cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Play store and Gmail crash on launch.

Journeyman

Play store and Gmail crash on launch.

Got a Photon Q today, trying to get all my stuff set up and transferred from my Epic 4G. Contacts were easy to export and import, found an app for exporting and importing the text messages. No way to export memos but I only had 5 or 6 actually important ones so I just typed them into a text file on my computer.

The problems come along with Gmail and Play Store. Took hours for PS to see my new phone. Gmail won't synch at all. Sat there for over two hours before it finally gave up. I have less than a dozen messages on my Gmail account, synch should be practically instant.

Now neither Play Store nor Gmail will launch. They start up then instantly stop. Play Store did work for a while but didn't show that I had any apps. Trying Google Talk (which I am not going to use, ever) to see if it works and... nope! Just sits there on loading accounts. It's all tied into google+ so it should work, but the google+ app can't contact the server.

Internet over the cellphone connection *is working*, I can use Chrome just fine, so it's not an issue with that not working.

I got an Android (4.0.4) tablet a couple of months ago and all of this "Just Worked" without a hitch over WiFi.

4 REPLIES 4
Wizard

Re: Play store and Gmail crash on launch.

GreggAlan,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Did you try to powercycle the device? If not, I suggest doing so. If that doesn't work please send me your name and telephone number and I will send your phone a refresher and we will take it from there.

Dania

Social Care

Journeyman

Apparently it was Google being Google. I found many other people having the same issue with various Google apps doing the same thing and the fix is to clear app data for ALL apps on the phone.

Google is also being very slow about synching up new phones to accounts. Took a long time after getting the store and gmail to stop crashing before I could login, and some more hours before anything could be downloaded.

Another issue is the Photon Q is very picky about its USB cables. I was using one from an Energizer charger, was working fine, also works fine on an Epic 4G. Then suddenly the Q decided it no longer liked that cable and disabled all data download except text messages and refused to go to any USB mode other than charging until I got the cable that came with the phone from my bedroom where I plugged in the charger.

So a question you might always ask about Photon Q issues is "Are you using the cable that came with the phone?" "If you no longer have the original cable, try some different ones to see if anything changes." "The Photon Q sometimes acts like a spoiled brat that didn't get the toy it wanted for its birthday.".

Journeyman

Apparently it was Google being Google. I found many other people having the same issue with various Google apps doing the same thing and the fix is to clear app data for ALL apps on the phone.

Google is also being very slow about synching up new phones to accounts. Took a long time after getting the store and gmail to stop crashing before I could login, and some more hours before anything could be downloaded.

Another issue is the Photon Q is very picky about its USB cables. I was using one from an Energizer charger, was working fine, also works fine on an Epic 4G. Then suddenly the Q decided it no longer liked that cable and disabled all data download except text messages and refused to go to any USB mode other than charging until I got the cable that came with the phone from my bedroom where I plugged in the charger.

So a question you might always ask about Photon Q issues is "Are you using the cable that came with the phone?" "If you no longer have the original cable, try some different ones to see if anything changes." "The Photon Q sometimes acts like a spoiled brat that didn't get the toy it wanted for its birthday.".

Wizard

GreggAlan,

Haha, that's a great analogy. I appreciate the feedback and will keep that in mind.  I'm glad that things were resolved even if it took longer than expected. Let me know if anything changes or if you have any other issues. 

Enjoy your weekend!

Dania

Social Care

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat