cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photon Q with wrong time (zone) in 4G LTE mode

Journeyman

Photon Q with wrong time (zone) in 4G LTE mode

I recently upgraded two of the phones on my plan to the Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE phones. So far we like the phones. Last week Sprint turned on the 4G LTE network in my area (Chicago suburbs). Now on one of the two phones when the phone picks up the 4G LTE network, the time zone changes from CST to EST. As soon as you back to 3G, the time corrects its self. The issue is that this only happens on the one phone. I have contacted Sprint and gone through the powercycle, update profile, update PRL routine several times to no avail. The tech support does not know what to do.

I tried manually setting the time, but as soon as you go back on the system, it changes back.

Anyone else have this issue? Is there any known fix? Why would it only on one phone?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16
Journeyman

Re: Photon Q with wrong time (zone) in 4G LTE mode

UPDATE:

So far Sprint has not been of any help with this issue. We have done multiple factory resets of the phone and even deactivated it and reactivated it just to have the time zone go one hour ahead in 4G LTE mode. The other Photon Q phone that I own is fine.

I asked Sprint to replace the phone and was told that I either need to pay the insurance or have the store try and repair it. Very disappointing since the issue was reported to Sprint with the phone less than 30 days old and only started when the 4G LTE was activated in my area.

A huge hassle that could be avoided if Sprint would replace the phone that they (not a sprint store) sold me. It is obvious that there is a phone problem when the factory reset does not correct the issue!

alwein666,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this!  I would like additional information from you so that I can better assist you. I am sending you a private message.

I look forward to corresponding with you!

Journeyman

I have this same issue, but with a Samsung Galaxy S3. I'm in Libertyville, IL. When I turn on 4G (it would be nice to turn it on without needing to restart the phone...), my time is always an hour ahead. When I switch back to 3G, the time is correct again.

Journeyman

I wonder if it has something to do with how Sprint has the phones setup in their system as some phones (including different models/brands) have the same issue. I have two of the exact same phones side-by-side with the same settings. One has the issue of it jumping to the next time zone and the other identicle phone does not. This makes the calendar and alarms off.

Hopefully Jazzgirl7777 can shed some light on the issue.

Let us know if you find the answer as will I.

Thanks!

Journeyman

While I don't have LTE service in my market yet, I did have a similar issue on 3G and WiMAX in my area (Tampa), with a tower near my office. Although I'm in Eastern Daylight, the phone would display Central Standard. When I left the area, everything was OK. This suggests to me, that the tower site was not set to the correct time zone. For that reason, I refused to perform any factory resets on my own device. The problem has since been corrected. I suspect you may be having a similar issue with the programming of your local tower sites.

Journeyman

I have the exact same problem. I upgraded from an Evo Shift 4G to the Photon Q 4G LTE just last week. Every time 4G kicks in for this phone, it shifts my clock ahead one hour. I was surprised to see the 4G was actually working. I'm in the west suburbs of Chicago and I don't get 4G at home, but I have been getting it at some random places. I was just in Bolingbrook and 4G kicked in and it shifted to EST just like yours. Maybe it isn't officially rolled out yet and they don't have the clock set correctly on the network (?). Very annoying. I haven't yet called in to Sprint, but I may try this afternoon.

Journeyman

I called in to Sprint and spoke with a tech. He said there was an internal memo sent out regarding this issue. Apparently it's a known issue and probably a bug related to the rollout of the new network. The clock for the network is just set incorrectly. He suggested that if you're currently experiencing the issue and have 4G enabled, you can try and run an Update Profile and Update PRL. I can't confirm because I don't get 4G at my house, but the next time I'm in a 4G covered area I'll give it a shot. In either case, the problem should resolve itself in time. In the meantime I'll probably just turn off my 4G antenna.

slizzzap,

You beat me to the punch!  I was hoping to keep you from calling in unecessarily.  I was working with another Community member regarding the issue that you are experiencing with the incorrect time stamp with 4G/LTE. 

We are currently implementing within the Chicago Market area.  We are steadfastly testing and working out any ''bugs or glitches'' in preparation for the official launch.

You are welcome to connect to 4G/LTE when you are in an area that has the connection.  We should have the incorrect time stamp corrected by launch.

You are welcome to update your profile and prl, however if updating doesn't resolve the issue, then the glitch is within the connectivity to 4G/LTE.

I appreciate you also posting the information that you did receive from Care.

If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

With Regards,

Jazzgirl7777

Social Care Support

Journeyman

Here is an update on the wrong time zone issue.

As of this past weekend (10/20/12), we are now receiving the correct time in 3G and 4G LTE. I am keeping my fingers crossed that issue is permanently resolved. At least now we can use the alarm and calendar reminders without having to worry.

Thanks again Jazzgirl7777 for all your help!

Journeyman

Just activated my Photon and have traveled back in time.  Thursday, September 20th, 4:50 PM; my wife's, however, seems fine.  Something seems wrong here.

Journeyman

SheikhYerbouti.....not sure what area you are in, but in the northern burbs of Chicago it took a few weeks for it to work it's self out, but we were only one hour off. It sounds like you may need a profile and PRL update. Here it appears to have been a system issue of the 4G LTE conversion, but Sprint didn't seem to be aware of the issue. Sprint's rep Jazzgirl7777 was a great help.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat