cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4/25 - Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE Software Update - Android 4.1 (Jellybean) - 9.8.2Q-122_XT897_FFW-5

Journeyman

Re: 4/25 - Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE Software Update - Android 4.1 (Jellybean) - 9.8.2Q-122_XT897_FFW-5

It's all over the Motorola site that the upgrade had been released 11 days ago. Sprint says the software should be out to everyone by Thursday. The net is silent from Photon Q users that got the upgrade, only a repeated news release. Why doesn't Sprint speak out if they are having problems?

Journeyman

Re: 4/25 - Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE Software Update - Android 4.1 (Jellybean) - 9.8.2Q-122_XT897_FFW-5

I spoke to a Sprint support rep and was told that it is pushed out by Motorola. I would have thought it was pushed out by Sprint.

She said that it should be received some time in May. I guess we potentially have up to 25 days to wait.

Journeyman

ok, people over in the XDA forums are finally starting to report getting the update. it seems as if perhaps it didn't start rolling out until today? still nothing here, but maybe it is rolling out gradually..

Journeyman

Sprint where is this damn update for real. Why is this taking so long.

Journeyman

Did not install correctly according to Sprint Rep. Now all my data is lost and the phone is in power cycle mode. Rep was not even able to reflash but wants me to pay $50 for something they need to own up to.

Journeyman

Of course some of the updates are great.  But there was nothing wrong with the notifications... The new "Notification enhancements" they added are completely annoying.  Now even if I turn off all notifications and sounds it still vibrates every time I get a message/update.  How is that an enhancement??  And why not give us the option to turn off the vibrate???   Would go back to the old version if I could.

Journeyman

Just got the update at about 8:00 PM New York Time, I live in Maryland if it helps. Screenshot_2013-05-07-20-25-59.png

Journeyman

Installed it tonight with no issues.

So far so good. Not a major difference from ICS. It seems smoother and the pictures seem sharper.

Journeyman

Yeah, I finally got it.  It has some nice features.

Journeyman

Now that I've had jelly bean for a few days I have amended my opinion on it a little... well a lot. I don't like most of it. Videos load faster from websites and it is generally much smoother and faster. And that is about it for the good stuff.

On to the bad...

No more speed dial. I can't assign phone contacts to numbers on the keypad anymore, and that was the way I made 80% of my calls. I used to just swipe up to the phone keypad and push a button, no going through screens or scrolling down contacts or favorites. Just a couple of actions and the phone's dialing. I sometimes work in noisy environments and voice dialing is out of the question. It was so easy for work too because I used to put current clients as speed dial locations on the keypad. Why this was removed is beyond me. I know smart phones do way more than make calls, but don't make it harder to dial someone.

I don't know if they tweaked this in jelly bean or not, but my signal meter hasn't been full since the update. I used to have 4 bars at my house, but now as I'm typing this I have 2 which sometimes goes up to 3, but never 4. And I can't get consistent LTE inside a building at all. I know it hasn't officially launched in my city, but many areas are up and running but it's like I have to be standing next to the tower to get a 4g signal.

The new standard browser is nicer than before except that on the menu there is no longer a 'homepage' button. So you have to launch a new window or go to bookmarks to back to Google instead of just pushing home from the page you're on. It's a minor quibble, but another example of this update 'fixing' things that were completely not broken.

Some apps just do what in the heck they want to do instead of what you want them to do. I was on the road this weekend going to New Orleans and my brother wanted to watch the NBA games Friday. I have both unlimited data and Sprint TV with live broadcasts of NBA games because of Sprint's NBA sponsorship. It sounds like a match made in heaven, except that the Sprint TV app crashed to black about once a minute. Even when the game was playing perfectly fine the screen would just sometimes go to sleep screen mode. My brother doesn't even have an android phone, but during the game he got very good at navigating from the home screen to the apps so he could restart Sprint TV.

I don't really know who to complain to about these issues and I don't know if the powers that be are going to fix my complaints or anyone else's. All I know is that if the Motorola Phonton Q had come with this jacked up operating system I never would have bought in the first place.

Message was edited by: Odin029

Journeyman

Got my update last night 5/7/12. I noticed a significant increase in speed and love the Google Now application.

Journeyman

I lost the flick options on my bottom tool bar, anyone else having this problem?

Community News

Please help us to keep our Community a positive laughing and helpful innocent space for all members cool.
Be sure to read our Rules & Guidelines and if you have any concerns surprised just send a private sealed message to @Seawolf or @A11ey, and we'll check it out!