cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Down, Network Connectivity Limited Sandhills Columbia, SC 29229

Highlighted
Journeyman

3G Down, Network Connectivity Limited Sandhills Columbia, SC 29229

This has been a recurring issue, due to the population explosion and propagation of data devices in the last 3 years.  Unfortunately the house of cards fell this past shopping season in December. 

1st and 3rd tests, 2nd failed to upload and timed out.   Results recorded Friday before 4PM outside in the open.

This is an open letter to Sprint to please finally do something for this area that has repeated problems.  I can no longer recommend Sprint to friends in this area simply because the service does not exist.  Everyone I know with Sprint has network issues in the same area.  Brand new phone less than 30 days with the $10 Premium Data add on.

12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Re: 3G Down, Network Connectivity Limited Sandhills Columbia, SC 29229

Another week and still no answers? Here is another data test to exemplify Sprint service(?) in the area.  Still takes 4 times to call out limited calls in.  Texting is 50/50.   Any other Sprint users with this problem please post here.  486 Town Center Pl Columbia, SC 29223

Wizard

AJColaSC,

I'm sorry you're experiencing issues. It does appear that we have had several issues in that area in the past couple of weeks and one of the current tickets is showing an ETR of 1/15/12, that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be resolved fully however because it looks like the estimated time was pushed out a couple of times already. Any time we have outages it can put extra strain on the other towers surrounding the area which will result in lower performance unfortunately. The current open ticket for the outage affecting that area is 8494436.

Journeyman

Another test taken Friday @ 4:33 PM.  Before serious usage begins, during peak hours the network is almost useless for everything.   Is this now the expected service level for the area until the end of 2013?  I have lived with slow/no 3G in this area for over a year now, but ever since the iphone/December I am left with dialup speeds, failed texts and calls.  CAN THIS BE FIXED?

Journeyman

Another week; another Friday test.  Done right before 10PM.    Down    /     Up 44 kbps / 35 kbps

Wizard

It does appear we are experiencing capacity issues in that area unfortunately, it does look like we have improvements planned in the near future (https://network.sprint.com/search/29229/) and this is in addition to our continued rollout of the Network Vision improvements. If you would like you can send me a private message with your phone number I would be glad to look into the issue more with being able to pull up your exact address etc.

Journeyman

Speeds were slightly better for a week or so (250kbps) but things are back to the 100kbps max again.

Journeyman

Data log for 3/12/2012 3:56 PM. Consistent 95kbps down / 27 kbps up.  Oh how I long for 2007/2008 and 5-600kbps, consistently.  Network still pretty unusable during peak times and during the weekend impossible.

Journeyman

Well it is now going on over 6 months on tower with problems and after having the ETR continually pushed back (Jan>Mar>April>May) due to slow/no 3G, I'm exuberant to report:

EVDO is no longer functional; coverage is 1x RTT only.

SMS and voice calls during peak hours are 50/50.  The new updated ETR for improvement is now at the end of June 30.  I am not very optimistic.

The band aids are not working.  Verizon has several towers covering the area <1 mile away.  Will Sprint ever develop a real plan for proper coverage for an area with TWO Sprint stores with limited-functioning 3G display phones?

Master

I completely understand your frustration.  I can tell you that the closest tower to 486 Town Center Pl Columbia, SC 29223, has 5 upgrades scheduled in the next six months, more than I've seen on "one" tower. 

The second closest tower has 2 upgrades for data in the next few months. 

To answer your question, we DO have a plan for this area and have recognized the need for capacity enhancements for this area.  We genuinely want to improve your overall service in this area and we greatly appreciate your patience. 

T

Journeyman

AJ,

I am in the same boat. I have 5 phones on my account, 2 of which have been with Sprint since early 2001 or so. 4 of the phones are the 4g phones. I pay good money for service that I do not get. I sit in my office near downtown Columbia SC and can only achieve 20-70 kps download,and usually under 200 for upload, all while having a full signal. The data is useless. I can not download the simplest of apps or use the ones I need for my business. In my house we have to use a Airrave, that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I miss calls and texts, only to get bombarded with them after I leave in the morning to work. It has been this way for well over 2 years. Horrible coverage, horrible service. Each time I call I get the same old song. I was even told to get new phones last year. We did, all new 4gs ones. Then after calling back I have been told must be something wrong with all the new phones, go to the store, or its a outage we are working on it. Calls are constantly dropped, sometimes we never get them, just the voicemail left afterwards. I thought I could wait it out till it got better, I have now figured that that is going to take to long.  Verizon is 2x the price, but atleast you are getting what you pay for. We will be going that route shortly. The cell and data service here in Columbia SC is unacceptable on Sprint, has been for a long time, and will be for the extended future.

Journeyman

Has anyone seen any recent improvements in 3G in the Columbia,SC area?

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.