cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move apps to SD card in slot?

Journeyman

Move apps to SD card in slot?

I wiped my 16 gig SD card from my old phone and want to move big apps to it. Do apps install by default to the built in 8gig not-really-an-SD-card or to main memory?

5 REPLIES 5
Wizard

Re: Move apps to SD card in slot?

GreggAlan,

The pre-installed apps are saved to the phone. Are you wanting to move them to the SD card? What device do you have?

*Jessica

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Photon Q 4G LTE. (The subforum this is posted in should give you a clue.)

Would be nice to be able to move large apps and games to the external SD card.

Wizard

GreggAlan,

I apologize I was so eager to assistant that I over looked the sub forum name. Are you getting errors when trying to move these the apps? Please let me know  if you still need assistant.

*Jessica

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

This appears to be a "feature" of most phones and tablets with Android 4 and later. They have main memory and a permanently installed "SD Card" or "USB Storage" and whether apps get installed to one or the other is under the control of the operating system. Do all apps that can be installed and run from an SD card on other phones automatically get installed on the 4 gig "SD Card"?

What you don't get is the ability to install anything to the External SD, not without some software hacking, so the external card can only be used for storing of media files. If a web browser supports it you can direct it to download files to the external card.

On the Photon Q, the way it mounts the external card and internal "SD Card" when connected to a computer is also limited. Files cannot be directly accessed by programs on the computer. They must first be copied to the computer. The same for saving files to the phone, they have to be first saved to the computer's local storage then copied or moved to the internal or external storage on the phone.

Having the ability to at least mount the external card as USB Mass Storage would be a big help, especially if the phone's camera storage for photos and videos could be redirected to it instead of using up space on the 4 gig "SD Card" internal storage.

To make any changes like this, Sprint would have to work with Motorola and Google. Not likely there will be any more updates or fixes (such as to the problem of the Photon Q getting stuck on charging mode) since its last update was to Android 4.1.2 and the latest "Jelly Bean" version is 4.3.x and the next major Android version is in the works.

Wizard

GreggAlan,

I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from. I do wish there was more that I could offer to you. However, I will conitue to research to see if there is any capability for what you wish to do without having to use a thrird party application. Thank you for voicing your concerns.

*Jessica

Spritn Social Care Team

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat