cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G coverage in Paducah, KY and Metropolis, IL?

Patron

Hi,

I'm curious if anyone here may have an idea about 3G coming this way.  I live in Metropolis, IL (62960) zip, and my tower seems to register as "Jefferson, IL" although noone here knows of a Jefferson.  The only tower I know of here in town is, of course, next to the interstate, but it is merely a 1X tower.

Myself and 3 others I know are waiting for contracts to expire to switch to Verizon, as they've got ample 3G here in Metropolis.  We're all aware this is mainly a Tier 3 market, so wouldn't really expect to be a priority.  But navigating up I-24 into the middle of absolute nowhere...once you're about 10 miles west of Metropolis on the interstate, EVDO lights up, and the entire route to Cape Girardeau is 3G.  Vienna, Cairo....all of it.

I spoke with a rep recently who stated "If you look at the map you'll see you're right on the edge of 3G coverage."  On Android 1.5 I was able to switch to use only the 3G network, and I could use it for data at least....although text messages would not work as those transfer on the 1X network.  So I'd really like to run hybrid here...often in my home I don't even receive a 1X signal for the data network, although I have 2-ish bars for voice somehow.

Obviously I can't use Verizon's 3G here since I catch a Sprint 1X tower - so I'm screwed there.

Paducah seems odd too, so I'm curious if anyone knows when Sprint might have non-roaming EVDO there as well?

If anyone has some input on this, it's sincerely appreciated.  Other than a "coming soon, please be patient" I mean.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Patron

Hi,

I'm curious if anyone here may have an idea about 3G coming this way.  I live in Metropolis, IL (62960) zip, and my tower seems to register as "Jefferson, IL" although noone here knows of a Jefferson.  The only tower I know of here in town is, of course, next to the interstate, but it is merely a 1X tower.

Myself and 3 others I know are waiting for contracts to expire to switch to Verizon, as they've got ample 3G here in Metropolis.  We're all aware this is mainly a Tier 3 market, so wouldn't really expect to be a priority.  But navigating up I-24 into the middle of absolute nowhere...once you're about 10 miles west of Metropolis on the interstate, EVDO lights up, and the entire route to Cape Girardeau is 3G.  Vienna, Cairo....all of it.

I spoke with a rep recently who stated "If you look at the map you'll see you're right on the edge of 3G coverage."  On Android 1.5 I was able to switch to use only the 3G network, and I could use it for data at least....although text messages would not work as those transfer on the 1X network.  So I'd really like to run hybrid here...often in my home I don't even receive a 1X signal for the data network, although I have 2-ish bars for voice somehow.

Obviously I can't use Verizon's 3G here since I catch a Sprint 1X tower - so I'm screwed there.

Paducah seems odd too, so I'm curious if anyone knows when Sprint might have non-roaming EVDO there as well?

If anyone has some input on this, it's sincerely appreciated.  Other than a "coming soon, please be patient" I mean.

Thanks.

Bump.

Patron

Re: 3G coverage in Paducah, KY and Metropolis, IL?

I was in the Sprint store by the mall across from Hancocks and they said we where supposed to get it any minute.  I don't believe them because I have asked when I call Sprint and they don't see any information on it. It is all the way down I-57 from St. Louis all the way to Memphis, why wouldn't it be from St. Louis all the way to Clarksville on I-24.  I keep saying I am going to switch, but it is a lot more money to go with Verison on ATT.

Patron

Funny I was in there last week and both of the people there told me that they already had 3G (EVDO).  She showed me that she had it on her EVO.  I didn't buy it, I don't get it on my Hero.  But they have no clue about customer service OR phones, so I don't trust a word they say, just like everyone else in Paducah.

However, a very reliable source, who requested I not post about it or mention where I got the information, told me 2 days ago that all the hardware is in place for all the towers in Paducah and Metropolis, most of West KY.  It should be switched on by Nov 1st at the very latest, but more than likely in the next month.

So I'm very happy to hear that.

It was also mentioned that the bidding has begun in our region on the 4G/WiMax conversion, so we should see 4G within 6 months to a year (crossing my fingers!)

Patron

You are right about neither one of them having a clue is to what is going on or how to take care of a problem.  They have messed up two of my wife's phones.  I will now only go there for basic information.

Thank you for the information on the 3G, lets just hope that it comes true.  I will just be happy for 3G, if 4Gwifi comes that will be great.  Lets just take what we can get. I can't believe that she had it on her EVO, why wouldn't your phone have it, or mine(I have a blackberry), it comes on my phone when I go to MO.  I have been having a lot of problems with my phone, like going to voicemail and not getting text until later.  Someone told me that was because of test, but who knows.

Patron

How did she mess up your Blackberry?  (Sorry for laughing, but it doesn't surprise me)

I found out today that the reason her phone always shows the 3G is because it always shows the 3G, on all EVOs.  Apparently it's just grayed out, but she's too stupid to realize that when the little up and down arrows light up and the 3G does not, it's only on 1X.  I should have realized it when she gave me the snippity glance and flashed her phone at me.

I'm amazed that woman is running a business, especially for Sprint, as far as they've come.

Honestly, and oddly enough, the Best Buy guys are very knowledgeable and eager to help, from my experience.  Radio Shack isn't terrible, but they certainly aren't in the know, either.  Best Buy has the $10/mo. Black Tie thing which I wish I had, too.  Phone breaks, you walk in and swap it for a refurb, no deductible.

Plus with Sprint, there are so many rebates.  When I bought my Hero, it was $100 less out the door at Best Buy because they have a contract with Sprint to give you the rebate instantly.  With the dealer I'd have had to wait 6-8 weeks and probably bug someone.

Every time I deal with that woman I'm half tempted to open my own store, honestly.  I would imagine if Sprint had another choice they'd probably shut her down.

I feel mean saying that though.  It's probably a very stressful job running your own dealer, and she has at least one kid to support, so I should digress :-)

Patron

She messed up my wife's LG Rumor.  It was having problems and she said that it need updates, when she tried to update it, the phone got wiped.  She said that she backed it up before she updated it and said that it wouldn't be a problem.  In the process the phone got fried and wouldn't come on any more.  So she ordered a replacement.  The new refurbished phone looked like it had been dragged through gravel and dropped off a building.  I know that is not her fault but still. Ordered another refurbished phone and it was great.  Well when she tried to put all of the old information on the new phone, the file was missing or gone.  So the wife lost like 100 numbers and a bunch of pictures.  A couple months later we got her the Moment, worked great for like two months and it started acting up so we took it back to them and this time he said that it needed updates and the same thing happen.  He said he backed it up before the updates, then updated the phone, everything gone again.  No file of backup.  Wife pissed again. We trust them for nothing.  We usually go to Clarksville at exit 4, then go about 5 miles down that road.  They are always helpful and knowledgeable, and its also like a satellite corporate store, which is better then the private in Paducah.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.