cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4/25 - Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE Software Update - Android 4.1 (Jellybean) - 9.8.2Q-122_XT897_FFW-5

Journeyman

Re: 4/25 - Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE Software Update - Android 4.1 (Jellybean) - 9.8.2Q-122_XT897_FFW-5

THIS IS WHAT I AM NOT WILLING TO DO FOR MOTOROLA'S ERROR!

THEY SHOULD HAVE TO REIMBURSE ALL OF US WHO HAVE BEEN AFFECTED BY THIS MASSIVE ROLLOUT OF A DEFECTIVE SYSTEM UPDATE!

Journeyman

Re: 4/25 - Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE Software Update - Android 4.1 (Jellybean) - 9.8.2Q-122_XT897_FFW-5

PEOPLE WANTING THE UPDATE SO BAD FORCED MOTOROLA AND SPRINT TO ROLLOUT THE UPDATE WITHOUT THOROUGHLY TESTING IT IN EVERY WAY, BECAUSE I KEEP GETTING A "UPDATE PROFILE" MESSAGE TWO TO THREE TIMES A DAY EVERY SINCE AND IT HAS LOCKED-UP MOST OF MY IMPORTANT APPS AND BASIC PHONE FUNCTIONS, SUCH AS MY MEDIA MANAGER THAT COMES WITH THE PHONE.

SOMEONE OWES ME SOME REIMBURSEMENT OVER AT EITHER SPRINT OR MOTOROLA..

Journeyman

Well it sure screwed up my wife's phone! As a busy working mom and team mom to one of our kids sports teams, email and group text was a key.  Well, they are gone!  The groups she has set up on her phone are showing, but the phone does not recognize the group name when you try to text or e-mail. I'm a new customer to Sprint (yes BIG mistake), but this is one more f----ing reason to get the hell off of Sprint as soon as I can.

Journeyman

got update three days ago. not a fan.

lot's of changes are great, many processes run faster, etc etc. but not worth the headache at all.

you could've kept your google npw as far as i'm concerned. i hate that if im scrolling now and i start with my finger too far down the page it pulls up google now, but that's seconday to the keyboard and overall signal issues. im getts about 1 out of every ten calls and texts no matter how strong tne signal is. people leave voicemails and they dont show up ever. occasionally calls will ring trhough or ill get a text, and i can make calls and use data...but this is damn crazy, the main reason i have a phone is to talk to people. family and friends are using facebook-which, by the way, freezes like on a compuger all the time now and never once froze-or yahoo to get ahold of me.

the keybord is jacked. digital keyboard spaces ane backpaces and jumpd around like it's posessed sometimes, but the physical keyboard is only half usble. as you can telfl by my post, the caps lock key and the shift key doooo noooot woooork. at all.

i cannot type numbers or symbols unless i pull down the phantom typing digital one and this happens on 90 percent of apps. sometimes the shift key works but even then sh-t is wrong1..on the rare occasion shift key will work normally, it creates numbers and symbols fine for everything except two the semicolon and the colon. now, shift makes html brackets...the greater than less than symboles, i cant get to my symbols menu either, this is so much fun i can hardly stand it. it does that for anything, on apps and websites and if im typing the name of a sub folder or writing a text message...the colon and semi colon are no longer available.

i could go on but i wont. theres a bunch more little things, stuff that force closes and having to press two or three buttons where there used to be one and no longer storing any typed content for programs in the 'recently viewed bar'.

lemme sitch to the haunted keyboard becuase this needs caps.FIX IT. let us revert back kf we want so those of us that had the update jack up out phones can have a working os. I WOULD TAKE FROYO OVR THIS AND BE HAPPY AS A CLAM.

...A CLAM WITH A PHONE THAT GOT CALLS AND A KEYBOARD THAT TYPED THINGS. doesn't take much  guys....capital letters. numbers and symbols. not freaking out everyone i know by not returning any of their calls and texts for two days since i never got them in the first place to return then. actually getting voicemails in the voicemail box. semicolons....i know motorola build the update and tests some, but isnt it sprints job o make sure that will all ibe well witha particular device on their particular network/ /

i cant be the only one from 'smartphone' to 'paper weight with games, camera and freezy facebook.  people need to have a comin' to jesus meeting, or whatever diety they choose, and figure out why so ma y people-a couple in this forum already- had awesome phones and now have a pet rock that lights up.

Journeyman

Having the same problems - lost the widget-like capability of the Text and Calendar app icons on the bottom.

Journeyman

I like the look of Jelly Bean but reliability has not been good. The phone has re-booted a number of times since the upgrade. There is no indication that the phone is dead until you try to turn it on. Nothing happens when you press the power button. After a minute or so its re-boots. I don't know how many calls or texts I may have missed because the phone was not working properly. I had very few reliability issues before the upgrade.

Journeyman

I am in no way denying the problems caused by this update, but, for what it's worth, the update functions flawlessly on my Photon and adds functionality quite nicely.

Journeyman

This post has been updated with a fix:

Original post: This Jelly Bean update did not affect the function of the physical keyboard on my  Motorola Photon 4Q LTE for about 5 days, but now I have some failures that others are reporting. These are NOT occurring for my wife with the same phone updated to JB the same day. In those days I added two apps that she does not have: Hootsuite for Twitter and Dropbox for Android. Could either of them have changed a setting that (1) disabled the 'Shift' key during Text Messaging using supplied texting app, and (2) changed the semicolon and colon keys to '>' and '<' during all other typing functions?

Update: I resolved the problems with my physical keyboard on the Photon Q with the Jelly Bean update. As suggested by other internet message boards, these two manuevers did the trick for me:

1. Shift Key fix: HOLD the Shift key and type one letter. Not only did that letter appear upper case, but subsequently I could use the Shift key in the normal fashion to press-and-release before pressing a letter key to get upper case or another key to get punctuation.

2. '>' and '<' keys fix: After completing the Shift Key fix, I went to Settings / Language & Input / Physical Keyboard. There my keyboard was designated as "keypad_8960" (not sure that matters) with a language indicated as "English (US)." I went into the keyboard setting to UNcheck the language setting, and the language indication changed to "Default."

Your results may differ, but I hope many people find this simple fix works for them. The keyboard has not failed in a few days since making these changes.

-DougInNC

Message was edited by: DougInNC

Journeyman

Yes. Everything here is pretty accurate to my experience.

Are you getting the auto "correct" glitch that happens when you try to backspace,too,?

like check this shit out! I amdarkness!ess

WHAT THE HELL IS THI plan have a real phone that works now? I am an adult. I need a big kid phone plz. :/ T

can i

you know.... i will just leave this here as it....

Journeyman

Yes there are a few annoying things about the update but messing up the hardware keyboard is inexcusable considering it's THE REASON WE BOUGHT THE PHONE. Now you have to hold down shift to capitalize a letter....and good luck hitting the exclamation point without dropping the phone....you have to remove your right hand from the right side, go all the way to the left, and hit ! while you're holding shift with your left thumb.

What's almost as annoying.....how are we supposed to check out these Google voice search features when they've REMOVED the microphone icon from the onscreen keyboard???? (right along with that, now it's impossible to get the onscreen keyboard if you have the slider keyboard opened. Yes I realize it might be illogical that I want to do that, but sometimes I do)

Journeyman

Re: 4/25 - Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE Software Update - Android 4.1 (Jellybean) -  9.8.2Q-122_XT897_FFW-5

have the same keyboard problem as well.  shift key is working about 50% of the time on mine.  getting annoying; since I bought the phone so I could be able to right longer emails.

Journeyman

For those having the problem where it just continuously reboots, you might find this is because it is no longer charging through the USB port.  I had the same problem until I charged it with a wall charger.  I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to charge through USB and it won't attach as mass storage.  Tried updating Motorola Device manager, going into debug mode and back out, many reboots, different USB ports etc, but this feature appears to have been lost completely.  Very upset.

Community News

Please help us to keep our Community a positive laughing and helpful innocent space for all members cool.
Be sure to read our Rules & Guidelines and if you have any concerns surprised just send a private sealed message to @Seawolf or @A11ey, and we'll check it out!