cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what to do with the phone/battery getting too hot?

Highlighted
Patron

what to do with the phone/battery getting too hot?

Got my Photon around end of Feb or first of Mar 2012, off and on the phone/battery would get very warm for a little while the go back to normal.  Since the phone update, the phone/battery gets very hot and drains the battery.  Have taken to Sprint store twice, battery checked and no problem found with it nor problems reported similiar to mine.

Since the update, some google apps start themselves, I check periodically and use the task manager to end apps.  Have removed Facebook from the phone, went ahead and added google+ since it would not stop self starting removed updates from playstore since it too would self start, not running 4g, have checked to see what is using battery and idle phone is around 51%...not streaming anything, signal is good on 3g and on night saving. I can feel the heat through my purse, check my phone and battery is drained.  Since Sprint says there isn't a problem, I began searching the internet and find there are others having the same issues.  What is a work around/fix that anyone has found?  I just want my phone to work and not lie dead.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Journeyman

Try a different battery use profile:

From the home screen:

MENU button (bottom left of phone)

SETTINGS

BATTERY & Data Manager

Battery Mode

Maximum battery saver

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/69084/~/photon-4g--battery-manag...

Part of it is probably that your phone is in your purse where it doesn't get a clean signal.  When it gets a weak signal, it cranks up the power level on the transmitter/receivers that it is using to talk to the towers.

That takes more power, which generates more heat and battery drain.

Highlighted
Patron

Thank you for your suggestion and your reply, I have changed my battery to maximum battery saver.  And yes, I thought my purse was part of the problem as well as the Otter case - I removed the case and now carry my phone and at this moment, I have full bars and a hot phone.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello JBEVEL926, which types of email, and sync accounts do you have setup? Which features of the phone do you leave on while they are not being used (GPS, Bluetooth, Etc.)?

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Patron

I have 4g, bluetooth, gps, wifi, etc turned off unless I plan on using them - have uninstalled skype, facebook and any google app that will allow.  Have Yahoo, Gmail and Hotmail and set to sync every 10 min, Gmail is for work. I've checked the no running in background and turn off the phone at least once a day hoping to reset if something is running that I can't find.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

your email accounts are perhaps one of the most likely reasons for a shortened battery life. Gmail constantly pushing messages would not be a problem if running something like Juice defender. for any POP/IMAP email accounts I would suggest temporarily setting them to not auto poll, at least for a while to see how much it's affecting battery life. do you have your hotmail setup as POP, or Exchange?

Highlighted
Patron

Hotmail is set as pop - yahoo wants to run in the background but I won't turn run in the background back on. Google is set for 10 min sync.  Since the update of the phone, google+ maps and books as well as bluetoothdun start on their own, I kill the screen everytime I finish with a phone call, email, etc.and go to task manager to see what is running when the phone feels hot....usually a google app.  Prior to the update, the phone would get warm and the battery would not drain so quickly.  This may have nothing to do with the update and just a coincendence that imy issues with the phone started after the update. 

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Well, You will have additional functionality if you setup Hotmail as exchange (you can sync tasks, mail, contacts, and Calendar. ( to setup select EAS/Exchange, setup manually with username = hotmail email address, and server is m.hotmail.com, and you can enable SSL) since you say yahoo's trying to run in the background have you installed the Yahoo! app, or are you using the standard mail app as POP or IMAP? how do you have Gmail set to anything but autosync? Which items are checked in menu > settings > accounts> gmail? Instead of removing, disabling, or killing apps with task manager, have you tried using the back arrow to exit apps, or select menu > exit where the option exists? Where do you see an option to set the sync frequency to 10 minutes for Gmail?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Another possibility is that you have an application locking up or two conflicting and running the processor at 100% in an endless loop.  Something like that doesn't always display as battery drain attributed to a specific process because the processor is confused and doesn't know what to do.

Fortunately, if the phone sits idle for something like 2-5 minutes in battery saver mode, the offending app gets killed with all the other stuff that is taken offline to go into low power idle mode.

App crashes are about impossible to track down because of the endless combinations of applications reacting with eachother, or even a single program's potential number of program subroutines that could cause it to crash.

Most users don't have the patience to operate their phone in painful slow motion to see if they can figure out what application might be reacting with another.  You have to do something, wait five minutes to see if there is any indication of a problem, do something else, wait five more minutes, etc etc.

Pulling the battery and holding the power button for 15 seconds (trying to turn it "on" with no battery) in an effort to drain the capacitors should give you as clean of a start as you can get, but that is a major inconvenience to do on a regular basis.

Used just as a test though, if the phone starts back up and goes right back to heating, then you're likely having poor signal issues or maybe have a potentially bad phone with any number of possible internal problems.

Highlighted
Patron

After following your suggestions, "phone Idle" went to 12% usage and "display" went to 51% (of course I'm using the display so I expect it to be higher).  Changed the display settings to auto brightness and disabled all other settings but the auto rotate.  Changes all other settings for the best possible usage of battery and have for the last month practically worn out the task manager.  Since I have followed your suggestions, my phone is warm at times but not hot and I've only had to charge it twice today which is exception. Thanks very much for your help, I'll see how things go and if continues, I'll head back to the Sprint store (unfortunately they weren't busy the two times I was in to see about my phone and they didn't note on my account of the issues, so we shall see).  I do like the possibilities this phone has, just would like to have full benefit of them.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat