cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G in Southern Cal (San Diego)

Journeyman

Have been on 4g for about a week now in san diego. To be more specfic college area off montezuma just to prove I took a screen shot

http://img848.imageshack.us/i/30434729.jpg/

and to think I almost went to verizon

Journeyman

It's spotty so far, but it does seem that we are indeed, FINALLY going to get some love....

They must be testing during the day & then turning it back off in some areas south of downtown..

I've been using a program called 'Sensorly' that maps out the known 4G areas in any area..  It's worth giving a shot, if you want to see where you're good with 4G at.

Journeyman

There is full 4G coverage in Escondido.  It is coming to San Diego very soon!

Journeyman

Sprint 4G in National City!

Journeyman

Yup, the "Sensorly" app for Android does indeed map out area's in San Diego that are beginning to get 4G coverage.  Confirmed that the area's on El Cajon Blvd in North park between the Water Tower & the 805 Hwy do indeed have 4G coverage.

9pm on a Wednesday night, phone connects to the Sprint 4G network, gets a new IP address, Signal Strength is WEAK, ran "SpeedTest" app, downloads varied from 13.4 - 84.7kB/s, uploads 4.8 - 46.7kB/s.

Journeyman

Go to www.clear.com, click on coverage map, type in your zip code and you'll see shaded in green the parts that have 4G coverage.  For those of you in San Diego, there is much more coverage out there than you think.  Type in your zip code and then zoom out on the map to see the big picture.

Just because the Sprint maps aren't showing 4G coverage in San Diego doesn't mean it isn't out there in many areas.  Still a work in progress though, with coverage growing.  Also, those coverage maps are pretty darned accurate.

Journeyman

Re: 4G in Southern Cal (San Diego)

I live in Downtown San Diego and just got 4G service!  It was in the East Village around Island and 10th. The reception was really weak but it was still twice (or more) faster than 3G.  I wasn't expecting 4G here until 2012, so getting it 6 months early is a bonus. I really love my HTC EVO, but now I am having a full on sexual affair with it!

Journeyman

Re: 4G in Southern Cal (San Diego)

Buying a used HTC Evo would thus seem to be a signally bad idea.

Journeyman

At cross streets of LOve & Aviary Pkw in North County I got about 2Mbits down using my new Sprint 3G/4G

Hotspot from Novatel; had about 2 bars of signal(not strong); anxious to get back to Las Vegas

(my home city) to see if I can get 5-6 Mbits out of this puppy..;thanx to Zolts about the heads up on

clear.com coverage map..appears that it is pretty accurate...there are 4G hotspots here and there in

San Diego county and it appears that Escondido/San Marcos area is fairly rolled out with WiMax

Journeyman

When streaming a downloading HD on epic you really need 4G.  Other than that I agree as far as speed go's.  Its not necessary when surfing web and actually I do it with the hotspot.  However,  we pay for phone service an extra ten a month for 4g premium service.  Yet no service.  I won't complain if I get reimbursed my ten dollars!

Chuck

Journeyman

Wrong about the ten dollar fee.  I had a samsung moment smart phone and did not get charged ten till I went up to a epic 4g.

chuck

Journeyman

There is no $10 fee that's exclusively to 4G.  It applies to all smartphones activated after February 1st whether they are 3G or 4G (with the exception of the Sasmung Replenish which gets the $10 fee waived). 

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.