cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photon Q's battery

Journeyman

Photon Q's battery

I am thinnking to order Q but i am concerned about the battery.  To Q owners, how is the battery life?

18 REPLIES 18
Master

Re: Photon Q's battery

Motorola Q has Non-Removable 1785mAh, lithium-ion battery with up to 7.5 hours continuous talk time.

Abe

Journeyman

Yesterday was my first full use. It was completely charged and I got about 10 hours out of it when when I finally plugged it in at 23% life left in it. That includes installing lots of apps and all the constant playing involved with getting familiar with a new phone. Not bad in my book. Better than I would have gotten out of the Epic 4G it replaced that still had its original battery (also purchased pre-order).

The built-in battery is the biggest negative I'm trying to come to grips with so this experience will determine if I ever buy another.

Journeyman

Did you use LTE at all during any of that ten hours of use? I'm definitely getting this phone. I'm totally over the whole locked SIM and build in battery. The only other thing I want to know is if it works with any of the Motorola laptop docs. If the answer is yes, then that's just one more reason to get it. At this point, I'm done with the 4S. I don't care what the iPhone 5 is or isnt. Jobs is gone. The trance is over.

Journeyman

Ah yes the battery is my biggest concern. Thanks for the review.

Any other users want to comment on the battery? I have a Touch Pro2 now, I can't imagine the Photon Q being any worse.

I'm just worried about when it dies completely, do you have to replace the phone?! :\

Journeyman

I'd be concerned about that too, but have been using an iPhone 4S for almost a year and if it died, I can take it to Apple and they will replace the battery. But then, I have Apple Care for two years on it. I wonder if Sprint is offering anything comperable to that for this phone because I'd hate to think that if the battery died and would not charged, I'd have a problem getting the phone repaired or replaced during a two year contract. Can anyone confirm what kind of insurance coverage Spring provides for this phone?

Journeyman

Sprint uses Asurion for insurance. It's an additional fee per month. If I remember correctly $8 per month and then $100 - $150 deductible to replace phone.

http://protection.sprint.com/

Journeyman

I would love to hear more comments on battery life.  Anyone using gps a lot?  I currently have the EVO Shift and rely on changing my battery once a day.  I'm not in a position to plug in to charge, so carrying spare batteries works great.  I need to upgrade as the Shift does not have enough room to upgrade apps, (Sprint -- please give us a way to get rid of apps tha come preinstalled that we don't want/need.  I.E., Sprint Football, taking up room, not a working app, but we can't get rid of it.  People, 2 Twitters, Nascar....I guess it's a way to build in obsolesence so we'll upgrade!)

I use Free Caddie Pro while on the golf course,  then Distance Calculator and Pandora while walking.  No way one battery charge will get me through using those in one day!  And I'm working thru all this, so phone, email and texts, too.  Also Kindle reader.

So, if anyone has used a gps app for any length of time I'd be very anxious to hear how this phone does!

Journeyman

I'm getting pretty poor battery life compared to what I expected (and what's advertised).  Still trying to figure out if I have other programs running behind the scenes, but it drained from 23% to 11% overnight without any voluntary apps running.

Journeyman

I actually think my battery life is getting worse. I turned off the ability to search for 4G hoping it will help.

I noticed yesterday, fresh off the charger, my battery life had dropped from 100% to 90% with only about 15 minutes of data usage. I was in an area I get a pretty reliable 3G signal. Yet there are times my battery doesn't drain as quickly as I would expect.

I'm still having issue turning off apps running in the background. I use the Yahoo email app and my phone is constantly dinging new mail. On my old Epic all I had to do was turn off sync an it prevented constant updating. It doesn't work on this phone. I love the look of the time/weather widget but I think it will be next to go.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Today was my first full day of use.  The battery life was not so great.  I chkd email throughout the day , sent a few texts, and made one 20min phone call.  I also used gps for about 10 min (I had location services off until then).  Fully charged at 7am and done by 5pm. 

Dont know if this is a dud but I was really disappointed.  I had to keep turning off wifi and also had brightness at the lowest setting.  The user experience has been great except for the battery life.

Any advice of couse would be appreciated but my intent was just to provide feedback to the original post.

Journeyman

Ugh, this battery is the only reason I haven't upgraded yet. I imagine if it was really bad there would be more people posting, yes? Anyone else out there having issues?

chrlee - an issue I have with my Touch Pro2 now is that the battery drains FAST if I'm in an area with a weak signal since the phone is constantly searching... maybe that's your issue?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat