cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G in Southern Cal (San Diego)

Journeyman

Re: 4G in Southern Cal (San Diego)

I'm leaving Sprint for Verizon if they don't tell me when San DIego will have 4g. Sprint has always said they will be first but ???? I'm very unhappy!!!

Journeyman

I'm hugely dissatisfied with how Sprint has handled support of 4G in San Diego and in Tucson.  Unless they do something fairly remarkable, I see no reason not to hop to Verizon for 4G when my Sprint mobile data subscription expires.

Journeyman

What's amazing is Sprint gouges you $10 extra for 4G that you can't use. $120/yr to have a phone that has 4G printed on it. Really?

I had the Epic 4G and it was garbage! 3 hrs to charge from dead. garbage GPS, often could not get a signal for an entire 15min travel across LA. And, Samsung still hasn't even upgraded it to Froyo. I returned it and avoided a contract. Sprint doesn't care. They have low rates and you have to deal with lack of service.

Notice no comments here from Sprint! they don't care. They are losing money and trying to lie their way back to profitability.

I'm swithing over to Verizon when the new Bionic comes out. It's worth the few bucks extra each month. Maybe if all smart phone people drop Sprint they'll wake up and have better service.

Journeyman

All you people do is complain. You only need 4G for web surfing or Hotspot sharing. SD's 3G is so fast you wouldn't even know the difference.

Journeyman

Say RKWILTZ1 - so you honestly think customers should be charged $10 extra for something they don't get (i.e. 4G but it won't ever get to their area)?

if you really think that, send $10 extra from now on to Sprint, just because you like them. 

Journeyman

There's no feasible way to set up a good 4G system in San Diego County.  The terrain and vast residential areas make it too cost prohibitive. The micro cells and DAS systems that are common in parts of San Diego cannot be overlayed with 4G.  Same goes for South Orange County (some areas will never get 4G). 

Also Sprint does not charge $10 extra for 4G.  They charge a $10 premium for smart phones whether they be 3G or 4G. 

Journeyman

Thanks LARRYT510! I have an EVDO Windows phone and sales guys didn't clarify that it's a $10 premium for all 3G & above phone data plans.

Verizon has LTE 4G in San Diego.http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#/coverage

Maybe this is why there is rumor that Sprint is looking at LTE?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/10/sprint-keeping-its-options-open-with-lte/

Shouldn't Sprint disclose your data that 4G will never be in an area? Of course, "buyer be ware" and "there's a sucker born every minute" are part of marketing. ;-)

I'd say this is what's upsetting people. The know poor service that is just ignored (like EVO 4G that still can't run Froyo and have reliable GPS). Some companies want feedback. Some don't care.

Journeyman

Verizon has the ability to overlay LTE on their current system and having 700 Mhz spectrum helps a lot.  Clearwire and Sprint cannot do that with WiMax and 2.5 Ghz.  Wimax requires a network built from scratch and because of the way Sprint's network is designed in San Diego it's almost impossible to bring complete 4G to market there.  The best they can hope to accomplish is setting it up in the main downtown areas and along some of the freeways where cell site spacing is close enough.

Journeyman

RKWILTZ1

I'm not looking to use 3G or 4G with a smartphone.  I'd like to be able to connect my notebook computer to a 4G dongle or mobile hotspot, and I don't watch television or maintain a land-line subscription, so I'd like to be able to use a 4G connection as my regular 'Net connection at home.

At a San Diego Sprint Store and on the Sprint website, I was offered 4G devices (at extra cost) with no warning that they'd never be usable as such in this area.  I didn't buy one, but I looked forward to getting one when 4G service got here.  Now, seeing Verizon supplying 4G and contradictory mutterings coming from Sprint reps, I'm quite unhappy.

I wouldn't be markèdly unhappy if Sprint couldn't get 4G going in the whole of the city of San Diego (and county-wide 4G would have taken a miracle); but Sprint should have had and kept it up-and-running in the higher density areas before Verizon did.

Highlighted
Patron

LARRYT510 you seem knowledgable with RF I would hope sprint would be the same.  I have a few things I would like to say first how can anyone say the $10 extra a month is not a 4g charge when it is only charged to people or phones who can access 4g?  What is so premium about a phone that has the ability to receive 4g but do to no service can only get the same 3g that all other smart phones get with no extra charge. 

If sprint is going to advertise they have a nation wide 4g network don't you think they would of done some research on the technology they are going to invest millions of dollars into (WiMax).  You have to be an idiot to not factor in terrain when building a nation wide anything.  It look to me like the grabbed the firsts thing available and when they seen the other carriers using a different technology they are thinking they made a wrong decision. 

I read a actical that sprint might merge with T-mobile.  if they do this they are without a doubt the dumbest company in the world.   Buying a company that is not compatible with your current network is not a good idea (Nextel).   Learn from your mistakes sprint.

Not just to bash on sprint they do have good prices and plans that do make sense and easy to understand they just have some serious problems in there engineering department. 

Journeyman

As of Februrary 1st, all smart phones activated have the $10 charge whether they are 3G or 4G.  So no it's not just a 4G charge anymore.  Instead it is now a smart phone charge.

Journeyman

No I don't think we should be paying for service that the area isn't getting. I agree with you.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.