cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chipped keyboard?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Chipped keyboard?

I've had my Photon Q for just over five months now, and I have all but raved about the phone; the keyboard is absolutely perfect, with just the right amount of push and click for each key, perfectly set, distanced, etc, etc, etc. Unfortunately, I've hit my first issue with the keyboard of the phone, and I wondered if anyone else has had this issue. The keys on my phone have started to chip off. I noticed it about a week ago first, when I realized that there was a tiny sliver of backlight coming through the bottom of my 'N' key where it shouldn't have been. Then yesterday, while I was texting a friend, about 25% of my "A" key chipped off to show the clear casing of the key, with the backlight shining through. Just now, the exact same thing happened to my "S" key.

I don't text a lot, although I do use the physical keyboard for pretty much all typing, and I haven't abused the phone. It hasn't gotten wet, or been left in any humid environments. I can think of no reason why the black covering on my keys should be flaking off unless there's something wrong with the covering itself. Has anyone else run into this?

8 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Chipped keyboard?

Owned since launch.  Have the same issue with letter "A".  Happened within the last week.

Journeyman

Yep, has happened to my wife's Photon Q also.  The "W", "E" and left shift keys.  Including yours those are some of the most used letters so seems wear related but shouldn't happen so soon.

Journeyman

My Photon Q 4G LTE Keyboard is also made of a layer of elevated Plastic which is chipping away, too. 13 keys total are chipping away and some you can't see the letter/number associated with the key.

Another problem is that the keys get stuck and double-type the same letter, sometimes triple-type, when I only press it once.

I took my phone to a Local Sprint Phone and they said it is not covered as a Manufacturer's defect OR under the HIGLY PRICED INSURANCE I PAY for "Total Equipment Protection" (False Advertising, if I do say so myself), because "it is wear, not a defect." How is it that, out of all my other phones with Verizon that I have ever had with the QWERTY Keyboard on them, I never had that problem??? But it is NOT a defect?

Sprint and Motorola are FOUL Businesses if they cannot recognize their errors in their Products & Services.

NOW SECOND ISSUE, every since the Latest Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE System Update from ICE CREAM SANDWICH to JELLY BEAN, the entire Phone and is going crazy and I have followed the Scripted instructions that Sprint and Motorola ALWAYS give me to solve a problem, the Soft Reset, Power Down and Power Up, etc. Now they want me to do a "FACTORY RESET"???? SERIOUSLY??? I am in Advertising and Promotions, I have multiple accounts and settings and apps that I have to work with every day and rely on for my Family & Home Safety....you want me to wipe-out my phone because of your ERROR of rolling-out a System Update that was NOT thoroughly Tested before ever being sent to a massive amount of Loyal Customers????!!! They must be training their Customer Service Reps to act dumb or they only hire those who don't pass the "Common Sense" part of the Test for getting the Job! CRAZY! SMH

Journeyman

My keyboard is doing the same thing with the A and E so far.  It's very frustrating that I specifically bought this phone because I thought motorola was a trusted brand by product and service and it has been neither.   The keyboard has been just the icing on the cake of irritation. Motorola, who is proclaimed to have some of the best reception, has fell by the wayside with this phone.  The other reason I got this phone was because of the keyboard that slid out.  I'm not a huge fan of trying to touch key on the newer phones.

Sadly, I don't want to give up this phone solely because of a couple chipped keys.  The alternative is no slide keyboard at all, which I really would rather not do.  It seems most manufacturers have stopped with the keyboards because there have been "problems" with the slide function and that it wears out.

It would be nice if someone @Sprint.com would read these boards and help us all out.  As of late, I can hardly trust their service and reception to work, let alone following up on any other problems.

So, I totally understand where the rest of you are coming from.  In 10 years, I've never been so irritated with this company.

Journeyman

My space bar is 1/3 chipped off as well as slivers of backlight on some other keys. I'm also now getting the double/triple letters after only 1 click as well as randomly letters I push won't show up, so at any given time the word "color" could end up as "ccolor", "cooolor" or " olor".  SO frustrated - and to have them tell me the paint on the keys is "cosmetic" and does not affect the function....I'm pretty sure it doesn't "function" as intended if I don't know what button I'm pushing!  SO fed up with Sprint!

Master

TheBrandiGroup,

I hear your concerns. At your convenience, take your device to the nearest repair center for diagnosis: www.sprintstorelocator.com.

*Julian

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

We have all done that.  I got told that the warranty does not cover it - it counts as "cosmetic" damage.  This is the 3rd Sprint phone (2 LG's, 1 Motorola) that I have been given the same answer, we have 5 phones on our plan, 3 are Motorola Photons.

I know that the store we took it to was a Corporate location as well (the franchise location in my city tried to charge us for things saying it was "Policy" when it wasn't, then refused to help us activate phones we did not purchase from their store).

Master

SweetRaven, 

Thank you for posting with us.  I am sorry to hear of the issue you are having with the keyboard. This definitely sounds like a phone issue with the keyboard covering possibly being defective. The manufacturer warranties their device for 1 year as long as it is not physically damaged (ie cracked screen). Have you reached out to Motorola to see if there is an issue with this happening?  I would try contacting them and keep us posted as to what the outcome is.  

Thank you,

Anthony

Social Care Team  

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat