cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the Photon get Ice Cream Sandwhich?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Will the Photon get Ice Cream Sandwhich?

If so can you say about when?

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Journeyman

I had the same exact question.  I certainly hope so since the phone is only 2.5 months old.  I asked Moto_Mark about it on a different forum, so hopefully, he'll get back to us.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It shouldn't be "will" the photon get ICS, it should be "when" will the photon get Ice Cream Sandwich...

Come on Sprint let's hear it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I engaged a Moto rep. No ICS for Phton 4G 😞

Screen Shot 2011-10-25 at 1.52.47 PM.png

Highlighted
Journeyman

@agonzalez1078, thanks for the follow up. 

Based on the chat info, I wouldn't say Photon is out of luck yet (unless there's more to the conversation we're not seeing).  The rep just confirmed what Motorola published to the world.  The Bionic and Razr have been confirmed for ICS, but that does not mean Photon will never get it.

It may take more than 6 weeks after the code share to get to Photon, but I give it a 75% chance that our beloved Photon will get ICS too.  Let's cross our fingers.

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-twitter-says-razr-bionic-and-xoom-will-get-ice-cream-sandwich...

Highlighted
Wizard

I am surprised to see that a phone that just came out less than 3 months, we have to stay here and cross our fingers.

It's up to Sprint/Motorola to update.

Motorola announced only big red phones. Why? I would say because they don't get any pressure from Sprint management.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@agonzalez1078   At the time of that chat with that person they where making a guess. because at that point motorola really hadnt said which phones would or would not get it. also it says the droid razr. until early november verizon wireless nor motorola had rly talked about the razr it was still just getting rdy to come out. the razr didnt come out till 11/11/11 and the person from motorola u talked to must have been pretty stupid or brave to say that because theres no way motorola even knew yet if it was going to do ics on that phone.

@Torisen Its still unknown when or if the photon will get it. I can say we most likely wont find out for sure Yes OR No until March or april. and if motorola moves slowly possibly june. All phones after september will get that update first and be comfired after all thoughs phones have been delt with then they will say which phones next will get it if any further back phones will get it. I would for my best guess say the motorola photon would get it. Its motorolas best selling and highest end phone on the Sprint network. And if they vaule there bussines with sprint they will give the phone the update so that if motorla puts another high end phone on sprint people will get it trusting the motorola brand. if moto dosnt give the phone the update then likely sprint will get lots of complaints.
THE ONLY thing making me think the phone WOULD NOT get it is because of sprint taken on the iphone. When sprint agreeed with apple sprint agreed to sell so many iphones a month or be forced to pay apple money every time they missed a dead line to have sold so many phones. this means sprint will have to put ALL its focus on the iphone and promote it as highly as possillble and sell as many as possible. for us android users we will most likely for a long time not see any truely high end or flag ship android phones. :[but with this being said if motorola see's it as being pointless to give the phone the update knowing sprint from now on will be all iphone motorola may just say screw it. but we will seee.
but i have no problem saying Sprit has made its biggest mistake ever by taken on the iphone. if some will pay the price for the iphone they will most likely bbe with at&t becasue there iphone 4S supports there lower end 4g network. and others will go to Verizon for the faster 3G and better coverage and support. sprint only has unlimited data but many compalints of the iphone running shitty on the sprint network have come out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@agonalez, we finally have our answer.  Yes, Photon WILL get ICS this year (July - Sept).  Here's the article for your confirmation.  https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

Highlighted
Journeyman

If I recall correctly, the phones initally getting ICS were Verizon based. Once you realize that.. you then figure its a timed exclusive. (which I think is inherently stupid, but that's another debate) Q3 for us!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello my name is Veronica i am a Photon user and I LOVE my phone I did the research and if you look at http://motorola.comyou will see that they say CLEARLY THAT THE MOTOROLA PHOTON IN THE USA WILL BE RECIEVING THE 4.0 ICS UPDATEWILL BEGAN ROLLING OUT IN Q4 2012 now when Q4 is idk but if you pay close attention to your phone you will notice when it starts to recieve updates like it will choke on certain things you do and then a few weeks later or have current updates that are ready to update but dont have them on auto update I do believe that it is in Process of rolling out now though.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The exact and direct link to the motorola list is:

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

4th quarter (of the year) is sometime in the last three months of the 12 month year.

1st:

Jan

Feb

March

2nd:

April

May

June

3rd:

July

August

September

4th:

October

November

December

That being said, there are other devices on the table listed that are in the process of being updated.  MoPho is in line behind those for the resources required to accomplish the deploy.  Programmers, testers, data servers, and the like.

Delays in other devices prioritized above Photon in the list cause delays downstream.

Judging from past experience, I wouldn't expect deploy before December, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a delay into next year once they find themselves slipping into the holidays.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat