cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G upgrade Shreveport/Bossier City finaly HERE??!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

3G upgrade Shreveport/Bossier City finaly HERE??!!

I have been told over and over again by sales reps that Sprint should have been flipping the switch on the EVDO network on Oct. 4.  It hasn't happened.  BUT I did go into a store and talked to them about it the other day.  They told me that techs were in the area working on towers as we spoke and should be flipping the switch soon...  I have the EVO, so of course it always shows I am in 3G coverage.  I downloaded an app to allow me to see where the towers I am using are, what the BSID, NID, SID, of course the carrier, and if the signal is 1xRTT or EVDO Rev-A or Rev-0.  I don't know it if its the app not working properly or if what the sales reps are telling me is true, but the app will switch every once in a while to EVDO Rev-0 Sprint.  When its showing its running on the EVDO network my phone does not show that it is roaming either.  Could this be it?!!? Any one elts in the area able to test this and see if they get the same results, or maybe know somthing about the app named Antennas on the droid market that I don't know???

Joe

Message was edited by: jgratson86

UP DATE:
JUST USED MY DATA SERVICES ON MY PHONE THEY ARE FLYING!!!  Will give an up date on the speedtest....

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: 3G upgrade Shreveport/Bossier City finaly HERE??!!

Awesome..yes, please use the Speedtest.net app and let us know the speeds.  And as you've already found out, the EVO and Epic have the 1X data services icon overwritten with one that says 3G.  Only way to fix that is by rooting and applying a theme that has the icons corrected.  I did this to my Epic so I can see when I'm in 1X.  I see too many times that my phone has given up on 3G and stuck on 1X since the 3G service in Baton Rouge is so poor.

Journeyman

I live in Shreveport (I have an Epic 4G) and downloaded the "Mobile Signal Widget" recommended on Android Central and it has not shown any flucuations that I have noticed. It always reads 1X in Shreveport/Bossier. I know the widget works fine b/c when I travel it switches immediately to show whatever is used in the area. I was in Orlando, Fl with 4G on and when I drove to Kissimmee with 3G it immediately showed the change.

I am so hoping that we get 3G soon. I'm sick and tired of being told it's coming for the last 4yrs since I moved here.

Journeyman

UPDATE: 3G upgrade Shreveport/Bossier City finaly HERE??!!

UPDATE:

I wasn't able to get a speed test because my signal is going in and out.  I am no longer geting EVDO signals as of today.  I called sprint tech support and asked them what was going on, and if they were doing any updates to the towers in our area.  They told me that they did not see that the towers in my area (20 and Old Minden Rd. meet) were 3g yet and did not see that there was any work being done on them, BUT he did say that it looked like they had area leased for EVDO transmitters on most of the towers I would be using...  SO with that said I am going to speculate that they were testing the transmitters on Nov. 4 in my area.  And I sure do hope that is the case...  I will keep track of this and keep this post updated.

Journeyman

Re: UPDATE: 3G upgrade Shreveport/Bossier City finaly HERE??!!

jgratson86 wrote:

UPDATE:

I wasn't able to get a speed test because my signal is going in and out.  I am no longer geting EVDO signals as of today.  I called sprint tech support and asked them what was going on, and if they were doing any updates to the towers in our area.  They told me that they did not see that the towers in my area (20 and Old Minden Rd. meet) were 3g yet and did not see that there was any work being done on them, BUT he did say that it looked like they had area leased for EVDO transmitters on most of the towers I would be using...  SO with that said I am going to speculate that they were testing the transmitters on Nov. 4 in my area.  And I sure do hope that is the case...  I will keep track of this and keep this post updated.

They are filling you with garbage to get you off the phone...  there's no leases needed to add EVDO.  They add the additional equipment in the cabinet at the base of the tower and thats it.

Journeyman

ok this makes sense becuase the only real difference between EVDO and 1xRTT, is that EVDO is time multiplexed.  I really hope it comes back soon though.  I got that taste of blood in my mouth and want it back!!!  I am from out of state and knowing what its like to have 3g all the time is killing me.  By the time we get it here they will have 4g where I am from haha...  I don't understand why they wouldn't have 3g in this area in the first place, they have Barksdale AFB in this area, and its so close to Dallas TX.  OH well if it made sense I guess it woudn't be sprint.

Journeyman

BREAKING NEWS: MONROE AND RUSTON, LA WENT LIVE EVDO REV-A THIS MORNING! Keep the faith Shreveport, they said it's coming this way!

Journeyman

I hope you are right.  This is ridiculous how long we have waited.

Journeyman

Using a palm pre in Shreveport and still at 1x. Did confirm that Ruston now has 3G from some friends up at Tech. This now confirms that Shreveport is the black hole of sprint service. 3G now surrounds the city on the north, east,south and west. Maybe this only means Shreveport is the next stop for it. Just tired of the waiting game.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.