cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G in Bakersfield, California

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have looked through numerous blogs and websites trying to get an estimated date of when Sprint will offer the 4G coverage in Bakersfield, California. They recently opened the market in Los Angeles which is only 2 hours away so I was hoping it would be happening fairly soon. Please let me know if anyone has this information. Thank you

17 REPLIES 17
Journeyman

Re: 4G in Bakersfield, California

I tried the 4g network on Orange County and I got 7.5mb down and less than 1mb up.

I live in San Gabriel Valley though and my Evo 4G struggles to connect to 4G. The 3G is actually even better!

I think there's some kinks that still need to be worked out

Journeyman

I recently signed up for Sprint and got the 4g Evo because the Sprint representatives said that 4g was scheduled for mid 2011. June was the month both reps mentioned. I don't know if they were both just pulling my chain to get me to sign up, but both were from different stores (Radio Shack). One was on Mt. Vernon and the other on Niles. Both mentioned mid 2011. I can't wait. They also mentioned that with the EVO 4g, you don't need anything extra or even pay more per month. When available you simply turn on the antenna on your phone for 4g. I just hope that I live in the right area where service will be recieved. I hate it when they only include downtown areas and not residential areas.

UPDATE: When I joined one month ago. 4G was only in Visalia. Now one month later, I looked at the coverage and it has spread to Tulare and Porterville. It is spreading, so this makes me happy. I don't know how they decide which cities because Fresno and Bakersfield are some of the larger cities, but still no 4g....go figure.

UPDATE June 16, 2011: 4G available in the area around the Circuit City complex near California Ave and Real Rd. I downloaded at over 8mbps. This is faster than most home internet (AT&T DSL) providers. GREAT. Please update if you get it somewhere else around the city. Thanks

WebImageStream7.gif

Message was edited by: lupetsandoval

Journeyman

Ya I don't understand it either.I'm in Bakersfield & they keep saying that it should be here soon but they won't give a date. I was under the impression that it was already running & everyone has it when I up graded in jan. so you can imagine my disappointment. And nothing against visilia & porterville but it would make more sence for them to start in l.a. and work there way out, & bakersfield being the next in line..... but hey, I don't make the rules.

Journeyman

i work for sprint they havent given us an exact date on when 4g is going to be released but i know there are a couple of antennas established within bakersfield. i believe at the moment they are running test speeds and making sure that its operational. two antennas are located one by stockdale hwy right of the 58 ends and the other downtown.

Journeyman

4G is now available in BAKERSFIELD. T here is 4g around the California AVE and Real Rd area. I don't know where else. I was on 4g at the old CircuitCity complex and acheived speeds of 8.6 mbps download. The maps have not updated with coverage because it may still not be complete coverage. (Hopefully it expands to at least cover the city limits)

Journeyman

4G is now available in BAKERSFIELD. T here is 4g around the California  AVE and Real Rd area. I don't know where else. I was on 4g at the old  CircuitCity complex and acheived speeds of 8.6 mbps download. The maps  have not updated with coverage because it may still not be complete  coverage. (Hopefully it expands to at least cover the city limits)

Journeyman

I read your post today so I tried using the 4G at my house (I live off White ln) and I actually picked up 1bar lol. I tested both 3G & 4G using the Speed Test app and my speeds were faster with the 1 bar of 4G. If anybody else is able to connect to 4G here in Bakesrfield please post.

Journeyman

I got full bars of 4G on the NB 99 California Ave offramp the other night, but since then its been spotty around that area at best. I can sometimes get 1 bar of 4G but as soon as I step inside, it loses the signal and goes back to 3G. Running the speedtest app on 4G I was barely able to get 1 mbps download. Hopefully this is still being tweaked

Journeyman

bakersfield062911.jpgClick on Map to Expand

Here is the current 4G coverage map for Bakersfield.  Looks like there is just one tower operating now.  It looks like the tower is just east of CA-99 in the Palm Street area (using the center of the circle).

Journeyman

I actually witness myself that there is a tower by CA-99. I just went by and i turned on my 4G and ran the speed test app. I got about 6 1/2MB down and almost 1MB UP. anybody know when Sprint will have Bakersfield mostly covered with 4G?

Journeyman

Unfortunately, the current rollout plan is they are going around the country setting up at least one tower in every Cellular Market Area (CMA) in the country.  This is to satisfy FCC licensing and allow them to easily renew their spectrum licenses next year.  Currently, this is their number one priority.  So most likely, they will not be expanding service in markets until they complete the CMA rollout.  At the rate they are deploying right now (about 10 towers per week), it will take until approx. October/November for them to complete this.

There have been a few exceptions to this, though.  For instance, Lansing, Michigan did receive one tower at first.  Then a few months later, they got one more.  And a few weeks ago, they got one more.  Now they have three.  Bakersfield is a similar size market, so maybe they can be as fortunate.  The same thing happened to Omaha, Nebraska.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.