Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on Photon Silent Calls and Lockup Issues

Journeyman

Update on Photon Silent Calls and Lockup Issues

My first Photon had a couple of issues...

-Inability to answer calls as the phone would lock up

-Phone seemingly shutting off

-15-20 second delays at times when making a call for the dialer to actually dial, no matter how strong the signal

-"Silent calls" where I couldn't hear the person I was speaking to although at times they could hear me.

Replaced the phone yesterday and so far none of tha bove but rather a new issue. As I sit here where my past phones have had full signal, this one goes from full to none and just sits there bouncing back and forth. Additionally, the WIFI, even sitting right next to my router shows at most low level signal whereas every android phone I've owned, including the last Photon had great WIFI reception.

Why, why, why, can't companies really check these darned things out rather than having us spend our time and frustration beta testing them for free???

31 REPLIES 31
Journeyman

Thanks for the tip, but no dice. This latest device has been in Performance Mode through both shutdowns.

Journeyman

Thanks jfenton1957 for bringing this to light.

In a sense I'm glad I'm not the only one thats been experiencing these issues too.  Hopefully Moto and Sprint can get a handle on whats causing this and release a hot fix to resolve this soon.

Journeyman

This is becoming quite the deal breaker for me for this device.    I love it.   I really do.   But having to reboot my phone 50% of the time in order to hear incoming/outgoing calls is a bit regoddamndiculous.  Its not getting better.. its getting worse.

Journeyman

Actually there has been an update from MR-3 from XDA.  Apparently there is a newer build of the maintenance release with a number 5 at the end.  Not sure if they are calling this MR-5 since the "Build Number" doesn't state "MR-5".  Either way if you are interested, you should flash to the latest MR release found in the Xda link below.  Hopefully this latest MR build fixes most of the issues with the phone especially the audio (silent receiving/placing calls) /bluetooth issues.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1202666

Journeyman

I had posted a few days ago when I actually had a photon.  I've had 2 photons and yesterday took that back also.  How can you have a phone that doesn't make calls?  Irony.  So I'm completely content with my EVO 3D.  It's a sweet phone and since I was rocking the EVO 4g it was a seemless transition.  The customization with the EVO 3D is awesome and I've found better reception that the Photon where I live.  Good luck folks.  I couldn't wait for an update since I'm a heavy voice user

Journeyman

Well, I just wanted to chime in and note that my issue was in fact a  hardware issue and not a software one.  On Friday I approached the  Sprint service center where I purchased the phone and they immediately  swapped out the phone for a brand new one (no questions asked) with the  exception that they needed all the original packaging plus the  transaction receipt.  While I was waiting for them to activate the new  replacement phone, I had a quick chat with the service tech and he did  mention that there was a hardware issue with a certain batch of launch  phones that were delivered.  Needless to say the phone has been up and  operational for well over 80 hours with no issues what so ever.  I am  happy to say that I am glad that I ditched the Palm Pre and made the  switch to the Motorola Photon.  The phone works exceptionally well and  the battery life is great!  I've never had a smart phone last more that 2  days and under moderate use, but this one does!

Journeyman

So, the "silent calls" is a hardware issue? I'm on the the 2nd Photon and it's having the same issue and having the silent call issue. However, today, I had to restart my phone twice since I had a 2nd occurance today. If it's a hardware issue, then I will be switching to a 3rd Photon. I love the feel of this phone (and the glass screen) so that's why I'm "enduring" the issue for now. (I never had the random reboot issues or phone locking).

UPDATE: while on the Motorola support forum last night:

POSTED 8/15/11. It appears to be working. For me, in the thread, prior to this clear cache app, I read one person removed the social networking widgets that are preinstalled and only uses the Facebook app. I just did the same late last night with the widgets and have not rebooted for 24 hours (the actually audio continues to patch through now - we can hear one another). If the audio issue part of the calls restart, I'll go for the "clean cache" app as it seems to be working.

All:

A user on the XPRT forums  (daviswh2394), who faced the same "no audio" issue has reported that  installation and use of this app has cleared his/her no audio problem. (NOTE: App is free)

https://market.android.com/details?id=mobi.infolife.cache&hl=en

In  settings, this app allows you to automatically clear the cache on a set  interval.  The XPRT user reported setting the auto clear to every hour  or so made the no audio problem disappear.

Since the app is free, I would  imagine it is worth a try for everyone that is experiencing the no audio  issue.

To  read @daviswh2394's post, see:  https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/447613#447613 (go to page 15)

Message was edited by: TAMMY7743

Journeyman

yea my photon is having the silent call "ghost call" issue. Its the only issue with it that i have experienced. So this upcoming update will address the issue?..Will your phone automatically apply this update? How long before its officially released?

Journeyman

I have to wonder why Sprint is holding up the release of the update to fix the Silent Call issue when they have had that update in their hands since before the release of this phone. I updated to 45.2.5 without issue and now the silent call issue is gone. See http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1202666.

Journeyman

Because the leaked MR doesn't fix the silent call issue.....trust me. If you haven't had one yet, you will....

Journeyman

jayfitt wrote:

Because the leaked MR doesn't fix the silent call issue.....trust me. If you haven't had one yet, you will....

I'm almost at a week with MR5, and I have yet to have the silent call issue return..

It seems mixed.  Wondering if there is an automatic reboot app in the market for those still with the problem on MR5 that they can use to reboot automatically at a scheduled time each time (like 4 AM or something)

Journeyman

Same here. No silent calls since installing this MR on 8/11. At least one per day before...

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat