cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

photon q repeatedly displaying error: vsncp registration error 5:p-GW Reject

Journeyman

Re: photon q repeatedly displaying error: vsncp registration error 5:p-GW Reject

I still continue to get the VSNCP Registration Response Error.  VSNCP Error 5Smiley Tongue-GW Reject. after software update.    I don't know why, but it randomly pops up.  So far it doesn't appear to affect anything and I can swipe it off the notifications bar to remove it.  Just wish I knew what it was.  also it seems battery life isn't as good now.  i did clear the NFC data and will see if error message stops.

Journeyman

Re: photon q repeatedly displaying error: vsncp registration error 5:p-GW Reject

I started getting this same Error #5 today on my Photon Q 4G, I have had LTE service since got the phone 2 weeks ago, but now it only registered 3G service, tried turning the phone off and back on, no change, I swipe the message away but it comes back every time, I've seen it at least 15 times today and it's ANNOYING, especially since I had SOLID LTE service at home, was getting 12-14Mb/s speed consistently, until today. I don't want to be told to take the phone back to switch it out, if this is going to happen to every Photon Q thats out there. Does anyone know what is going on? Why won't Sprint address this? Very unhappy at this point!

Journeyman

where do you live, is LTE officially launched in your area?

Journeyman

I'm in Los Angeles, it launched here last month, we also have a Galaxy S III and it gets LTE signal just fine too, and I got it on my Photon Q since I bought it about 2 weeks ago. then suddenly today poof! Nothing but 3G and that stupid ERROR message. I don't understand if it's a issue with the Photon Q specifically or not. But I'm hoping it will be resolved soon.

Journeyman

I read that updating my profile to fix an error (an extra ".com" or something) would fix this problem, but once you reach a certain point you need a password from Sprint. So I contacted them through online chat for that. They updated my profile remotely and fixed that error and everything was fine...until this morning when I got another error! I am so sorry I got this phone. If the problem is not having access to LTE, why did they sell me the phone?! They knew all I have in my area is 3G, and we discussed this. Plus, the battery randomly empties out even when I am not using the phone at all. Wifi is set to be always off, but it turns on anyway, and sometimes uses 30% of the battery. One day it lasts about 10 hours, the next, using it the same (say 30 texts and 2 phone calls, for example) the next day, I start out at 100% and have to charge it during the day and then it nearly dead by 8 p.m. And I have to put up with this for two more years? I think I should have gotten an iPhone.

Journeyman

No LTE in my area, no 4G at all in a lot of my area. But they knew this when they sold me the phone.

Sprint Employee

Hello Sumisubeth, The software update was the true fix for the incottectly displayed NAI (email address in ##3282#), editing the NAI was just a temporary work around until the software update was ready. as far as battery life goes this phone gets excellent battery life, the power drain you've noticed s not likely random, there is much more to the duration of a charge then simply how many minutes you have talked/browsed the web, or how many sms/mms that you have sent ot received. likely you have a sync account (email, facebook, picasa, Etc..) or an applicationrunning causing the phone to consume more battery. Below I've attached an example of battery life breakdown for a phone (most androids will display this by tapping menu > settings > Power > Battery use > then tap on the battery bar which indicates time on battery)  You will see according to the chart that at times even though the screen was off, there was a significant drain on the battery because an application was keeping the phone awake, one can also save battery by making sure unused features are disabled, like setting mobile network to CDMA only, tuning off wifi/bluetooth, Etc.(NFC being on could be causing the vsncp error to appear) Please let me know if I can help answer any questions. Thank you, Chris.  

2012-12-13_11-30-21.png

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Thank you Chris. Well, after the last update, it was fine for a while. But I got an error message last week, as I stated, and went through the profile fix. Today I got another one. So apparently neither fixed it. (VCNCP Error 5P-GW Reject.) As for battery, I have no need of Wifi because I have unlimited data, so I have it turned off everywhere possible. Yet it often appears in my battery use as being responsible for as much as 30%! But when I check under "data usage" it shows 0 wifi usage. I do not have many of the apps I would like because the phone drains so quickly. I have auto syncing turned off everywhere possible, except Gmail contacts. On many days, I do not  open Facebook or email often (a few times a week), especially if I am away from a charger. I have a task killer on automatic, and was told this might be the problem so I disabled it for a while but the battery drained  more quickly without it. And because apps randomly open whether I use them or not (Sprint ID, Facebook, etc.), I need something to close them or the phone starts to lag. Twice it has locked up completely when I went to use it. The screen turned black and I had to try several times to get access to the "turn phone off" screen.

I just double-checked everything: wifi is and was off. bluetooth is and was off. NFC is and was disabled. CDMA was set at: CDMA/4g. At home, I only get 3G and sometimes not even that (maybe 1 or 2 bars). At work and other places I do have access to 4G. Surely having 4G turned off all the time is not a solution.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

From what I've determined the error that you've mentioned (VCNCP.....) is related to NFC, and is not related to the NAI. Since this phone is not allowed to use Google Wallet yet, I don't see a cause for concern. Smart Actions may be reenabling WiFi, Bluetooth, Etc. They will still consume power being on, even if not connected to a specific device, or network. My mistake on the LTE, I thought you wrote that there is no LTE in your area. I personally would leave it set to CDMA only if I lived in an area with no LTE, or CDMA/4G if in an LTE capable area. I recommend going without any task killers from the market since the phone manages tasks on it's own, just remember to exit applications by pressing the back button repeatedly, unless the app has an exit/quit option. I also may suggest leaving sync enabled, but use something like juice defender to govern your background data usage.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Thank you for responding! What they told me at the Sprint store was that LTE was not the same as 4G. In areas other than my home city, I do have access to the same 4G we've had for several years, but it may be a while before we get the LTE. I have no idea what the difference is supposed to be.  I haven not had a lot of luck getting apps to quit without a task killer. I was told to swipe them off using the "recent apps" button, which seems to help, but does not always close the app.  I quit using Juice Defender a while ago because it seemed to use a lot of battery, but if you think that would be more helpful I'm willing to give it a shot once more. Smart Actions hasn't had anything worthwhile to offer me, so I'd love to disable that if I can—if the app permits this, is there any reason not to?

Journeyman

Also, I'm still not sure what to do about that error message. Is it telling me I did not receive something that was sent to me? When I started receiving it before, I found there were a lot of messages I never received. This issue seems to be very specifically related to the Photon Q and no other phones. How do you think I should proceed?

Journeyman

So aside from all of this, does anyone know WHY this error has suddenly started popping up? Mind you I didn't start getting it UNTIL the LTE service in my area disappeared, prior to this I had no problem and was getting GOOD and consistent LTE service here (I'm talkiing about my home), since the LTE service has disappeared the error message has appeared at regular intervals every day, I swipe it away but with in a couple of hours or less it reappears. I admit I don't know much about the phone as this is my first Motorola unit, prior to this I was using pretty much exclusively Samsung. I'm not wondering if I should have stuck with them if there is going to be a issue with the LTE service and the Motorola phones keeping a connection to this service. I mean why should I keep paying $10 extra a month if I get nothing for it????? Oh and to be clear, the other phone on my account a Samsung Galaxy S 3 has lost LTE service here at home too, but there's no issue with this Error #5-8 that has plagued my Photon Q.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat