cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Albany, NY - Any word on when we get 4G?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just wondering if there has been any word of 4G coming to Albany, NY.

That'd be great.

21 REPLIES 21
Journeyman

Re: Albany, NY - Any word on when we get 4G?

I know what you mean, how can 4G not be in New York City?  I have my EVO on half capacity.

Journeyman

They are rolling out 4G in NYC already.

I am getting 4G signal in Brooklyn, Crown Heights.

Journeyman

Will 4G be available on Long Island at all?

Journeyman

About two months before the 5G rollout.....:)

Journeyman

I talked to a Sprint tech working on a tower near I-90 and I-787 and he told me that 4G should be on by the end of January. I also talked to a rep at Clearwire who runs that 4G network and they say the same thing...by the end of January.

Journeyman

good to know.. i got evo and returned thinking it will be long wait.. but now i am getting it back.

Journeyman

It is currently in test mode in the central state street/woodlawn areas of Schenectady. I can attest to this personally as I have been on 4g in the areas and have maped it using sensorly on the EVO.

Journeyman

What is the latest on this? Still in test mode? I've tried in Hudson, Albany and East Greenbush and no luck.

Journeyman

It's a shame, T-Mobile is live with 4G already. I guess sprint needs to change their ads to "First is really kinda second..."

Journeyman

It's kinda disappointing Sprint hasnt announced specifically what cities it plans to expand to by the end of the year, like they did back in 2010. I guess if your not living in a major market, Sprint's message is "You'll get 4g whenever we get to it, but we'll keep taking that extra $10 a month in the meantime". I was in NYC and tried out the 4G indoor, only had a 2 bar signal, but the SpeedTest got me 5MBPS DOWN/ 1MBPS UP. Download speed is about half of my cable internet, but upload was identical. Very impressive to have that kind of speed for a cell phone. Would be really great if Albany could get in on the 4g action sooner rather than later.

Verizon set a pretty lofty goal with LTE for this year, too bad Sprint hasn't.

Journeyman

Yea I guess that Sprint tech was wrong because 4G isnt anywhere near Albany. I drive to New York City and Boston on a weekly basis and honestly the 4G sucks bad. Stilll to this day it constantly cuts in and out between 4G and 3G. I just keep the 4G off because the 3G is more useful because it doesn't cut out. I have been playing with the HTC Thunderbolt which is closely the same as the EVO except it uses the 4G LTE instead of WiMax. In the same areas that Sprint's 4G cuts out constanly, Verizon's 4G LTE stays on and runs crazy fast and never cut out. Verizon also is going to have 4G LTE live in Albany within the next few months. Currently Verizon is builing the 4G LTE network in Hartford CT and surrounding areas and that's on the same schedule to be built here in Albany. I think I'm jumping ship...with my work discount I'd be paying about what I'm giving Sprint for 2 lines. Anyways, not to bash but it is what it is.Verizon will have close to double the 4G coverage by the end of the year of what Sprint and Clear are building. Oh yea...4G with the Wimax has HORRIBLE indoor reception to. Verizon's 4G LTE worked just the same no matter if you are indoor or outdoor.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.