cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G in Southern Cal (San Diego)

Journeyman

Re: 4G in Southern Cal (San Diego)

Ah, clarity again LARRYT510! thanks!

I did remmeber that in buying the EVO 4G the $10 was just for 4G (that wasn't yet available in Los Angeles). Of course, I gave that junk back to them and got all my money back.

Now that Verizon and Sprint at the same price, there is no reason to put up with Sprint any more. It was just price for me. Used to be they had the coolest phones, by the poor software of the 4G, broken GPS, etc.

You helped me be clear that Verizon & Sprint now cost the same so I will switch soon. Thanks!

---

P.S. Sprint, are you listening? bogus ad campaigns aren't working any more. you've got to have some clear advantage over the other carriers or you'll keep having record losses each quarter. Some overpaid wall street exec at the top needs to get fired so Sprint can actually serve customers.

Patron

EROLFOX6 can you explain to me  how Verizon is priced the same as Sprint.  I got a quote from Verizon the other day and it was $60 more for my 3 line family plan.  What I get from sprint for $70 Verizon wants to charge me $90. 

I look forward to your answer. 

Journeyman

I have a $99 everything plan. With a new 3G phone, I'll go up $10.

Verizon also has $99 plan, but text messaging is $10.

(last time I checked)

So works out now to be the same.

Journeyman

I'll simply note that if all providers bundled the same services in the same way, and if Sprint were cheaper than Verizon for all bundles, then Verizon would tank. (And vice versa, of course.) Uncompetitive bundles exist largely as an artefact of how other, competitive bundles are assembled, though also partly as a result of their being some folk out there who don't shop-around.

Bottom-line: YMMV.

Journeyman

I know when I switched to Sprint back in November last year it was being advertised that the extra $10 charge was for smartphones that had 4G capability which were only the Epic 4G and Evo 4G around that time.  It was also advertised that 4G coverage would be coming to San Diego around December 2010...it's March 2011 and still no 4G coverage!!  Now you're saying that they charge all smartphones that are 3G and 4G capable the extra $10 now as of last month.....with that being said that only tells me that Sprint has only implemented that to cover up the fact that they screwed up and now we the customers have to pay for it....LITERALLY!!!  Now how is it that they want to charge 3G smartphone owners this extra fee when smartphones and 3G technology has been around for years and they never charged that years back???  I may not be a genius, but i'm pretty smart enough to know that they started charging that extra fee to cover the cost of what it's gonna take to eventually get 4G coverage and redo the 3G coverage that exists now so that they can compete with Verizon by utilizing the same technology they currently have.  Had I known that it was gonna come to this I could've just went back to Verizon or just stayed with AT&T and continue to get raped by the prices they were charging until my contract was up to switch carriers. LOL

Journeyman

Caveat emptor (ancient Latin) - Let the buyer beware. (This is the key to capitalism. We've just got to remember that corporations love us and always do what is best for us, just like the Emperors and Kings once did. LOL)

All the networks are looking at rate increases or tiered plans by this summer. Just too many people watching and uploading to YouTube, which was never imagined a few years ago when the networks were built. So, I do understand the Sprint $10, and CEO is "saying" they will stay "unlimited".

But remember too, Sprint is close to being bought out by T-Mobile, owned by Deutsche Telekom, mostly because of all these continued failures to deliver I'd say (first 4G but you'll never get it, EPIC 4G that still hadn't been updated to Froyo, etc.) The CEO will make out like a bandit and the customers will get to be on T-Mobile network, the only one worse than Sprint. LOL

If you can find an actual advertisement of 4G in San Diego you could have grounds for a class action (this is how change happens on wall street). BUT, you won't find a real promise. What probably happened was Sprint sales kids that hyped the idea HOPING 4G would come some day. Like most retail people, they are just doing a job they could find because they have bills to pay. They aren't empowered with information. Check out www.engadget.com gang.

Journeyman

Umm....  San Fransisco is WAAAAAAAY more hilly than San Diego.... and it has 4G!

Journeyman

With SBC (which likes to call itself “AT&T” and pretend that it's the old Ma Bell) now buying T-Mobile, it's extremely unlikely in the near term that T-Mobile will in turn buy Sprint.

I'm not sure how the behaviour of Sprint decision-makers will respond to the SBC acquisition of T-Mobile.  It may cause Sprint executives who feared riffing to feel that they have a breather (to slack, or to get a grip).  If SBC is thought to have acted wisely, then this is a greater challenge for Sprint; if SBC is thought to have acted foolishly, then Sprint may feel that they face less effective competition.

Journeyman

Yes, SF is indeed a lot more hilly than San Diego, but it also has a greater population density.  The city itself is sufficiently compact that a healthy person can routinely walk everywhere.

Journeyman

I think Sprint, like most American corps, is just asleep and has no direction. They are just trying to make Wall Street profits, not actually have a direction or goal. Trying smoke and mirrors to try to regain lost subscribers. Lots of high-paid execs with no vision and golden parachutes even if the company fails.

They are like Borders or Block Buster. They have no Unique Selling Proposition any more and goofs like dead-end 4G and Epics that don't get upgraded, let alone huge area that never had service, what do they stand for?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was able to get on 4G today in the San Marcos, CA area.  Looks like they are in a testing phase.  

Journeyman

I have been on 4G all day long at my workplace in San Marcos, Ca.  It is running around 5MPBS with a download time of 1MPBS.  Lets see when downtown gets it...

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.