cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to silence Motorola Photon camera shutter

Journeyman

Love the Photon, but the camera shutter is so loud and annoying!  So far, nobody has described a good way to silence it short of rooting the phone or installing an app that is not listed on the Android Marketplace.  On the Motorola support page you can find a Forum Manager who states that an audible camera shutter is required by Sprint.

Does anybody know if this is really true?  I am doubtful, because I just upgraded from a Sprint EVO 4G, and it was very easy to silence the camera shutter on that phone.

I am very disappointed that the Photon camera shutter cannot be silenced, and I hope Motorola works with Sprint to address this in an upcoming software update in the next few weeks.  As you have been reading, there are many users who want this silencing feature.  I cannot help to think that all these posts may hurt the Photon's sales if this camera shutter is not silenced soon.

Otherwise, a great phone.

7 REPLIES 7
Master

I have tried Camera Fun Free, Pro Paint Camera, Sca Light, and the default Camera and none of them were able to silence the shutter sound.  Even when the application lets you disable the shutter sound...it still makes a loud SNAP. 

I apologize that there appears to be no way to disable the sound.  Hopefully that feature will be added in a future software update.

Thanks

-John

Master

Found a way here - https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/443424

Re: Photon: Camera Shutter Sound - Loud and on even in Silent mode

I've posted the source code and APK here:

https://sites.google.com/site/enforcedstreamsilencer/

To use it:

* download the APK to your phone

* browse to the file with the "Files" application

* enable "Unknown Sources" in Application Settings (which you are prompted to do if you try to open it from Files app

* open the app and check the checkbox

Then you can test the stock Camera app and you shouldn't have the Click anymore.

Hope that helps.

Master

Please keep in mind that application installs that are not from the Android Market can carry an inherant risk of causing conflicts or other problems.

Thanks

-John

Master

As can applications installed from the market and/or Sprint/manufacture pushed updates. So?

Journeyman

I use silentsnapfree from the android market, and works - uses the default camera app (all settings available), but without sound.

Sprint Employee

You may also consider something like Volume Control+ which is free from the market, you can set system volume to 0, system volume typically is for the camera shutter, service tones.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Downloaded SilentSnap....works on my photon. Sometimes asks you if you want to take another picture but that's no biggie. I also kept the camera widget on the screen as well. I use the silent snap for appropriate situations....otherwise I use the default camera app.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat