cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Unlock A Phone That Was Received By Sprint Insurance Company - Previous Owner - Previous Bal.

Highlighted
Journeyman

How To Unlock A Phone That Was Received By Sprint Insurance Company - Previous Owner - Previous Bal.

About 6 months ago we sent in a phone that had been broken in order to get a replacement from Asurion insurance which we were paying for each month via Sprint.  We are now trying to get that phone unlocked.  That phone is paid off and we are out of contract.. HOWEVER, Sprint refuses to unlock the phone because of a previous balance.  

That balance was incurred from the previous owner (of the refurbished phone) that we had received from the insurance company.. and Sprint is asking for the original PIN number.  Both of these we have absolutely no way of acquiring... and Sprint refuses to tell me how much the previous balance even is.. without those two items... 

So, how does that work?  What do we do next... we have paid off OUR contract and OUR phones.. but apparently the insurance company didn't clear the phone or the balance from the previous owner.. and now I am stuck.. because I can't unlock the phone NOR pay they bill or even see how much it is.

I called Asurion.. and they were not helpful. They were just going to send me a new phone.

How do I fix this problem?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
GrandMaster

the easier route would probably be having Asurion send you a different phone that isnt tied to anyone still...especially one with a debt still on it.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community Manager

Based on your description...this is how it works.  The unlock process is automatic, meaning if all the requirements are met, the unlock code is sent to the device and it's unlocked.  Most of the time it's transparent to the customer.  When we do have to intervene, we only look at the ESN/MEID.  If that ESN comes back hot, that's pretty much it.  This would explain why it was not done automatically if it had a balance.

If Asurion gave you an ineligible phone, then I would take them up on their offer and take the new phone they offered to ship to you.  We would unable to unlock your current device with a balance on it.

@NotHappy0123 wrote:

About 6 months ago we sent in a phone that had been broken in order to get a replacement from Asurion insurance which we were paying for each month via Sprint.  We are now trying to get that phone unlocked.  That phone is paid off and we are out of contract.. HOWEVER, Sprint refuses to unlock the phone because of a previous balance.  

That balance was incurred from the previous owner (of the refurbished phone) that we had received from the insurance company.. and Sprint is asking for the original PIN number.  Both of these we have absolutely no way of acquiring... and Sprint refuses to tell me how much the previous balance even is.. without those two items... 

So, how does that work?  What do we do next... we have paid off OUR contract and OUR phones.. but apparently the insurance company didn't clear the phone or the balance from the previous owner.. and now I am stuck.. because I can't unlock the phone NOR pay they bill or even see how much it is.

I called Asurion.. and they were not helpful. They were just going to send me a new phone.

How do I fix this problem?

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

NotHappy0123. That doesn't sound right. Let me look into that for you. My name is Juan and I'm with the Sprint social care department. Please send us a private message with your name, account holders name, phone number, account PIN or answer to the security question. Include, the MEID of the replacement device.

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat