Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alway getting security change

Go to solution
Journeyman

Alway getting security change

For the last few months now ive been constantly getting the "We've updated our security select a phone number to send an 8 digit code to"...normally this wouldnt be an issue just an extra step to take but first off i do not have a phone on my account so i cannot text it to myself and secondly it also constantly changes the site im accessing sometimes itll work properly and show that im the account holder then others itll just act as if im just a user its honestly getting quite frustrating because i only access the online to view usage and to check upgrade elibility on my lines
88 REPLIES 88

As I mentioned in PM last week, @sprint17years the Web team is willing to investigate your specific session logs to determine what may be causing the problems you're having.  If you decide you want to participate, I invite you to send me the information I requested in PM.  

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

I appreciate that, but it's not my account nor should users need to repeatedly report, post, send messages or info as a part of the solution -  prior to posting here I reported this appx 4 times with 3 different departments, and everyone "looked into it" and told me it was a glitch.  If now, they are sending message down that its this "new security measure" then why would they also be looking into it or need user information? In 20 years ,whenever there's a site issue that's more than just one person, the tech team takes care of it without customers needing to be involved. It's one thing to send in a quick report, another thing to resort to threads like this 2+ months after the issue started.

It's a widespread problem, and nothing to do with what I'm doing on my end, so there are only 2 possible reasons -there is a glitch affecting a percentage of users, or they implemented the most ridiculous and ineffective "security" measure that is an utter failure.

I want to particpate in this too! I have to have that stupid code sent EVERY SINGLE TIME I try to login to my account at Sprint.com. Annoying ... yes... reaching frustrating when I just want to check my account from work (and have to have that stupid code sent to my phone that I can't get because my phone has no data signal in the building) absolutely aggravating! Guess preparing to budget and pay my bills is too big a security risk for Sprint. Go figure. Glad I'm not on any contract... thinking of leaving this old territory behind... I have been with Sprint over 15 years and service is getting worse not better.

Here is what we know as of 4/25/17:  

Passwords:  Customers may be required to change their password if they have not logged in to My Sprint for a few months and/or under certain other circumstances.  In very rare cases, some customers may have to show I.D. at a store.  You should only have to reset your password one time during that process.  If you are being asked to reset your password repeatedly, we need to know about that and have your specific account issue investigated.  Please post in this thread for assistance.  

Secondary verification process:  For the time being, customers can expect to verify via SMS or email code when accessing their My Sprint account and/or performing certain activities.  These activities can include but are not limited to logging in to your My Sprint account, paying your bill, viewing or changing preferences.  Logging in with a dynamic versus static I.P. address is one of the factors that affect how often and when you'll be prompted but it's not the only factor.  There may be times when you'll have to go through the process more than once in the same visit to the website.

I acknowledge that this is not a best case scario nor is it particularly user-friendly.  I hope that at some point, we find a better way to secure your information, but for now, this is what we have.  

If you never receive the email code, please check your Spam folder.  Lots of folks send our stuff to Spam (no hard feelings) and some spam filters pick it up just because.  If you checked your spam folder and still don't have it or if you requested via SMS and the code never arrived, please post here.

If you never ever ever receive the SMS or email code, we need to know. 

I am marking this the Accepted Solution because the question is answered.  The Accepted Solution mark is not meant to indicate that an unpopular decision or activity has been reversed or changed, it means "We have an explanation or the accurate answer for what is happening."  In this case it means this is what is expected and how you can tell if something is not working as designed.  

Additionally, Accepted Solutions are embedded in the first post of every thread and therefore quick link to the most accurate information we have, even if that information is not popular or convenient.

I am going to close this thread to further comments and open a new one so that we can investigate what we know to be system problems.   If you are having one of the issues mentioned above:  repeated password resets, unable to reset or unable to receive the SMS code, please post here.

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

View solution in original post

Journeyman

Sprint (like basically every company that you pay bills to) wants you to sign up for autopay as this means that they get more consistent payments. Also, autopay usually reduces customer turnover rates. And it makes it more difficult to dispute a charge on your bill and get a refund since your money is already gone.

So they have little incentive to make it convenient for their customers to log-on to their website to pay their bills manually.

Every month when I log on to the sprint website to pay my bill I have to:

input my username and password

input my zip code

input the last 4 digits of my social security number

input my PIN (which I never use for anything besides this, so I have trouble remembering) or the answer to my security question

input a code which they send to my email or phone

All this just to pay my bill... and it has been this way for months..

I pay all of my bills online (water/sewer, electricity, gas, internet) and none of them are anywhere near this inconvenient...

So they are either deliberately making the process inconvenient to push people to autopay or they just have no incentive to improve the process, again, probably to get more people signed up for autopay...

I would love it if Sprint would prove me wrong and go back to just needing a username and password again...

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat