself until one day, out of the blue, I had full bars and the repeating texts and no text problem stopped.  Calling Sprint revealed the tower maintenance had been completed. 

A year later, again the problem returned.  The exact same issues started again. Calling Sprint resulted in the same scenario.  After calling them with each estimated time of completion, the customer service rep I was working with suggested the use of an AirRave.  I'm sure you might have heard of this, but if not, this is a piece of equipment by Sprint which functions like sort of a router.  It connects to your broadband Internet, and it acts as a home cell phone tower to route your calls.  Once I received it and had it up and running, I once again had full bars indicating a good signal connection, and all things effected began working as it should.  Yet, there was a period whereby my texts would start repeating themselves now and then, though I did receive my texts; no more bottlenecking.  After speaking with Sprint again, and this after researching online as I always do beforehand, it turns out most report this to be typical and it would stop after a bit of time.  This turned out to be true.  I had great service at home, and I must also add, I had long since installed a few apps, to include GoSMS; before this I was using Handcent.

From time to time, I disconnect the AirRave to see if the tower in my area has improved it's service, and it had.  For 7 months I used my cell with normal tower reception, and I had to return to the AirRave.  This time the customer service agent told me the estimated time to completion was 2.5 weeks from when I called.  This was in early July of this year, 2013.  I was receiving no bars, and at times one small bar.  My text problem returned.  Of course, I returned to the AirRave, and I've had no problems since.  From my online research on this, there seems to be quite a few people who are waiting on this piece of equipment.  Sprint readily admits they never seem to have enough, and they also are encouraging users for patience as their own towers complete maintenance.  To use that canned and abused word again, "obviously" this does make good sense.

So, in closing, "no", one does not have to switch phones or return for a replacement because of this issue.  It is NOT a flat out software/app issue as suggested.  Nothing is all together a pat reason for this problem.  I will also reiterate the fact of my experiences with Sprint being not so great at times in the 12+ years I have been with them, but overall they have indeed helped me out on several fronts.  I do hope my telling of my experiences helps someone have an "ah-ha" moment of their own.

Journeyman

I finally got a resolution for myself!!!!  As I mentioned previously, I have an Airave in my home.  After trying to get the PRL and Profile updates to work several times, I decided to try one last time before driving over to the Sprint tech guys.  I turned the Airave off to see if I had better luck with the tower signal, even though I only got either grayed bars, or a single bar with regard to signal strength.  After two (2) attempts, it finally updated both.  I almost broke it from my ecstatic cartwheels :-).  I then tried to send texts, but this time I couldn't because of all the incoming texts since 0846 this morning.  Once finished, I successfully sent texts.  So far, I don't even get duplicates!!!  The signal strength reports 3 bars as opposed to nothing.  I plugged my Airave back in, and so far so good.  Bravo!!!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat